Selected Retrun To Home But Mavic Started Auto Landing Over Water
1433 18 2017-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BillTheTechnolo
New

United States

Yesterday I selected 'Return To Home' but my Mavic started 'Auto Landing' over water.

• At 1 second into the flight the home point was recorded.
  • At 1:52 I selected 'Return To Home' but the log shows 'Mode Changed To Autolanding'.
  • At 1:52 I received 'Tips Landing'
  • The Mavic got to -4.8 feet (the waterline is below my homepoint)
  • I applied throttle at got the Mavic to a safe altitude (179 feet)
  • At 2:48 I selected 'Go Home'
  • At 2:48 I received the tip 'Aircraft is return to the home point'.
  • At 4:34 the Mavic landed on the landing pad.

Here is a link to the log:

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Can anyone shed some light as to what happened ?

snip_20170515082531.jpg
2017-5-15
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

"Mode Changed to GPS ATTI" means your Mavic lost GPS fix and maybe this is the cause of auto-landing right there? I'm not firm with evaluating logs, but this is my opinion why it happend.
2017-5-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-15 05:12
"Mode Changed to GPS ATTI" means your Mavic lost GPS fix and maybe this is the cause of auto-landing right there? I'm not firm with evaluating logs, but this is my opinion why it happend.

Actually, "GPS_Atti" just means regular P-mode, though it is admittedly confusing terminology.
2017-5-15
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-15 05:14
Actually, "GPS_Atti" just means regular P-mode, though it is admittedly confusing terminology.

Okay, then forget what I have written :-)

Thanks for clarifying this :-)
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It doesn't show in your log 1.52 that you selected RTH just says auto landing, maybe you should put full log up so we can see.
2017-5-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Can you also upload your log to PhantomHelp? By any chance did you pull back on the left stick to descend right before it started landing over the water?
2017-5-15
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-15 05:25
It doesn't show in your log 1.52 that you selected RTH just says auto landing, maybe you should put full log up so we can see.

It's been documented in several threads in the forum that pilots need to pay attention to the landing icon immediately above the RTH button in the GO4 app. On numerous occasions pilots have accidentally pressed the Land button thinking they were pressing the RTH button. I've done it myself and now only use the Remote Controller physical button instead of the GO4 App icons to ensure I never make that mistake again....

Not saying this is the OP's issue, but I agree that it is certainly a possibility
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Daroga Posted at 2017-5-15 06:00
It's been documented in several threads in the forum that pilots need to pay attention to the landing icon immediately above the RTH button in the GO4 app. On numerous occasions pilots have accidentally pressed the Land button thinking they were pressing the RTH button. I've done it myself and now only use the Remote Controller physical button instead of the GO4 App icons to ensure I never make that mistake again....

Not saying this is the OP's issue, but I agree that it is certainly a possibility

I think you may be right, just one thing if RTH is pushed first and land pushed after it will AC land or just continue with RTH ?
2017-5-15
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-15 07:16
I think you may be right, just one thing if RTH is pushed first and land pushed after it will AC land or just continue with RTH ?

That's a good question, as I've never tried that.  It's pretty windy in Virginia today, but give me 30 minutes.....

Results of flight testing: RTH initiated either way - RC button or GO4 App button with slider must be cancelled, Land can not and does not override.

If you press the land button and slide the slider, then the screen presents only a RED X to cancel. So with the GO4 App, you must cancel the landing and then hit the RTH button and slide its slider. BUT after you've pressed the Land button and slide the slider, pressing the RTH button on the RC cancels the Landing immediately and if held for three seconds initiates a RTH. Thanks DJI, the RC RTH is the button to use for RTH.....

2017-5-15
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Daroga Posted at 2017-5-15 06:00

I was flying around friday. And thought the same exact thing. I wonder how many people confuse that button.
2017-5-15
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
Sweden

I've never tried auto landing, but will the Mavic allow an auto land from 88ft high? I think I'll stay away from the GO4 app icons and stick to the RC for RTH (when rarely used).
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Daroga Posted at 2017-5-15 07:28
That's a good question, as I've never tried that.  It's pretty windy in Virginia today, but give me 30 minutes.....

I can see how some get mixed up with this and this may have been part of op's problem, thanks Daroga for doing the test.
Good job.
2017-5-15
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

It looks like he did a rth (says going home) and it landed same spot according to the airdata log. What probably happened is the rc was close to the ac, think within 40 feet or something like that. The ac will land instead of returning to the home point.
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-15 08:43
It looks like he did a rth (says going home) and it landed same spot according to the airdata log. What probably happened is the rc was close to the ac, think within 40 feet or something like that. The ac will land instead of returning to the home point.

op says he preformed RTH at 1.52 this does not show on airdata.
2017-5-15
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-15 08:51
op says he preformed RTH at 1.52 this does not show on airdata.

Oh I see. 10 char limit
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-15 08:43

There is nothing strange about those logs, OP must have pressed landing instead of RTH at 1.52 so AC went landing mode, second time he pressed RTH the AC did exactly what it should, this is just a mistake by OP in pushing Land instead of RTH at 1.52..
2017-5-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The screen is a bit crowded.  I really wish they would allow removal of the RTH icon and clean up the screen.  Why even use it?  The control is very easy to use on the RC.
2017-5-15
Use props
Berk 4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1381 ft
Turkey

My drone suddenly disappeared over the water as well.
Can someone analyse what happened?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Xak2U_YqpbTFFlcXNHaWs1T1k
2017-5-15
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-15 09:01
There is nothing strange about those logs, OP must have pressed landing instead of RTH at 1.52 so AC went landing mode, second time he pressed RTH the AC did exactly what it should, this is just a mistake by OP in pushing Land instead of RTH at 1.52..

I agree with hallmark007.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules