Sudden drop off the sky - refund
2227 26 2017-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gebagia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119386 ft
Greece

I bought  from a local retailer, a DJI Phantom Standard 3. From then till today I  tested the drone and flew it around some areas in Athens, Greece. Today I  flew the drone and all of a sudden it fell off of the sky and in to the  sea. The drone didn't had any problem it just drop out of the sky. Of  course I don't have the body because it fell in the sea and it was  unsafe for me to swim and take it.

The weather was perfect and you can see  the specific forecast for the area and the specific time. Also I secured  all the four of the propellers before flight. I would like them to  replace it for me or refund me because as you can see from the files I  didn't do anything wrong, it just fell of the sky. I am uploading the  last flight log. I am here to testify my dissapointment on the product.

I also concerned because on the DJI helpdesk it says that my case is solved, the number is #506153 I cannot see why.

I send the video/account/email/txt/cvc files to Dji and I think they 'll refund me. The link of the video is below:

2017-4-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Based on what's provided, they closed #506153 due to transferring the information to another system for flight data analysis and would continue correspondence from there. If you have not received that information yet, the new case number will be CAS-584130-H9X2N6.

Since the case was opened yesterday, it will take some time to extract the data from the Go app an analyze thoroughly. I understand that there is a feeling of apprehension in this matter, but the Support team will be in contact with you once the data has been properly interpreted.

Just from reviewing the video off hand, you were getting copious amounts of interference warnings. Whether it contributed to the incident, I wouldn't know for sure. They will be able to give you a difinitive soon.
2017-4-19
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I were getting that many warnings, I would land immediately.
2017-4-19
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-19 08:12
Based on what's provided, they closed #506153 due to transferring the information to another system for flight data analysis and would continue correspondence from there. If you have not received that information yet, the new case number will be CAS-584130-H9X2N6.

Since the case was opened yesterday, it will take some time to extract the data from the Go app an analyze thoroughly. I understand that there is a feeling of apprehension in this matter, but the Support team will be in contact with you once the data has been properly interpreted.

I'm not sure why the DJI team continues to ignore the erroneous "Strong interference" messages on iOS. I can fly in a deep rural area, far from any wifi or power lines, and will still get the messages every 5 seconds.  Further, a friend who has a PS3 on android doesn't get the same errors in the same area.  IF connect to his PS3 with my iPhone and fly - boom - same errors.    For you to tell someone that this message is meaningful only tells me you are out of touch, or have been told to lie about it.
2017-4-19
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Can someone please come over and hold my monitor upside-down please?
2017-4-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Porktree Posted at 2017-4-19 11:52
I'm not sure why the DJI team continues to ignore the erroneous "Strong interference" messages on iOS. I can fly in a deep rural area, far from any wifi or power lines, and will still get the messages every 5 seconds.  Further, a friend who has a PS3 on android doesn't get the same errors in the same area.  IF connect to his PS3 with my iPhone and fly - boom - same errors.    For you to tell someone that this message is meaningful only tells me you are out of touch, or have been told to lie about it.

I had said that I would not know whether or not the warnings contributed to what happened. The ones that will be reviewing the embedded data will be able to verify what happened. False messages can be debunked when that data is read.

In regards to what you have experienced your self, have you made any flights in that area with the v3.1.10  iOS app recently? Was what you've experienced with this version or with v3.1.8?
2017-4-19
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-4-19 08:50
If I were getting that many warnings, I would land immediately.

As I wrote before about this warning(strong interference) you always get them in an urban environment, you have to go deep in a rural area with no buildings and metallic objects nearby not to get them. As I said to the post the flight was in Athens, Greece the most build-ed area in the country.
2017-4-20
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

Porktree Posted at 2017-4-19 11:52

Totally agree. I got them continuously
2017-4-20
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-19 11:56

So sorry I wish there was a way to do this! :-)
2017-4-20
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-19 08:12

Thank you very much for the information I was very upset and sad about the accident because I didn't know the reason of the failure. I know I was super careful and when I saw the drone sudden fall I was in shock. I still am in shock.
2017-4-20
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-19 11:56

Issue resolved, the screen is now been rotated
2017-4-20
Use props
Rene vd Meer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There was also a compass error just before it crashed. Was there anything in the neighborhood that could explain interference or compass errors?
2017-4-20
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-19 12:45
I had said that I would not know whether or not the warnings contributed to what happened. The ones that will be reviewing the embedded data will be able to verify what happened. False messages can be debunked when that data is read.

In regards to what you have experienced your self, have you made any flights in that area with the v3.1.10  iOS app recently? Was what you've experienced with this version or with v3.1.8?

I only got my P3S in late January, so the iOS app I started with was 3.1.5 (if memory serves).  It has been happening since then.  This seems like a known issue among all the different P3 forums.
2017-4-20
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

Rene vd Meer Posted at 2017-4-20 04:56
There was also a compass error just before it crashed. Was there anything in the neighborhood that could explain interference or compass errors?

No everything was clear, I think it's because the body of the drone rotated in not a normal way during the fall.
2017-4-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Porktree Posted at 2017-4-20 05:05
I only got my P3S in late January, so the iOS app I started with was 3.1.5 (if memory serves).  It has been happening since then.  This seems like a known issue among all the different P3 forums.

What OS version are you running on your device? Have you done any updates to that lately as well?
2017-4-20
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

And here you can find the last video as I exported this from the DJI Go app for iPhone

2017-4-21
Use props
fanse8bebdca
New

United States

I had the same thing happen to my drone yesterday. I was flying and without warning my p3 standard stopped flying. I had one message right before it stopped. Max speed reached and then crash. I looked at the logs and I went a top speed of 19 mph and that's it. Can anyone help me understand what happened?
2017-4-23
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

fanse8bebdca Posted at 2017-4-23 08:51
I had the same thing happen to my drone yesterday. I was flying and without warning my p3 standard stopped flying. I had one message right before it stopped. Max speed reached and then crash. I looked at the logs and I went a top speed of 19 mph and that's it. Can anyone help me understand what happened?

You should send them the reports that you can find inside the app on your mobile and they'll check the data and see if it was a mechanical problem or false control buy the user. I send mine they tested them and they told me today that they are sending me a new drone, without the controller.

I send my data in this address:

http://www.dji.com/support
2017-4-25
Use props
rausda27
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36926 ft
United States

Makes you wonder if the erroneous " strong interference detected" messages are a false input by DJI to have an out to not cover non-user error.  I too have taken my P3S to an extremely rural area, with no wifi or cell coverage and the message persists...do I need to take my foil hat off yet?
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

rausda27 Posted at 2017-4-25 15:39
Makes you wonder if the erroneous " strong interference detected" messages are a false input by DJI to have an out to not cover non-user error.  I too have taken my P3S to an extremely rural area, with no wifi or cell coverage and the message persists...do I need to take my foil hat off yet?

Just to clarify, are you using iOS or Android? When the Support team reviews the Go app, they can check the embedded data to confirm whether or not it's a false error message.
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

gebagia Posted at 2017-4-25 03:06
You should send them the reports that you can find inside the app on your mobile and they'll check the data and see if it was a mechanical problem or false control buy the user. I send mine they tested them and they told me today that they are sending me a new drone, without the controller.

I send my data in this address:

Good to hear you're on your way to getting this situation sorted.
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fanse8bebdca Posted at 2017-4-23 08:51

I'm sorry to hear, have you gotten in contact with Support to have the unit sent in for further evaluation and repair?
2017-4-25
Use props
gebagia
lvl.1
Greece

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-25 19:38
I'm sorry to hear, have you gotten in contact with Support to have the unit sent in for further evaluation and repair?

According to the UPS site and the shipment number that you provided me, the drone have been delivered somewhere in Austria. As I informed your colleagues via email, I am staying in Athens Greece. The UPS site and also your Repair Progress Inquiry says the drone has been delivered but I didn't receive anything.

Please provide the right shipment number, or informations about the delivery.

UPS

UPS
DJI.PNG
2017-5-8
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Hope you get it replaced!
2017-5-8
Use props
Jerryjin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583146 ft
United States

Really strange !From all the experience I have,this does not looks like any firmware errors causes the crash,it's more like the phantom got hit or propeller fall off,I assume that you keep your drone insight so did you observe the any action of the phantom?
2017-5-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

gebagia Posted at 2017-5-8 03:30
According to the UPS site and the shipment number that you provided me, the drone have been delivered somewhere in Austria. As I informed your colleagues via email, I am staying in Athens Greece. The UPS site and also your Repair Progress Inquiry says the drone has been delivered but I didn't receive anything.

Please provide the right shipment number, or informations about the delivery.

I notified the appropriate team to look into this. You should expect further communication from them shortly.
2017-5-8
Use props
Rafe Hracek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9121 ft

United States

It was definitely a prop spin-off. I've had this happen before and it was devastating. The only way the drone would spin like that would be loss of anti-torque which is why I'm pretty there isn't and drones out there that function with an odd number of props.
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules