1870 23 2017-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was out on a shoot this morning and a queue popped up on the monitor to calibrate the compass in the remote. [P4P+ with attached monitor]
    It directed me to move it in a figure eight fashion. I did this a few times till it said it was OK. I am not worried or concerned about anything, I just have never seen this before.
     I have had P3S, P3P, Inspire 1 Pro, and P4P+ and never have been asked to calibrate compass in the RC.
Actually, I didn't know the RC even had a compass.....
2017-5-14
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think may may have been your phone asking for that.  Mine has for me for this as well...just not during a flight.
2017-5-14
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Excuse me, does that mean YOU had to do an 8 while holding the controller, or an 8 with the aircraft? (I would think yourself and the RC). I suppose it is like when my iPad asks me to tilt it around to calibrate its own compass... most probably the Android tablet that comes with the + remote actually has it's own compass...
2017-5-14
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-5-14 06:05
I think may may have been your phone asking for that.  Mine has for me for this as well...just not during a flight.

No phone.... attached P4P+ monitor.
2017-5-14
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-5-14 06:43
Excuse me, does that mean YOU had to do an 8 while holding the controller, or an 8 with the aircraft? (I would think yourself and the RC). I suppose it is like when my iPad asks me to tilt it around to calibrate its own compass... most probably the Android tablet that comes with the + remote actually has it's own compass...

No. It said to move just the RC in a figure eight manner.
2017-5-14
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-5-14 06:51

OK, then it needed to calibrate its own compassj, just like any tablet with a compass. My iPad asks me to calibrate whenever it comes near a magnetic field of some relevance... The monitor on the P4P+ controller IS a tablet... The difference from other tablets is that it has his own, single App, DJI GO, and can't download any other apps.
2017-5-14
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-5-14 07:11
OK, then it needed to calibrate its own compassj, just like any tablet with a compass. My iPad asks me to calibrate whenever it comes near a magnetic field of some relevance... The monitor on the P4P+ controller IS a tablet... The difference from other tablets is that it has his own, single App, DJI GO, and can't download any other apps.

Yeah, that makes sense.
I also have an Inspire 1 Pro and use an Ipad, which constantly asks to be calibrated.
I also use a Samsung G6 but it has never sought calibration.
What appeared odd was the DJI app has never asked for RC compass calibration.
But, since the monitor [tablet] on the P4P+ is attached, I guess it's intelligence is the RC / App.
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

He is talking about the P4P+.
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Proquad, he is talking about the P4P+!
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-5-14 06:51

Sorry.. double clicked!
2017-5-14
Use props
Greg M.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69442 ft
United States

I get this all the time.
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Greg M. Posted at 2017-5-14 12:00
I get this all the time.

This is not normal!!!

You might have an issue with the tablet itself.
2017-5-14
Use props
imagine it
lvl.3
United States

I had it appear a few time in the early going with my P4P+. Never thought much of it. Like many of the other little messages that pop up in the ap that seem to have no relevance. The first time I did what it ask. The next couple of times it just flashed for a couple of seconds and I ignored it and I've not seen it since.
2017-5-14
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-14 11:58
Proquad, he is talking about the P4P+!

yea, I read that.  I kinda feel dumb right now.
2017-5-14
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-5-14 06:50
No phone.... attached P4P+ monitor.

Yea, sorry, I read that closer after I posted.
2017-5-14
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-5-14 07:11

I agree with this...now that I read the OP more closely.
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-5-14 17:15
yea, I read that.  I kinda feel dumb right now.

Proquad... Man you don't need to apologize. The gesture of trying to help is what count!  
2017-5-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-5-14 08:10
Yeah, that makes sense.
I also have an Inspire 1 Pro and use an Ipad, which constantly asks to be calibrated.
I also use a Samsung G6 but it has never sought calibration.

I concur that the "compass" that's requesting to be calibrated is from the tablet itself and not the actual RC component. The compass component is no different from the GPS/compass component that's found in most tablets. Once you calibrated, it hasn't asked you to do it since, correct?
2017-5-15
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

I have had this happen several times in my P4P Plus
2017-5-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-5-16 00:02
I have had this happen several times in my P4P Plus

What kind of areas are you flying in? Are you flying pretty regularly along or are there long periods of downtime between flights?
2017-5-16
Use props
gabriel.magana
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177254 ft
United States

This has been brought up in the past s well... I've never heard of the calibration actually working (does the message go away after you do the figure 8 thing?).  If anyone's had this actually work and have the pronto go away after doing the calibration, please do reply here. All this thing's even accomplished for me is to make me walk around like a fool, and eventually I need to close out the prompt manually.
2017-5-16
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

gabriel.magana Posted at 2017-5-16 13:52
This has been brought up in the past s well... I've never heard of the calibration actually working (does the message go away after you do the figure 8 thing?).  If anyone's had this actually work and have the pronto go away after doing the calibration, please do reply here. All this thing's even accomplished for me is to make me walk around like a fool, and eventually I need to close out the prompt manually.

Had this happen twice when I first started flying the P4P+. You don't need to walk around in a figure 8 it just wants you to move the controller in a figure 8 out in front of you while holding it. It worked fine for me and I have not seen the prompt again.
2017-5-16
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It (The RC) asked twice more today to be calibrated. And, yes, you just move the remote in fig 8 pattern.
Never has it asked me to calibrate the compass in the AC.
2017-5-16
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-16 09:56
What kind of areas are you flying in? Are you flying pretty regularly along or are there long periods of downtime between flights?

Hi. Mainly out in open country. Along and above rivers etc. Sometimes I fly regularly and sometimes there might be a week or so between flights. The aircraft is fine and no compass warnings there, it is just with the RC.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules