Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xavier1984
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1634843 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi,
Strange think with RAW photo mode on the Phanom 4 Pro, DJI Go 4, Android.
Could someone explain my why when i set RAW mode to shoot some picture, the picture result change when i select NONE, D-Log, D-Cinelike style ?

RAW must be RAW ! Why a style/preset overwritte RAW output? It's a joke :-(

When i use RAW mode all preset / style must don't have any effect on the picture.

It's not very praticable when we switch from video to photograpy during a flight -> all settings sould be re-set.

Any feedbacks, advices, remarks ?

2017-5-13
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

Phantom 4 Pro's RAW files also have terrible preset corrections applied, and you can't disable them in ACR. Some RAW editors are able to open the file without applying the correction, but then you have the sick distortion. I don't mind the distortion being corrected, but the correction also adds way too much contrast and saturation to the image that's supposed to be flat. It's disgusting and definitely not professional.
2017-5-13
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Exact :/ I use CaptureOne from PhaseOne to develop my RAW and effectively the image is not really flat and RAW, a crop factor is applied on all image to avoir vignetting. When you come from photography world and work with big camera (Canon, PhaseOne) it's really terrifiant ahahah.
2017-5-13
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the same feelings and share them on a different thread how the image is processed and how it looks without this corrections.
Weirdly Phantom 4 with FOV 94°, 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) doesn't have this distortions, but Phantom 4 Pro with FOV 84°,  24 mm (35 mm format equivalent) has it. Mostly because the lens used in P4P has this effect on a greater scale.
In my opinion, both cameras ( P4 and P4P ) have the processing in place to correct imperfections, but because P4P camera is a different construction ( New sensor + New lens ) we can see the DNGs as is seen by the sensor through the lens.

Its not a fault of the camera, its how it performs with this lens ( sadly ). Nothing we can do about it.

2017-5-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-5-13 01:28
Exact :/ I use CaptureOne from PhaseOne to develop my RAW and effectively the image is not really flat and RAW, a crop factor is applied on all image to avoir vignetting. When you come from photography world and work with big camera (Canon, PhaseOne) it's really terrifiant ahahah.

"When you come from photography world and work with big camera (Canon, PhaseOne) it's really terrifiant"

How much more than the cost of a P4 pro would it be to fly a Phase 1 or a big Canon?,
The Phantom costs less than the Canon but it flies as well as takes photos.
2017-5-13
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting thoughts here. It will probably get attention down the road.
2017-5-13
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

I don't talk about the hardware (P4P, lens, sensor), i'm talking about the process and mainly software and algorithm. If DJI propose RAW function, it should be used a RAW process. The Sony sensor is beautiful for sure. Same impression about D-Log. DJI propose D-log and block ISO to 500 (Native ISO). it's easy to compare 2 video and view the big impact of use ISO500 in term of noise. A small sensor don't manage very well the noise.

I'm just saying that some process are not managed in a logical manner.

Using a Canon 5D4 on a drone is not complex and should be not cost million of dollar (technically speaking), it's just commercial ^^

2017-5-13
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
Flight distance : 781624 ft
United Kingdom

I had a whole post about the Raw not really being Raw. Not even sure it's a dng either. There's some weird stuff happening before that file is saved. Logically it seem more like a jpeg as the file has imprinted settings which is total opposite of a Raw file
2017-5-13
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Do you have the link of your post ? I'm interested to learn about this fact. Hope DJI optimize this in the future :-)
2017-5-13
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Max App Posted at 2017-5-13 12:55
I had a whole post about the Raw not really being Raw. Not even sure it's a dng either. There's some weird stuff happening before that file is saved. Logically it seem more like a jpeg as the file has imprinted settings which is total opposite of a Raw file

It is RAW file but with corrections applied to it. As Canon has Cr2's, Nikon NEF's etc. DJI uses DNG's ( as many other manufacturers ).
Every variation of RAW formats has loads of processes while creating.
And as DLSR's implement color data, exposure info, and many more, DJI is placing an algorithm so it can just crop the source image to hide imperfections.  
Someone on other forum said it looks like the source image is cropped from 20mpix, corrected to eliminate distortion and stretched back to 20mpix.

2017-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules