Autofocus doesn't work like an autofocus mode
3734 8 2017-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansed030d76
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi, I have just spent the day filming a long distance run using the Mavic Pro. Unfortunately, all the film I have recorded is absolutely useless. All the of the film footage is out of focus and as this is a one off event I can't record it again. The Mavic has been set to AFC mode however the drone does not set the focus to whatever is the subject in the camera. As a normal camera would do. As I am using a phone (with controller) to control the drone it is difficult to see whether the film is in focus or not. I assumed it would be by setting the DJI software to AFC mode.

Now that I reviewed the wasted film and tried to find the answer on the DJI website, it still isn't clear why AFC mode doesn't work like a normal autofocus continuous mode on a camera. Surely it should auto focus the object in the display and keep changing the focus while the drone is moving. Hence the continuous focus mode as in the title AFC. I read that iIstill need to tap the screen to focus however that doesn't seem like AFC to me. I also tried to take a video where the drone starts close to the subject and then moves backwards and upwards. How can I keep the subjects in focus if I need to keep tapping the screen to focus in AFC mode? Doesn't make any sense. Why can't DJI develop AFC to work like a normal continuous focus for a camera. Has anyone figured out how to get this working and working consistently?

2017-5-7
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I suggest you turn on Peak Focus Threshold, either high or normal. This will show red lines around the areas that are in focus. AFC does work but if you are not satisfied with it then you may need to change to manual focus.
2017-5-7
Use props
fansed030d76
lvl.1
Netherlands

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-7 23:30
I suggest you turn on Peak Focus Threshold, either high or normal. This will show red lines around the areas that are in focus. AFC does work but if you are not satisfied with it then you may need to change to manual focus.

Thank you. I did switch that on now. However it would be good to know how AFC is supposed to work?
2017-5-8
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansed030d76 Posted at 2017-5-8 00:20
Thank you. I did switch that on now. However it would be good to know how AFC is supposed to work?

AFC will focus on the center of screen when you start recording and periodically during recording.
It usually works reasonably well but if you were over an area without contrasting lines to latch onto - e.g. Water or smooth field it doesn't always work well.
Flying into strong sunlight is another thing will trick it.
2017-5-8
Use props
fansed030d76
lvl.1
Netherlands

4wd Posted at 2017-5-8 00:30
AFC will focus on the center of screen when you start recording and periodically during recording.
It usually works reasonably well but if you were over an area without contrasting lines to latch onto - e.g. Water or smooth field it doesn't always work well.
Flying into strong sunlight is another thing will trick it.

I flew over water, trees, bridges etc. I also placed the drone in front of a group of people and then moved the drone backwards (typical sweeping video). However all of the videos were very blurry. I did notice that I switched the recording on when the drone was on the ground and a point maybe 1-2 metres in front on the ground was in focus. Surely it should adjust the focus depending on the subject? Or should I have to tap the screen again or even start the recording when it is further away from a subject? It didn't seem to change focus, regardless of the subject.
2017-5-8
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

And this is why you practice, practice, and practice before recording anything of importance. Thoroughly test all camera settings before shooting anything you want to keep. This is true for any kind of new photography equipment, even a basic camera. It's even more relevant for a complicated system like aerial photography.
2017-5-8
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

I learn't this early and never use that setting it is hit and miss I use the c1 button to focus and turn AFC off.
2017-5-8
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

fansed030d76 Posted at 2017-5-8 00:20

You might get some benefit from this video.

2017-5-8
Use props
fansed030d76
lvl.1
Netherlands

Thank you for the feedback. I'll search for more instructional videos on youtube. I have switched on the focus peaking so that does help somewhat but a true autofocus system on the drone would be beneficial to a lot of owners.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules