Cant Cache Maps on Android
1437 21 2017-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Having trouble caching maps on three different android devices( Tab 6, S5 and S7 Edge). Using app 3.1.5, and previously 3.1.3 with same caching issue. I've used a P34K and a Standard ac ,again with the same issues. All three devices, two phones and a tablet, have cached fine previously, which leads me to think this may be a setting in the Go app I've somehow overlooked?
Opened app on wifi, scrolled and zoomed the area, but on connection to ac and controller, no map update. And, I'm getting google maps erratically.
I'm lost. Anyone with ideas?
Thanks

2017-4-19
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

After being connected to home wifi and downloading some map data to the Go app, are you leaving the app loaded and / or leaving your device powered up?
2017-4-19
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-4-19 11:02
After being connected to home wifi and downloading some map data to the Go app, are you leaving the app loaded and / or leaving your device powered up?

Shouldn't make any difference should it?  
2017-4-19
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-4-19 11:02

2017-4-19
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 428245 ft
Netherlands

I sometimes have the same problem.
@home cached the data. But in the field, the app starts with google.
Then close the app, open the app again and HERE is starting up.
Meanwhile, I have the AC and RC connected.
strange...

P3S, Samsung 5 Neo, Android 6.1 DJI-Go 3.1.5

edit: Happens in airplane mode and normal mode.

(the App is working good, no problems in flight.)

2017-4-19
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Do not switch off the device other wise the cache will be cleared,and the map is lost.
2017-4-19
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

GeoffN Posted at 2017-4-19 12:02

Of course it does.  A lot of Android devices clear their memories when you do a power cycle, power off. And I've even seen this happen if you close and reload an app, even with the device still powered on (if out of range of  home wifi or a hotspot ).  You might see three different things occur, #1 no map image at all, #2 only base map (roads), no satellite data, #3 works just right. Not all devices or Android versions are going to act the same way.
2017-4-19
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Do you have a cell phone a data plan? You could turn on your hotspot option on that phone and connect your device to it out in the field to update the map, then switch over to the Phantom's wifi and your good to go.
2017-4-19
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-4-19 13:57
Of course it does.  A lot of Android devices clear their memories when you do a power cycle, power off. And I've even seen this happen if you close and reload an app, even with the device still powered on (if out of range of  home wifi or a hotspot ).  You might see three different things occur, #1 no map image at all, #2 only base map (roads), no satellite data, #3 works just right. Not all devices or Android versions are going to act the same way.

I do not power phone off after "caching". I do normally close the app, and then reopen at the flight site.
Ill have to try leaving the app  open, but never had the issue before.
thanks
2017-4-19
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2017-4-19 15:50
I do not power phone off after "caching". I do normally close the app, and then reopen at the flight site.
Ill have to try leaving the app  open, but never had the issue before.
thanks

Yes, give that a try. It seems this might be more of an issue since they switched over to the Here maps. Back when we had Google maps I used to only need to leave the device powered on. But since the Here maps I've needed to also leave the app loaded and the device left on. Also remember the hotspot trick on site.
2017-4-19
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-4-19 13:57

Sorry but I really think you're wrong here................ the maps stay when everything is turned off.   This is definitely the case with mine and my son's one too.  Could there be something different on your PS3/tablet?
2017-4-19
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

GeoffN Posted at 2017-4-19 23:06
Sorry but I really think you're wrong here................ the maps stay when everything is turned off.   This is definitely the case with mine and my son's one too.  Could there be something different on your PS3/tablet?

There are many that have this issue, me included. If someone has a device with cached maps working fine when left on during the drive lets say to the area where your flying. But on a different day you forget and turn off your device during the trip and guess what, no map (or not a complete one). The proof is in the pudding. Just because it's working on your's and your son's devices doesn't mean it's going to work with every device out there all running different Android versions to boot. You said it yourself, somewhat in that last line. "Could there be something different on your PS3/tables" The Phantom itself has nothing to do with the caching of maps, but your point on the device (tablet) is well taken. That's my whole point, we're all using different equipment that behaves differently. There's no right or wrong, no it's this way or that way, it just depends.
2017-4-20
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-4-19 18:57
Yes, give that a try. It seems this might be more of an issue since they switched over to the Here maps. Back when we had Google maps I used to only need to leave the device powered on. But since the Here maps I've needed to also leave the app loaded and the device left on. Also remember the hotspot trick on site.

thanks. I never had to leave the app in memory with Google maps, In fact I normally force stop the app to avoid issues with startup occasions. Maybe the force stop is the issue? It doe avoid off the wall magnetic and signal warnings that go away with restarting after a force stop.
2017-4-20
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

Anymore input on this issue? It continues to be a issue.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I have two android tablets - a cheap one and the Nvidia Shield K1 and neither of them have problems with cacheing the google maps.  Doesn't matter whether I keep the tablet on or not.  The maps stay on for 4-6 weeks or so, and then disappear without notice.  So I cache them again.  Good for another 4-6 weeks.  

I don't know what makes them disappear.  I wish it would give me notice so I'd know to cache again.  

Disclaimer:  I use Litchi

2017-4-27
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-27 13:57
I have two android tablets - a cheap one and the Nvidia Shield K1 and neither of them have problems with cacheing the google maps.  Doesn't matter whether I keep the tablet on or not.  The maps stay on for 4-6 weeks or so, and then disappear without notice.  So I cache them again.  Good for another 4-6 weeks.  

I don't know what makes them disappear.  I wish it would give me notice so I'd know to cache again.  

Thanks. I have LItchi too, but have a friend with a new phantom, and he's not quite ready to drop more money.
Strange, but the issue just showed up recently after several app updates.
What app, firmware and are you on.
How do you like the Shield? Am thinking of getting one.
2017-4-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I have marshmallow 6.01 on the Nvidia.  It does crash once in a while.  Some blame the magnets.  I think it's more likely the RC transmitter so close to the device.  I will eventually try foil layers on the back to shield it from the controller transmitter / antenna interference and see if that solves the problem.  The crashing is not often and is not a deal killer.  

The other one is a Neutab  running lollipop 5.0.  It works but crashes too often with any Phantom flight app I've tried.  It crashes about one out of every three flights.  So I use it for my 3G tracking app and it never crashes while doing that.  It's also nice to know I have it for emergency back up as a flight app device.

Both of the above devices cache the google maps and saves them hard.  They can be used over and over again for 4-6 weeks.  Eventually they disappear and I don't know why.  So then you have to cache again.

Yeah I've read lots of posts from lots of people who say you have to leave the device powered up after caching.  I have no idea why this problem persists for some people and not me.  

Yeah I think you'll be happy with the Shield although I don't think it's on the recommended list by DJI.  

2017-4-28
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-28 06:54
I have marshmallow 6.01 on the Nvidia.  It does crash once in a while.  Some blame the magnets.  I think it's more likely the RC transmitter so close to the device.  I will eventually try foil layers on the back to shield it from the controller transmitter / antenna interference and see if that solves the problem.  The crashing is not often and is not a deal killer.  

The other one is a Neutab  running lollipop 5.0.  It works but crashes too often with any Phantom flight app I've tried.  It crashes about one out of every three flights.  So I use it for my 3G tracking app and it never crashes while doing that.  It's also nice to know I have it for emergency back up as a flight app device.

Actually the Shield is on the approved list. there is a note that Nougat OS (7.0) has some issues, so its best to stay on 6.0. Im debating on the shield or the tab s. I like the idea of the hdmi port on the shield though I may not use it ever.
2017-4-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2017-4-29 20:42
Actually the Shield is on the approved list. there is a note that Nougat OS (7.0) has some issues, so its best to stay on 6.0. Im debating on the shield or the tab s. I like the idea of the hdmi port on the shield though I may not use it ever.

msinger says it's not and he's rarely mistaken.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

DJI's page does not have the device listed:

http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads

Where did you get this info?  Do you have a link?

2017-4-30
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-30 02:42
msinger says it's not and he's rarely mistaken.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

Aaah. Device is "devices recommended by Phantom Help (●),"
Not an official approved. Lots of use on the forums by P3 owners though.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/18/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go
2017-4-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

You should have option to CLEAR Cache on powering off device or LEAVE cache ... that is possibly the difference. You need to go into the ANDROID settings after making sure GO settings are to keep cache .. and check ANDROID settings are not to clear cache ....

We have to remember that GO / Litchi etc. are sitting on top of Android system and BOTH have settings to make sure are OK.

I certainly do not leave my Nexus on after cacheing and usually maps are still there when I power up again. I do occasionally lose them - but that's due my own fault usually.

Nigel
2017-4-30
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-4-30 07:52
You should have option to CLEAR Cache on powering off device or LEAVE cache ... that is possibly the difference. You need to go into the ANDROID settings after making sure GO settings are to keep cache .. and check ANDROID settings are not to clear cache ....

We have to remember that GO / Litchi etc. are sitting on top of Android system and BOTH have settings to make sure are OK.

NIgel,  the only chache setting I can find in go app is the video cache "cache locally when recording".
In Android  I cant find a setting for clearing the cache when powering off. The app itself cache can be cleared manually thru application manager and Android cache thru a complex system cache deletion using 3  buttons.
This is of course a Samsung, so there are probably device differences,.
2017-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules