Micro movements of gimbal while taking photos
1368 14 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71152 ft
Germany

Hello, I've noticed that my gimbal gets a little jerky when I'm taking photos with the mechanical shutter activated. Is this a normal behavior? As soon I turn the mechanical shutter of, the gimbal won't get jerky anymore. I have figured out that while taking a exposure series it's turned of anyway. So that makes me believe, is to reduce the shutter movements to the gimbal. Am I'm right or is this a Problem only my p4p got?
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I always used manual settings and never had an issue unless it is really windy. Did you try calibrating the Gimball?
2017-5-2
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 18:47
I always used manual settings and never had an issue unless it is really windy. Did you try calibrating the Gimball?

Well I can even reproduce the movement while having the bird sitting on my table without taking of. As soon I the mechanical shutter opens up the gimbal will jerk a little bit. The picture is sharp without any blurry shaking but the gimbal will be a little bit of the horizon and needs to adjust himself.
2017-5-2
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 18:47

Well I can even reproduce the movement while having the bird sitting on my table without taking of. As soon I the mechanical shutter opens up the gimbal will jerk a little bit. The picture is sharp without any blurry shaking but the gimbal will be a little bit of the horizon and needs to adjust himself.
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Seniorcoca Posted at 2017-5-2 18:51

Weird, try Auto calibrating the Gimball and see if there is any difference. Otherwise see if by tomorrow might have had this issue and solve it. Good luck!
2017-5-2
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 19:04
Weird, try Auto calibrating the Gimball and see if there is any difference. Otherwise see if by tomorrow might have had this issue and solve it. Good luck!

I already calibrate the gimbal quite a few times but it looks like the mechanical shutter opens up so strong that the gimbal gets jerky. I'm almost sure I'm not alone with this. Would be cool if somebody try it by his own. Just put your p4p on a table, activate the mechanical shutter and watch the screen or the gimbal while releasing the shutter. For me it's not an big issue as long there are more people with it. But if it's only me  I would start to preoccupy about my bird.
2017-5-2
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Seniorcoca Posted at 2017-5-2 20:22
I already calibrate the gimbal quite a few times but it looks like the mechanical shutter opens up so strong that the gimbal gets jerky. I'm almost sure I'm not alone with this. Would be cool if somebody try it by his own. Just put your p4p on a table, activate the mechanical shutter and watch the screen or the gimbal while releasing the shutter. For me it's not an big issue as long there are more people with it. But if it's only me  I would start to preoccupy about my bird.

Hi. No, it's not just you - this has been mentioned previously on the forum.
2017-5-2
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-2 20:36
Hi. No, it's not just you - this has been mentioned previously on the forum.

And what was the conclusion? Is it an issue or a regular behavior?
2017-5-2
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

The mechanical shutter on the P4P is basically a rushed marketing gimmick that doesn't work properly, just disable it.
2017-5-2
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

Helimage Posted at 2017-5-2 20:47
The mechanical shutter on the P4P is basically a rushed marketing gimmick that doesn't work properly, just disable it.

Ah ok. So it's a common thing?
2017-5-2
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Seniorcoca Posted at 2017-5-2 20:37
And what was the conclusion? Is it an issue or a regular behavior?

Sorry, but I captures frames from 4K videos rather than take photos, so I didn't make note.
I don't recall a conclusion other than to turn if off if you don't need it. Firmware V 01.03.0418 released fairly recently incorporated a 'lock gimbal function', but I'm unsure of it's relevance in this context.
2017-5-2
Use props
Seniorcoca
lvl.1
Germany

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-2 21:02
Sorry, but I captures frames from 4K videos rather than take photos, so I didn't make note.
I don't recall a conclusion other than to turn if off if you don't need it. Firmware V 01.03.0418 released fairly recently incorporated a 'lock gimbal function', but I'm unsure of it's relevance in this context.

For me is essential taking stills in raw and with almost 20mp. I already try to turn on the gimbal lock but this doesn't fix it either. But the most curious I'm about is if this happens to everyone or just a few. Would like to hear some feedback on this.
2017-5-2
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

Seniorcoca Posted at 2017-5-2 21:03
Ah ok. So it's a common thing?

Yeah. I haven't seen a single unit that didn't suffer from this issue. Gotta love the top notch quality control.
2017-5-3
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

In the camera Menu, disable the "Lock Gimbal During Capture" function. Should fix your issue.
2017-5-3
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

ROBERTO SMERA Posted at 2017-5-3 05:42
In the camera Menu, disable the "Lock Gimbal During Capture" function. Should fix your issue.

Yes, disable the lock gimbal as well as the mechanical shutter.. Both these cause unwanted movement between shots.. The mechanical shutter should be used for single pictures (does not activate in multiple exposure mode) of high speed movement, and the lock gimbal should be used during low light/long exposure shots (not time lapse photography though). If you are doing a time lapse, turn both of these features off to keep your images from shifting frame by frame.
2017-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules