Another Mavic lost RC connection and crashed.
1782 32 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I'm sad to report my Mavic went rogue last weekend after it abruptly lost connection to RC and smashed into a building. Once I figure out how to upload my logs and videos i'll post them here.
In the meantime, i'll be spending 499.00 to repair it in NYC at http://www.stcnyc.com/

2017-4-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

I understand how you are feeling right now. Btw, why so many Mavics suddenly lost connection? We need an official statement from DJI about this issue stat.
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Do you know what caused it?
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm sad to report my Mavic went rogue last weekend after it abruptly lost connection to RC and smashed into a building.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Once I figure out how to upload my logs and videos i'll post them here.

Please do; you might save someone else the same fate -- and yourself some money and grief.

In the meantime, i'll be spending 499.00 to repair it in NYC

If the crash was caused by a product defect then you won't need to spend any money at all to get a replacement, so you may want to hold off on that unless you have an urgent need for a repair for some reason. But for that money you could almost buy a second brand new aircraft.
2017-4-26
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
United States

Here's a link to crash video from the onboard SD.

https://goo.gl/photos/nRjVmnzxawn97ec67
2017-4-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Hi jamesw, do you manage to get the flight data? In my opinion Airdata gives the best info.
2017-4-26
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-4-26 11:56
Hi jamesw, do you manage to get the flight data? In my opinion Airdata gives the best info.

I'll upload the flight data after work tonight.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-26 13:29
I'll upload the flight data after work tonight.

Please upload then.dat file downloaded from the Mavic using dji assist. The other logs are almost useless for this type of analysis.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-26 11:13

Looks like a link to a photograph , you can go here to up load your flight log. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ and follow instructions and then come back here and post link.

I would also advise you to sync your flight to the dji cloud.
2017-4-26
Use props
EventDrone
New
Flight distance : 333894 ft
New Zealand

Things to take into consideration

- RF exposure from cell tower uplink/backhaul units.
- They are usually hidden at stadiums and it would be strange to not have a cell tower there considering USA's cell tower density.
- Backhaul's 50% of the time are microwave which will nail your compass - causing a fly away.

- There is also other numerous wireless/RF networks that are run at stadiums/large venues.
- Which can effect your drone heavily, it may not disconnect RF wise but will effect your compass.

Would love to see flight log
2017-4-26
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Austria

Link to onboard SD Video: https://goo.gl/photos/nRjVmnzxawn97ec67 (click play button)
Airdata Log: http://app.airdata.com/main?share=hhSsZc

Here you go, guys. I'm really interested in hearing what happened.

For the record, I'm not blaming DJI for this and I take full responsibility if there was, in fact, pilot error. I just want to understand what happened so it can be avoided in the future.

One piece of info that may not be shown in the log. After colliding into the building (which I thought would have been sensed and avoided) the drone scaled up the side of the building and smashed into the underside of a balcony. I think after that it spiraled down and crashed. The battery was dislodged from the drone when it hit the ground.

I wouldn't have found it if I didn't have a Tile Mate stuck to the top of it!

Thanks in advance everyone!

2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Can you also please upload the flight log here and provide a link? Also, most importantly can you provide a copy of the DAT file from the flight?
2017-4-27
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

You didn't bring it in when you started getting multiple data problems?  
2017-4-27
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-27 06:19
Link to onboard SD Video: https://goo.gl/photos/nRjVmnzxawn97ec67 (click play button)

Looking at those logs although you must take them with a pinch of salt, and information is not always correct.
But this is all we have to go on, first your environment it was very built up area, at 2500 ft you were already getting signal warnings and you continued to carry on before you lost signal, the log shows that the signal to remote and aircraft were interrupted several times, this could be caused by lack of signal or too much interference, eventually you ran out of luck, but s**t happens and it obviously did here.
Going by what you have said , I would surmise that when you finally lost signal your AC tried to return home and OA did in fact work, as you say it stopped in front of the building then climbed which is correct procedure, but if there was over hanging balcony then Mavic can't see this and behaved properly by crashing into it. That's all I can see from your log.

However dji may be able to see more in your dat file and you should get it checked, because again we can only give our opinion which may be on the right track, but won't tell the full story.

Advice be careful flying in that area again, you signal was being interfered with almost constantly, a lot of stuff down there using the same frequency.

Hope you back in the air soon and thanks for letting us know how you think your flight ended up, let's us know outcome from dji if you take it up with them..
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey jamesw first off, it's very refreshing to hear someone coming on here and not blaming dji straight off the bat for there crash.

I honestly don't think this one doesn't need analysis by paralysis , and although airdata is not the best at pointing out what might have gone wrong, I'm afraid this one doesn't look like lt will go in your favour.

You had signal warning at over 2000 feet , and while continuing on you received many more signal warnings before you eventually lost signal and it looks like from what you said RTH may have initiated and an attempt to return home was met face to face with a building from where Mavic tried to climb free only to crash into an overhang, we don't see this on the log I presume because of lost signal, but it's very probable this is what happened.

Built up areas using 2.4ghz by the bucket load most likely caused your signal interference and ultimate loss of signal, I can't see exactly where you were standing but at a guess I would think there were power lines between you and your Aircraft, this I suppose is a learning experience for all of us and it's this kind of crash where we should learn the most.
Thanks for been big enough to post your story, and I hope your back in the air soon.
2017-4-27
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Austria

Here's a link  to the Phantomhelp log.

Here's the Dropbox folder  w/ txt file, DAT file, and transmission videos which show the signal drops.

2017-4-27
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-27 07:58
Hey jamesw first off, it's very refreshing to hear someone coming on here and not blaming dji straight off the bat for there crash.

I honestly don't think this one doesn't need analysis by paralysis , and although airdata is not the best at pointing out what might have gone wrong, I'm afraid this one doesn't look like lt will go in your favour.

Thanks for the kind words and all the analysis so far. I'm just trying to learn and share my experiences with the forum!
I've learned a lot from everyone here so it's the least I can do.
2017-4-27
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Austria

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-27 06:44
You didn't bring it in when you started getting multiple data problems?

To be honest, there were alot of warning sounds and alerts. It was hard to understand how important they are and which ones to take lightly and which ones require immediate action.  

Also,  the alerts came quickly (and LOUDLY) that I didn't have enough time to react. Maybe with more experience and a zen mindset I could have navigated my way out of trouble.
2017-4-27
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-26 11:13

Looks like it did a RTH, then while on route saw a wall and decided to climb and hit a light (or some sort of structure above it). Man, sorry to hear about it ....
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-27 08:43
To be honest, there were alot of warning sounds and alerts. It was hard to understand how important they are and which ones to take lightly and which ones require immediate action.  

Also,  the alerts came quickly (and LOUDLY) that I didn't have enough time to react. Maybe with more experience and a zen mindset  I could have navigated my way out of trouble.

It doesn't appear to have been returning to home; the home point was to the WSW but it was heading SSE when it crashed into that building.
2017-4-27
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Austria

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-4-27 08:45
Looks like it did a RTH, then while on route saw a wall and decided to climb and hit a light (or some sort of structure above it). Man, sorry to hear about it ....

Thanks for your input. I'm curious, where in the logs can I that it tried to RTH?
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-27 08:56
Thanks for your input. I'm curious, where in the logs can I that it tried to RTH?

It's not in the logs and was heading in the wrong direction to have been performing RTH.
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-27 08:33
Here's a link  to the Phantomhelp log.

Here's the Dropbox folder  w/ txt file, DAT file, and transmission videos which show the signal drops.

Unfortunately that's not a DAT file in your DropBox. Can you review the instructions on the link I provided and try again? Thanks.
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-27 08:57
It's not in the logs and was heading in the wrong direction to be have been performing RTH.

On the PH log it shows op flying the AC right to the end of recorded log , I presuming signal was lost after this and RTH may well have kicked in , it does show him flying over the building at the end of log, but altitude was only 27feet so not sure what height building was, but it was definitely the op flying at the end of that log.
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-27 09:09
On the PH log it shows op flying the AC right to the end of recorded log , I presuming signal was lost after this and RTH may well have kicked in , it does show him flying over the building at the end of log, but altitude was only 27feet so not sure what height building was, but it was definitely the op flying at the end of that log.

it was definitely the op flying at the end of that log

It did look that way, didn't it? I'd certainly be willing to believe that it might have initiated RTH after crashing into the building except that there was no delay between the initial jolt and the ascent, which I interpreted as the pilot suddenly realizing that he had been flying too low and belatedly trying to correct for it. Oh, well, we'll figure it out eventually. And it looks like BudWalker is online again, so the OP may even get his DAT file analyzed by the man himself.
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-27 09:16
it was definitely the op flying at the end of that log

It did look that way, didn't it? I'd certainly be willing to believe that it might have initiated RTH after crashing into the building except that there was no delay between the initial jolt and the ascent, which I interpreted as the pilot suddenly realizing that he had been flying too low and belatedly trying to correct for it. Oh, well, we'll figure it out eventually. And it looks like BudWalker is online again, so the OP may even get his DAT file analyzed by the man himself.

It will be interesting to see what might have happened at the end, although many warnings and some loss of signal op never lost signal for more than 2 seconds, if he had have lost signal for just 3 seconds earlier in flight his aircraft would have had plenty of height to return safely, just one more second.
2017-4-27
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-27 08:56

I suggest signing up for an healthydrones account, getting the app and syncing your logs from your phone - it will be a lot easier then a bunch of internet drone nerds speculating what happened.

http://healthydrones.com/main?flight=last
2017-4-27
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-27 06:43
Looking at those logs although you must take them with a pinch of salt, and information is not always correct.
But this is all we have to go on, first your environment it was very built up area, at 2500 ft you were already getting signal warnings and you continued to carry on before you lost signal, the log shows that the signal to remote and aircraft were interrupted several times, this could be caused by lack of signal or too much interference, eventually you ran out of luck, but s**t happens and it obviously did here.
Going by what you have said , I would surmise that when you finally lost signal your AC tried to return home and OA did in fact work, as you say it stopped in front of the building then climbed which is correct procedure, but if there was over hanging balcony then Mavic can't see this and behaved properly by crashing into it. That's all I can see from your log.

"Going by what you have said , I would surmise that when you finally lost signal your AC tried to return home and OA did in fact work, as you say it stopped in front of the building then climbed which is correct procedure, but if there was over hanging balcony then Mavic can't see this and behaved properly by crashing into it. That's all I can see from your log."

I was thinking that, too, but the way the Mavic seemed to immediately change from forward flight to vertical flight doesn't seem normal for OA during RTH. I think it usually stops abruptly first, and then after a pause it starts to ascend. It all seemed to happen too suddenly in this case. Although I admit I've never witnessed my Mavic doing OA during RTH.
2017-4-27
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

One suggestion for the future. If you get repeated signal loss, increase your altitude - less ground-level RF interference and a better RF path between drone and RC.  Also at 3000 ft distance from home, flying at 24 feet, all sorts of obstructions can cause loss of signal.

"nerd" advice is free  - and worth far more than it costs.  If you frequent this forum, you'll soon learn those who can offer sound advice and analysis.
2017-4-27
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Austria

Do i need access to the drone to get the DAT file?  

HealthyDrones is now Airdata right?
Here is a link to Airdata http://app.airdata.com/main?share=XWrXLv

2017-4-27
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-27 10:29

Yes. See DroneFlying's comment above (#12?) for instructions on using DJI assistant to upload the files from the Mavic.
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-27 10:29

Yes, it's on the Mavic itself.
2017-4-27
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Austria

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-27 06:26
Can you also please upload the flight log here and provide a link? Also, most importantly can you provide a copy of the DAT file from the flight?

My Mavic is being repaired right now.

I've uploaded another DAT file from my iphone  Here's the link to the Dropbox folder with the new DAT file. Hope it's the right one!

It's a little puzzling that all this data isn't in one place.
I've synced my IOS DJ GO 4 flight records with DJI Cloud, HD Sync, and AirData.
2017-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules