Force take-off when magnetic problems?
5752 23 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
louloox7
New
France

Hi everyone!

I got my DJI Phantom 3 Standard last week, and I'm already enjoyingit a lot!

But today, I had a (stupid?) problem.... I proudly landed on the top of my cheimney (on the rooftop, 50cm x 50cm), and shut down the engines....
Just after that, I noticed the famous "Compass error - magnetic bla bla bla". So guess what, I couldn't takie-off anymore.... stuck at 7 meters high.. great :/
I tried turning off the remote and the app (+ wifi), but of course, the problem really came from the compass (there is some metal on the top of my cheimney, inside the concrete).
So after 15 minutes of trying everything I could (I started by swithching to ATTI mode - no GPS), I finally picked a ladder to take it back.

So my question is: Is there any way to force a take-off, all sensors off for instance - all engines on max power for a few seconds for instance... i dunno :/

Thanks a lot !

Cheers
2017-4-25
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

The copter can't fly without a good compass, so grab a ladder and start climbing.
2017-4-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You probably already know the answer. Why force the issue and take the chance of crashing?

RedHotPoker
2017-4-25
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-25 12:19
You probably already know the answer. Why force the issue and take the chance of crashing?

They do that because than want to destroy their drones then blame DJI for the error of their ways.

Just like that poster complaining their drone flew away after they lost signal when they walked behind their house and the drone landed itself on top of the caravan. Wanted a free replacement. lol
2017-4-25
Use props
louloox7
New
France

Ok guys, well I understand safety purposes here, but I can imagine cases where I couldn't access and get my drone back :/
I would imagine that pushing all 4 engines at a certain power for a few seconds would be enough to have the drone away from any magnectic issues, and just fly back manually to a safety place.

What's the idea to prevent this problem ? Not shutting down the engines when inaccessible?
Actually, it wasn't necessary to shut down the engines for me.... I've just done that automatically (when I touch the ground, I usually leave the left stick down).

That's my first drone, and on my previous helicopter aircrafts, I had no sensors like that (and i would always take off thus).

2017-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I had a good laugh, louloox! Thumbs up!
Now what you need is a buddy with a phantom, he can come to rescue.

Look at this one. I can't believe they pulled this off with help from security and police!

2017-4-25
Use props
louloox7
New
France

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-25 13:05
I had a good laugh, louloox! Thumbs up!
Now what you need is a buddy with a phantom, he can come to rescue.

Ahahahahahah, amazing
It wasn't that epic in my case XD

But I'm super impressed that a Phantom 3 can lift another Phantom 3 oO

Any idea how much can carry a P3S ?
2017-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

He actually used a P4P for this resue.
I would have never thought that a Phantom can lift its own weight. Amazing...
2017-4-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you want to see the lifting strength of your drone, do a simple search on YouTube.

There are many heroic weightlifting adventures that "pilots" have recorded.

I have fought the strong north wind with mine, and was quite surprised, how well it did.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"So my question is: Is there any way to force a take-off, all sensors off for instance - all engines on max power for a few seconds for instance..."

No and you don't want to try it.
There are more than enough cases of crashed Phantoms that were launched from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces, due to their compass being screwed up.
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It depends on the proximity of the interference. I've seen customers arm the motors when the interference is farther away and they've waited for it to potentially switch to ATTI mode long enough to arm it, but it won't do it when it's right on top. of the interference. All in all, it's not recommended and you're better off getting a ladder to save yourself from the potential crash damage.
2017-4-25
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

There are several red metal bridges where I live.  I will not fly closer than 50m.  I have seen my app get interference warning if I get close and you will lose control of your drone if you have compass issues. I don't even attempt to try to launch in places with compass warnings that's just nuts, unless of course you plan on a crashed drone.

2017-4-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

louloox7 Posted at 2017-4-25 12:45
Ok guys, well I understand safety purposes here, but I can imagine cases where I couldn't access and get my drone back :/
I would imagine that pushing all 4 engines at a certain power for a few seconds would be enough to have the drone away from any magnectic issues, and just fly back manually to a safety place.

Listen to the safety messages RHP and Black Crusader put out. I totally agree.
2017-4-26
Use props
louloox7
New
France

Ok ok, ladder it was
I guess it's too tricky, electronically speaking, to flight with 4 engines and no compass. With only 1 main rotor, you can just take off vertically with some power, not with 4.
Ok guys, thanks, at least, no need to dig Google to look for some tricks about that!

I've just tried to lift 600gr with my P3S, and it worked ! (the drone itself is 1.2Kg). I think that's impressive =)

Cheers!
2017-4-26
Use props
louloox7
New
France

Btw, this community looks super active, that's great !
2017-4-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The rescue video .... at 5:32 ... there appears to be another Phantom of to the left of frame ....

Nigel
2017-4-26
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

how stupid is it to land on top of somthing wtth metal in?? when they describe it in the manual that the compass can go crazy if its near any metal-think you need to go to an open space and recalibrate it before flying again lol lol
2017-4-26
Use props
louloox7
New
France

Ok, so far I was ok at reading at your "sutpid... lol" sh*t, but seriously guys, why are you all talking like that?
What's wrong with you people ! This is crazy how close-minded you can be...
So. I am very sorry to the DJI forum world, where it seems trying specific piloting sutffs is a crime.... Oh ? You knew there was metal on the top of my chimney... well I didn't, next time I'll ask a house construction forum...

But thanks to other people actually helping =)

But this subject is now closed (I guess.... ? )

2017-5-1
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

louloox7 Posted at 2017-5-1 07:25
Ok, so far I was ok at reading at your "sutpid... lol" sh*t, but seriously guys, why are you all talking like that?
So. I am very sorry to the DJI forum world, where it seems trying specific piloting sutffs is a crime.... Oh ? You knew there was metal on the top of my chimney... well I didn't, next time I'll ask a house construction forum...

Don't let this take you down!
I'm sure not only me enjoyed your thread.
I learned from it to never shut down the motors if I don't have direct access to a landed drone.
I know about metal/magnetic issues but I might have tried the chimney myself  

2017-5-1
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

louloox7 Posted at 2017-5-1 07:25

dont sweat the negative stuff Lou, for every negative member there are at least 100 that are willing to help !......but do expect a poke in the ribs now and then. ;)
2017-5-1
Use props
louloox7
New
France

Yep it makes sense to me too the funny of this situation But reading words like "how stupid" is surprising :/
Anyway, sure we learn from mistakes ;)

Btw, landing on the chimney is still a funny and challenging experience :p

Cheers!
2017-5-1
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

louloox7 Posted at 2017-5-1 11:27
Yep it makes sense to me too the funny of this situation  But reading words like "how stupid" is surprising :/
Anyway, sure we learn from mistakes ;)

Really ? You didn't know there was metal on top ? Wow.  Got yah! Just kidding around with you ;) It can be a lot of fun trying to land in precarious positions (hopefully not expensive though). Look at it this way, your experience will most likely save someone their AC in the future because they'll remember to not stop the motors when they land somewhere a ladder won't reach. Just saying.
2017-5-1
Use props
marvzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23835 ft
United States

What's with all the talk of crashing. Every pilot should be able to fly their aircraft without compass or GPS assistance. He just needed it get it off a chimney and bring it down. I haven't tried arming the drone in Atti mode, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able too.
2017-5-2
Use props
fansa9c7e8c8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 152612 ft
United States

I learned this as well by landing on top of my vehicle.
2017-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules