iPad Assistance
1307 38 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

I'm looking at getting an iPad for my P3S as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and the warnings, etc are just too small on my iPhone 6+. I'm thinking about the Air 2 with the 9.7" screen. So I have 2 questions. First...the Air 2 has 32GB of storage, A8X second-generation chip with 64-bit desktopclass architecture and M8 motion coprocessor, 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO, and LTE cellular data connectivity, but this Air 2 has the iOS 8 instead of iOS 10. Will this be compatible and handle my P3S without any problems? Second...because the iPads don't have a slot for an SD card, how do I view the stored pictures or footage on the iPad? Do I connect it directly to the P3S to upload to the iPad?

2017-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Looking at the Go app in the app store it says it requires 8.0 or newer. So you should be fine.
Regarding the other question this should help:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=583619
2017-4-25
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Eric13. I looked at the post you sent, but I don't think the P3S has Lightbridge. I'm still wondering if you can just connect the iPad directly to the aircraft and upload the photos/footage? I thought I saw that somewhere but I can't find it now.
2017-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Sorry, I confused this lightbridge thing with the lightning cable. I'm new to Ipad ;-)
I tried it with my P3S and did what is shown in the image below. Prior to this I took some photos with the P3.
After connection with the Ipad and opening the photos app there was no import function.
Maybe I'm missing something about importing.

Why not use a card reader? Is it about fiddling the sd card from the camera?
Via cable it would be much slower I think. That USB port on the gimbal is for sure only USB 2.0
01.jpg
2017-4-25
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

Thanks again Eric13. I'm thinking the cable from the P3S to the iPad might be slower as well. I was trying to avoid adding extra hardware to show photos/footage to clients, but the card reader might be the best way to go.
2017-4-25
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Ice Viper Posted at 2017-4-25 08:13
Thanks again Eric13. I'm thinking the cable from the P3S to the iPad might be slower as well. I was trying to avoid adding extra hardware to show photos/footage to clients, but the card reader might be the best way to go.

It is technically and actually slower than using a card reader

However in reality it's a few seconds, maybe a minute or two slower

The result is the same

I have always used the USB cable as opposed to a card reader with no problems at all
2017-4-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go for the Mini 4. A 9.7" screen is a bit much to handle.
2017-4-25
Use props
pete m
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4803 ft
United States

You can try this it works on iPhone 5s and should work with IPad
The Apple card reader cost $24
The adapter and micro card was$16 if I remember right.
IMG_0624.JPG
2017-4-25
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

Thanks all. I thought about the Mini 4 and also about the size of the Air 2 on my RC, but I plan to use the iPad for more than just flying and I can get a heck of a deal on a unit through my cellular provider. I already have an adapter for the micro sd card, so all I'll need is the reader. Thanks again.
2017-4-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-4-25 10:59

I'm using the Air2 64gb Cellular, and don't find it heavy, or too large to handle.

It's actually the perfect size, for viewing all the parameters and reading any warnings.
I have tried an iPad Mini, but for some unknown reason, mine heated up.
The Air2 has a built in heat sync, and stays cool to the touch, even after four consecutive flight packs.

RedHotPoker
2017-4-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

pete m Posted at 2017-4-25 12:08
You can try this it works on iPhone 5s and should work with IPad
The Apple card reader cost $24
The adapter and micro card was$16 if I remember right.

I bought one of those lightning to camera sd card reader cables, but found my Air2 can't render 4K video.

RedHotPoker
2017-4-25
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

I also used the 6+ and i recently went to the IPad Pro 9.7 128 GB. It works great and you can view the pics and videos through the app if you want. The Inspire tablet mount fits It perfectly.I just loosen the pivot screw to collapse it down when I'm done so it doesn't stress the mount were it goes through the hole you make to mount it because i do snug it up when i get it into position to use.
2017-4-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Michgolden Posted at 2017-4-25 15:13
I also used the 6+ and i recently went to the IPad Pro 9.7 128 GB. It works great and you can view the pics and videos through the app if you want. The Inspire tablet mount fits It perfectly.I just loosen the pivot screw to collapse it down when I'm done so it doesn't stress the mount were it goes through the hole you make to mount it because i do snug it up when i get it into position to use.

That's a good idea of loosening the hinge screw. It should be a common practice... Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2017-4-25
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
United States

RHP, No problem at all. The first time I put the IPad in ther it wanted to slowly tilt back so I adjusted it and tightened it up. All good until I went to put it away and didn't want to stress the "homeade" threads in that plastic. The little looped screwdriver that the mount comes with works good.
2017-4-25
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

Really glad to hear from those using the bigger iPads as I'm pretty set on getting the Air 2. I'll have to order the holder for my RC as I can't seem to find a store that carries one, so that will be a weeks wait, but oh well.
2017-4-26
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-25 13:42
I'm using the Air2 64gb Cellular, and don't find it heavy, or too large to handle.

Interesting. Have the larger iPads and found them to bulky. I don't have any problem with viewing on the Mini 4. Actually I find it just right for me. I don't like searching the larger screen for the functions. It has never overheated on me. All individual preference.
2017-4-26
Use props
Taydav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

My problem on all tablets is the glare.... can't see a thing in the screen in daylight
2017-4-26
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

I have the same glare problems with my phone and that's even smaller. I think you can cut down some of the glare just by playing with the display settings on the tablet...or get a sunshade.
2017-4-26
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-25 13:44
I bought one of those lightning to camera sd card reader cables, but found my Air2 can't render 4K video.

RHP have a look at LumaFusion you can output your files in 4k but can't play them on your iPad
2017-4-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Knobbynomates Posted at 2017-4-26 05:36
RHP have a look at LumaFusion you can output your files in 4k but can't play them on your iPad

I do the kiss method. Micro SD Card adapter into desktop card reader and download them all to my 2Terrabyte hard drive. I don't have a 4K monitor yet, but the videos and pics looks amazing, what ever resolution they are being rendered at.

4K videos are huge files, even when only 9mins long. & I'm Not wanting to bog down my 64gb iPad Air 2.
Which is my dedicated device purchased strictly for my Phantom 3 Pro.

RedHotPoker
2017-4-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Michgolden Posted at 2017-4-25 15:25
RHP, No problem at all. The first time I put the IPad in ther it wanted to slowly tilt back so I adjusted it and tightened it up. All good until I went to put it away and didn't want to stress the "homeade" threads in that plastic. The little looped screwdriver that the mount comes with works good.

Yes, once that screw has been tightened down firmly, it's actually a bit surprising, how tight it holds the device holder in it's correct position. Depending how and where you are flying in relation to the Drone to RC, sometimes the RC must be tilted to accommodate proper connectivity. Having that included screwdriver can be very useful, when needed to change to device position. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ice Viper Posted at 2017-4-26 03:16
Really glad to hear from those using the bigger iPads as I'm pretty set on getting the Air 2. I'll have to order the holder for my RC as I can't seem to find a store that carries one, so that will be a weeks wait, but oh well.

Yes, that's one drawback of the Standard RC device holder, you must retrofit something that can comfortably hold your larger tablet. But it's well worth the extra effort, as the iPad Air2 is a real work horse and pays for itself slowly over time. You will be very happy with yours. It truly makes drone piloting a wonderful experience. ;-)

Congrats on a fine choice of worthy device.

RedHotPoker
2017-4-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-4-26 03:26
Interesting. Have the larger iPads and found them to bulky. I don't have any problem with viewing on the Mini 4. Actually I find it just right for me. I don't like searching the larger screen for the functions. It has never overheated on me. All individual preference.

I had to laugh when you mentioned searching. You make it sound like it's a giant display monitor.
The iPad Air 2 is only a couple of short inches, give or take, bigger than an iPad Mini. ;-)

Some of us are in our later years too, and they say eyesight is one of the first of 5 senses to diminish. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-4-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Knobbynomates Posted at 2017-4-26 05:36

I have no need for that. I already have the SD card reader cable from Apple.  If I record video in 4K the iPad Air2 won't play them. Otherwise it works great. I got in the habit of downloading all of my 4K videos to the desktop computer.

RedHotPoker

2017-4-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-4-25 10:59

I love using my iPad Air2 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Well maybe the cancelled Apple iPad Air3 128gb Cellular that was never released. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-4-26
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-26 15:47
I had to laugh when you mentioned searching. You make it sound like it's a giant display monitor.
The iPad Air 2 is only a couple of short inches, give or take, bigger than an iPad Mini. ;-)

I am up there with you my friend.
2017-4-27
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also keep in mind that the video output resolution is roughly equal to that of a cell phone, so using a tablet on the Standard will give you a larger display, but it will lose resolution.  It won't be quite as clear.
2017-4-27
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I have used various Android phones/tablets (not my recommendation), an iPad Mini, iPad Air 2 and am now using an iPad Pro 9.7". I would even try the iPad Pro 12.9" for times when I have a good work area. I love the extra screen size. My buddy used his iPad Pro 12.9" for operating the camera on my Inspire 2 last time we were out. He just sat in the car with the tablet on his lap, resting on the dash. Worked great for that particular situation. Anyway, the 9.7" form factor tablets are not too big for me. You might want to get an RC harness if the extra weight bothers you.

For transferring files, I always remove the SD card and plug it into a computer via a USB 3 adapter. I take a good deal of video (all 4K) and don't like the extra transfer time of the USB 2 interface on the drones. The Go app has an option to download the original but I have never tried that. I assume that you would have to transfer it via the USB 2 connection.
2017-4-27
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

The extra weight won't be a problem for me as I have a small table that attaches to my wheelchair that I set my RC on. Much more concerned with the vision aspect and I think the Air 2 will solve that. Now if we could just get some decent flying weather here. Rain, wind, rain, cold, and did I mention rain? Sheesh!
2017-4-27
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
United States

"Weather"
I hear yah there. We went from Spring back into Winter. 32 degrees and now we are looking at snow Sunday night, thumbs down!
2017-4-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ice Viper Posted at 2017-4-27 05:39
The extra weight won't be a problem for me as I have a small table that attaches to my wheelchair that I set my RC on. Much more concerned with the vision aspect and I think the Air 2 will solve that. Now if we could just get some decent flying weather here. Rain, wind, rain, cold, and did I mention rain? Sheesh!

If you're real anxious to fly, You can always "play" with the onboard flight SIM, on rainy days or other inclement weather. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-4-27 04:04
I am up there with you my friend.

Yes, there are several of us that are fast approaching our senior years. ;-)
Coincidently, those are the very best years too, so it's actually quite marvelous. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-4-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ice Viper Posted at 2017-4-27 05:39

That's pretty conveniant to have your table used as an RC tray.  ;-)
So device weight will never be a factor in your piloting experiences or enjoyment.

Hopefully, your weatherman will give you some good news soon...

RedHotPoker
2017-4-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Michgolden Posted at 2017-4-27 12:58
"Weather"
I hear yah there. We went from Spring back into Winter. 32 degrees and now we are looking at snow Sunday night, thumbs down!

Our temperatures have been pretty cool, and the fields are wet, so we have been experiencing the same inconvenient times...
Let's all wish for Mother Nature to let the sun shine...

RedHotPoker
2017-4-27
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

Partly sunny and 55 with light winds later today. Sure beats the snow we had yesterday. Sounds like a flying forecast to me!
2017-4-28
Use props
BugsMc
lvl.2
United States

I use the iPad Pro 12.9" for most of my casual flights.  I took an old pair of tripod/survey legs and then mounted a hard shell briefcase to the top of them.  The open case works great as a sun shade and the larger screen is awesome for framing up the perfect photo.  I can quickly adjust the height of my screen for the local terrain and with the turn of the screw mount, everything folds down quickly and is easy to transport.  I use the RC to operate the bird, so I've never been "lost" on the iPad screen.
2017-4-28
Use props
fans53130b7f
New
Flight distance : 161 ft
United States

RedHot,

Is the Ipad you have the new 2017 9.7" iPad at $329??? I just can't stomach my iPhone 6 + anymore and was about to do a Mini4 when the new iPad caught my attention because of the price.

Some questions-

Will it fit a stock RC mount? If no what do I need to get?
Any pros or cons on the overall ergo?
I think you mention something about the iOS version or limitation?
You also mention playback? Can i go into the gallery and play back clips? I strictly shoot 4k.

Thanks in advance!
2017-5-9
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
United States

I use an IPad Pro 9.7 and it definitely won't fit the stock clamp. I bit the bullet and mounted the Inspire phone/tablet mount onto my RC, absolutely love it compared to my 6 plus. You can tilt it up and down without hitting the antenna and it also allows enough room to run the sticks easily.
2017-5-9
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

You can download the photos and videos via Go app via play function if the bird has landed directly from the copter via WIFI. Open play then you can tab the photo or video of your wish and you will see a popup. Choose download and the feed will be stored on your Ipads storage in the folder DJI.
2017-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules