Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9379e310
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7014 ft
United Kingdom

Morning all
So my Mavic arrived yesterday - Woop!
I'll start with saying that I am a professional UAV pilot (UK CAA PfCO holder) and photographer.
This is my first DJI "out of the box" eperience as i normally fly large custom rigs with proper cameras on them, this is
for travel use and quick deployment.

I took some quick photos and video before i put it away and went to the pub last night, and just decided to have a look.
I havent looked at the video yet, but this photo is horrible, looke like some sotr of painting filter has been applied?!??!

This is a 100% crop of the image center, not scaled, direct from the onboard memory card.

eeew.

eeew.
2017-4-29
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Not really sure what your problem is. The photo looks fine to me.
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-30 01:00
Not really sure what your problem is. The photo looks fine to me.

What?!? its bloody awful!! are you viewing this on a phone?
2017-4-30
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 01:00
What?!? its bloody awful!! are you viewing this on a phone?

Well perhaps I should spend some time at the pub and then it will start to look awful!
2017-4-30
Use props
fansbf028272
lvl.2
Flight distance : 569836 ft
United Kingdom

How many times do you ever crop a picture to 100% for use?
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-30 01:12
Well perhaps I should spend some time at the pub and then it will start to look awful!

What on earth are you on about? I came here for advice, not to be insulted by blind trolls.
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fansbf028272 Posted at 2017-4-30 01:11
How many times do you ever crop a picture to 100% for use?

Do you even know what that means?

There is a lack of detail, it looks smeary.
2017-4-30
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

I have to agree with you, it almost look like a painting.
In the beginning i had the same experience.
Eventually for me it came down to testing out the different settings and so far i have no problems.
Correction, yesterday i forgot to "tap to focus" and what could have been a great shot, came out totally blurry.

2017-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi universal drone, certainly there are problems with your photograph , but you haven't specified what settings you used, was it auto? As a photographer you will know getting really good photographs depends hugely on yourself, so you might get more help if you let everyone know what settings you used.
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-30 01:34
Eventually for me it came down to testing out the different settings and so far i have no problems.

Thanks for your reply - I'm glad you can see what I mean!!

What settings are you currently using? if you don't mind me asking?
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-30 01:43
Hi universal drone, certainly there are problems with your photograph , but you haven't specified what settings you used, was it auto? As a photographer you will know getting really good photographs depends hugely on yourself, so you might get more help if you let everyone know what settings you used.

I really didn't do any sort of setup at all - as I've only flown it this one time so far, this was just shot as "out of the box"
2017-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 01:43
I really didn't do any sort of setup at all - as I've only flown it this one time so far, this was just shot as "out of the box"

Well first I see it's very low quality download, though this is not the whole problem, I would suggest you take a look at some you tube videos, for different settings for different lighting, and just mess around with same settings you might have used on a hand held,

I can promise you with the right settings and light and a bit of post work , you can get some very beautiful landscape photography.
2017-4-30
Use props
Dorsap
lvl.2
Israel

Put sharpning on 1+
then denoise in post,
Noise reduction in this small camera is no good, its lacking lot of detail (even if sharpning is on 0 )
2017-4-30
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

And also you are indicating this is a crop of the photo - how much of a crop?  How small is this section compared to the original?  Just curious to get an idea of what we are looking at.
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

This is the original.

As i said the crop was a 100% scale crop, IE no scaling etc.

It was taken as a .jpg, i have to assume the jpg processing in the mavic is crap.

I'll have a go with RAW later, its too windy to fly right now (and the F1 is about to start)

2017-4-30
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 03:57
This is the original.

From my own experience:

- as suggested above - +1 sharpening limits Mavic noise reduction which is crap - if you're flying in very bright conditions you can get away with 0 but in lower light definitely +1 works much better,

- do remember to tap to focus (or assign it to C2 button - I use C2 and it's more user friendly in my opinion),

- jpg is total crap - always use raw (even though it's Adobe DNG which is questionable anyhow - but that's your only choice) - I have only raw for stills, jpg can be forgotten from the get-go.

Otherwise - follow the above and see the results (once the wind comes down). After doing a few stills take a look at the focus quality - if it's off then you'll need to send the drone back and hope that the replacement has a better optic quality. For some reason quite a few people had the glass elements of the optics badly put together and the images are blurry (not focused).

Best of luck. Cheers!

2017-4-30
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

This is the original.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with this picture as is, given the fact that it is JPG and that it came out of the TINY camera on the Mavic,

what were you expecting?   Canon 1DX quality?
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

13MStang Posted at 2017-4-30 05:00
there is absolutely nothing wrong with this picture as is, given the fact that it is JPG and that it came out of the TINY camera on the Mavic,

what were you expecting?   Canon 1DX quality?

You clearly have very low standards, its crap.
I expected something as good as or better than my £150 phone camera, and its worse, FAR worse.

However, this is in jpg mode, and appears extremely compressed and processed.
I'll be trying RAW this evening.

2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Oh and before the keyboard warriors have a go at me about the state of the block paving, that isnt my side of the yard!!!!!
2017-4-30
Use props
Evaunit01berser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 150427 ft
United States

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 05:35
Oh and before the keyboard warriors have a go at me about the state of the block paving, that isnt my side of the yard!!!!!

you greatly overestimate how much we care about grass
2017-4-30
Use props
Rick James Bish
lvl.1

United States

Obviously difference of opinion on standards of a good photo. The 100% crop is crap IMO but I think a lot of it has to do with the lighting of the scene.  Can you post the EXIF for the photo ?  Would be interesting to see shutter speed, ISO, etc. Based off the over exposed white sky I would assume the lower area was a little dark and I would not expect the camera on this $1000 unit to be able to resolve low light details like a DSLR, even low end DSLR.
2017-4-30
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Yep, that's the output quality you can expect (AND WILL GET).  Hilarious how oblivious people are when it comes to details.  The noise reduction is ridiculously strong, especially lower light (not bright & sunny) video.

Also, your trash cans aren't aligned.  

2017-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-4-30 07:00
Yep, that's the output quality you can expect (AND WILL GET).  Hilarious how oblivious people are when it comes to details.  The noise reduction is ridiculously strong, especially lower light (not bright & sunny) video.

Good one haha, He's from UK , wheelie bins. Lol
2017-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 05:35

Bit of Round up will clear that up in no time,lol
2017-4-30
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

This is the original.

Yes RAW gives you 20x more dynamic range & an infinite amount of detail & preservation of the image.  But the JPG output has always been horrible, which stinks for sure.  The Phantom 4 Pro, for example, doesn't do this.  The JPG's from that look fantastic.
2017-4-30
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 05:33
You clearly have very low standards, its crap.
I expected something as good as or better than my £150 phone camera, and its worse, FAR worse.

i do not have low standards.   what I am saying is that given he size of the image sensor on that device and its only 12 megapixel , that is about as good a quality photo you should expect to get out of that device with its current technology.

if that photo came out of a full frame DSLR, i would be really upset with the quality.
2017-4-30
Use props
fans1fee6218
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

i also get consistently poor video, it looks like that of a 640.  going to have to return this back to Mavic.    do not know if I can post the videos of them.  brought this in March.  Mt GoPro 5 has no issues.  I REALLY hate this tap to focus or the new firmware with the infinity and macro icons, they do not work.  The Craft itself flies well however.  Just the camera is no good

2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans1fee6218 Posted at 2017-4-30 12:54
i also get consistently poor video, it looks like that of a 640.  going to have to return this back to Mavic.    do not know if I can post the videos of them.  brought this in March.  Mt GoPro 5 has no issues.  I REALLY hate this tap to focus or the new firmware with the infinity and macro icons, they do not work.  The Craft itself flies well however.  Just the camera is no good

Sounds like you have a hardware issue there - you could link to youtube.
Certainly flies well yes, im yet to try the video in anger as it was windy and raining today.
There is some very impressive Mavic based video on the net so I think you either have hardware or setup issues.
2017-4-30
Use props
fans1fee6218
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-30 01:34

wide angle lens should nOT be tap to focus,, my GoPro 5 has the lens set to infinity.  These are not telephoto lens or Zoom lens, that could be why all of my videos are blurred though it says "tap lightly on the screen to focus", I do but it is still blurred.  I have to send it back and get a remote aircraft that does not have this tap to focus rubbish.  I do not have the time to be engaging in that when i am trying to compose a flying area.
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

13MStang Posted at 2017-4-30 12:28
i do not have low standards.   what I am saying is that given he size of the image sensor on that device and its only 12 megapixel , that is about as good a quality photo you should expect to get out of that device with its current technology.

if that photo came out of a full frame DSLR, i would be really upset with the quality.

No I have to disagree - that first shot was utter crap, and you know it.
it is NOT a limit of the technology as my Nexus 5X has a similar sensor and lens, giving a very nice image.
No its not as good as my Hasselblad, but it was never going to be.

I have now done a shot in RAW, which has come out extremely well, no compression artefacts, no smeary weirdness - it appears to be the jpeg compression algorithm at fault.
2017-4-30
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Another similarly sized 100% crop taken from a RAW.

The difference is night and day - its clearly crap jpeg compression at play.
DJI_0008a.jpg
2017-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 13:48

Good job, safe flying...
2017-4-30
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
United Kingdom

ND filter set as well is "must have" for this drone
2017-4-30
Use props
rsands
lvl.2
Australia

Yup the jpg quality is crap but your a pro pilot so know to shoot in raw...
2017-4-30
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

So you said you are a pro in UAV and photographer but you used Mavic like a P&S camera and jumped right to conclusion that its quality is terrible.
You should have known everything before coming here to "ask".
2017-4-30
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

As mentioned by others you can usually "fix" the bad looking jpgs by increasing the cameras sharpening setting. However, if you don't like that solution, shot raw!
I did a little testing yesterday, and the quality difference between jpg and dng/raw is huge. See last part of post here: http://forum.dji.com/thread-94609-1-1.html
2017-5-1
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

UD, now that all the hubbub has died down, I wanted to add my welcome to you and to the forum.  People here are usually pretty friendly.  your initial reception was weird.  Its uncommon of people to get slammed for asking valid questions.  Bad timing, I guess.  

Anyway, glad you made it in and happy flying.
2017-5-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The camera on the magic is basically a glorified cell phone camera so you really can't expect to much but it does look a little out of focus, did you tap the screen to focus before you took your picture?
2017-5-2
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Universal Drone,

I agree with you - the JPG you posted is far from satisfactory.

It was the watercolour effect I encountered with the JPGs since Day 1 when I received my Mavic Pro out of the box in Nov 2016. Since then, I shot RAW+JPG, and post-processed the RAWs when needed. I didn't border dialling in different in-camera settings, knowing that I would always have the RAWs when needed.

Considering the same sensor size and resolution of the Mavic Pro as those of the Inspire 1 (X3) (and also of the Phantom 3 Pro), DJI chose a different internal algorithm for in-camera processing of the Mavic Pro JPGs, which sharpens too much the image and suppresses too much image noise.

Henry.
2017-5-2
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Dorsap Posted at 2017-4-30 02:50
Put sharpning on 1+
then denoise in post,
Noise reduction in this small camera is no good, its lacking lot of detail (even if sharpning is on 0 )

if you read it he says it's 100% crop of center.  So its pixel = pixel crop of the center eg. the center 1188 × 735 pixels
2017-5-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules