h.265 or h.264 p4p
1684 9 2017-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trekz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3245 ft
United States

Which one do you believe is better for d-cinelike shooting?
2017-4-27
Use props
Monyx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152677 ft
Australia

I wouldn't have thought colour rendering would be any different between the codecs - so no different - but at a given bitrate h.265 will retain more detail than h.264 - so although I haven't done exhaustive testing I will always choose h.265 as 100mbs is a limiting factor when recording 4k.
2017-4-27
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Monyx Posted at 2017-4-27 03:13
I wouldn't have thought colour rendering would be any different between the codecs - so no different - but at a given bitrate h.265 will retain more detail than h.264 - so although I haven't done exhaustive testing I will always choose h.265 as 100mbs is a limiting factor when recording 4k.

that's what I thought, but a person from another forum said that h/264 was better.
Reference: http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... 13448/#post-1167752
2017-4-27
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I've had great results with H.265 and since the bit rate is the same (100 Mb/s on P4 series) the file sizes are the same but with twice the info in the H.265. Of course, if all you're going to do is put it on YouTube, that extra quality may not be as noticeable. I like to play my videos on a 65" 4K TV so I want all the quality that I can get.

One other thing to note is that H.265 is not as editor friendly as H.264. The files has to be transcoded to something else for FCPX or iMovie. Even in Vegas Pro 14, that natively supports H.265 source, you almost have to use proxy files, especially if you are going to do animated text or complex transitions. I don't mind a little extra work for a higher quality result but some people just want to do a quick edit on their iPad (trims, add music, etc.) and get it uploaded to YouTube with minimal intervention. For those people, H.264 would be a better choice.
2017-4-27
Use props
V_Rybas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212746 ft
Ukraine

Hello! I've been experimenting with these codecs for a long time.
The conclusion is one.
If you need a "Cinema"  effect, it's H265.
For all other cases - H264.
2017-4-27
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-4-27 04:28
I've had great results with H.265 and since the bit rate is the same (100 Mb/s on P4 series) the file sizes are the same but with twice the info in the H.265. Of course, if all you're going to do is put it on YouTube, that extra quality may not be as noticeable. I like to play my videos on a 65" 4K TV so I want all the quality that I can get.

One other thing to note is that H.265 is not as editor friendly as H.264. The files has to be transcoded to something else for FCPX or iMovie. Even in Vegas Pro 14, that natively supports H.265 source, you almost have to use proxy files, especially if you are going to do animated text or complex transitions. I don't mind a little extra work for a higher quality result but some people just want to do a quick edit on their iPad (trims, add music, etc.) and get it uploaded to YouTube with minimal intervention. For those people, H.264 would be a better choice.

I also use vegas pro 14. Shoot your h265 in .mov for smoother editing. I usually lay down the 4k footage on the timeline and just sample render a small highlighted portion to see if it's what I need it to be. That usually helps editing in 4k
2017-4-27
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

V_Rybas Posted at 2017-4-27 06:51
Hello! I've been experimenting with these codecs for a long time.
The conclusion is one.
If you need a "Cinema"  effect, it's H265.

What do you mean by Cinema effect?
2017-4-27
Use props
visionrouge.net
Second Officer
United States

To makes things simple:

As bit rate is constant due to card write speed limitation, a more efficient codec is preferred.
The speed is the same overall, but it describe better the image in H265 than H264 (top speed is 100mbs)

Of course, for very contrasted scene,s without too much movement; the difference will not been seen. But with very detailed, moving with lot of color range footage, the H265 should see a better picture overall.

The downside is the way the processor will handle the footage in your editing software. As H265 is new, some software can't play it at all. And as it's more efficient, it need more power to get decompressed and seen, so it may be choppy when editing.
If you convert to H264 a H265 footage at one point, you WILL actually loose the advantage of this H265.
You could try to convert with a better codec, but not as a lower one. (PRores 4.2.2 for example)

I would recommend to edit and color grade the original footage and convert only at the very last step of producing your movie, of course. So all steps are using the original data, not a conversion of a conversion.

A trick could be to do a first timeline with a proxy compressed file and do you movie with this proxy with it (the proxy being a fast preview editable version of the original image)
And when editing is done,  go to your first time line, hide the proxy file and change it with the H265 original file.
Go to have diner and enjoy an export the next morning after a full night of calculation...

2018-3-16
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

I'm only using .H264 because Adobe Premiere Pro CC wont import .H265.
2018-3-16
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I play my videos on a 125" 4K TV so I want all the quality I can get. h.265 all the way.
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules