Slowly turning in flight and has had a gimble twitch
449 2 2017-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhantomEvan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 919 ft
United States

My p4p flies great. But it's had glitches where when I take it up high, the camera slowly turns right. It's always right. Never the other way. After about 7 or so seconds, it stops turning. Is this normal? I also flew in 15 mph winds in sport mode and cut a sharp turn into the wind and the gimble twitched. The gimble also twitched today, and it was just hovering in 15 mph winds. Should I return it? Help would be appreciated, thanks.
https://youtu.be/sZ256OQx_S0
https://youtu.be/Nn1uWw9jxVQ
2017-5-1
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Do a remote calibration (you have to have the Phantom turned off) This may help keep it from turning slowly.. Playback your flight records on DJI go and click on the little remote icon. This will tell you the percentage of input coming from your sticks.. You may see that your sticks are off just a tad. As for the gimbal twitch - it is normal for this to happen due to the extreme angles that the Phantom will fly when in that mode. The gimbal wasn't designed to handle angles that extreme consistently..

Here is a video of how to calibrate the controller:
2017-5-1
Use props
Flytcam_Shaun
lvl.2
United States

I am on aircraft number 2.  My first one did the twitching, even after all of the calibrations recommended on here like tipping it over on its side etc as well as the IMU.  That sort of fixed it except the gimbal could not keep horizon at all at any airspeed above 20 mph so thats 20 ground speed in calm wind or 5 miles into a 15 mile wind.

One of the things I noticed with my first one is the gimbal was way out of balance from the factory.  When the aircraft was off it would flop to the right and down. The gimbal should be perfectly balanced and stay whereever you move it.  This one didn't so I returned it and got a second one from the same place, which was Best Buy.  The second one i am on does not twitch and the gimbal is balanced well.  However, it still can not maintain horizon in sideways movements, it does roll in pans.  I also notice if I rock the aircraft side to side, the gimbal will roll back and forth when it should be fairly still.

I was gone for a week, so I did not have a chance to play with it more.  I am going to test it out again tomorrow and see if another round of re-calibrating works.  I am not very optimistic that will do anything.  I don't think its an IMU or calibration issue on the sensor.  Based off of my experience with other gimbal systems like Movi's and Alexmos.  I think this thing either has under engineered motors for the camera.  Or, this thing is under gained on its control system parameters.  It seems to be having what is known as an undershoot error, where it cannot react to the external forces very well.  

If it still leans tomorrow I will return it and go for Phantom number 3.  If that does not work I am just going to request my money back and wait until DJI solves this.   That will be a shame, because this is the first Phantom that I actually like.  I love the camera, for a prosumer system I actually feel it does better video than my baseline X5 on the I1 Pro.  I used to think Phantoms were a joke only to be used by novices, but I am impressed by the flight performance of it and think it is a viable machine.  I need a gimbal that works. even if what I am doing is using this for mapping and modeling.  I can accept a little drift here and there, as even Movis will drift time to time as these are not perfect.  But 5+ degrees in what is not excessive speeds is not acceptable.
2017-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules