Can't get a Marco Polo outside of the US? Here's an alternative...
1550 23 2017-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello guys

After learning the hard way about the need for trackers and losing my Mavic over the White Cliffs, I looked into some different trackers to fit on my replacement.  I found you can't actually get hold of the Marco Polo outside of the US, but found a pretty nifty alternative; the Loc8tor.  Whilst not having the full range of the MP, it does have year-long batteries and is way smaller so you'll always have it.

I did a little review on it; defo not connected with them or anything; this is simply my view on what I spent my money on...
Cheers,

Ian
http://www.youtube.com/ianinlondon

2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Note I bought a Loc8tor and it works pretty good.
2017-5-20
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I read that the Marco Polo hasn't got an EU compliant radio frequency hence they don't sell it here.....  
2017-5-20
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Excellent review and tests, that last one is where my quad usually ends up.
I really like this of bit of kit and will be getting some

2017-5-20
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Saw your original 'loss' video, happy to see this.  Might I add the website states the weight of the tracker to be .2 oz. or 6 grams.  I'ma get me some!
2017-5-20
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing. Cheers!
2017-5-20
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Nice review. Have you tested the last location thingy? Wonder how accurate that is. I' like that guy who spray painted his phantom orange.
2017-5-20
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-20 14:34
Nice review. Have you tested the last location thingy? Wonder how accurate that is. I' like that guy who spray painted his phantom orange.

HI Hippoz
Yeah, when I got the replacement Mavic that was the first thing I did when I was making my Critical Battery video.  Find My Drone only works if the Mavic is still on and connected to the remote.  If not, it can only show the last known location, which may not be right if it had lost contact with the remote whilst still flying....   So it's useful and will defo help, but it's got its limitations.
Cheers,
Ian
2017-5-20
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-5-20 22:01
HI Hippoz
Yeah, when I got the replacement Mavic that was the first thing I did when I was making my Critical Battery video.  Find My Drone only works if the Mavic is still on and connected to the remote.  If note, it can only show the last known location, which may not be right if it had lost contact with the remote whilst still flying....   So it's useful and will defo help, but it's got its limitations.
Cheers,

That's a neat tracker. If someone took it out with a shoe, might be able to get it back at least.
2017-5-21
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Note that I stuck it to the top of the drone and it doesn't affect the compass at all.

Wellsi - I forget what critical item is on the back near that light, but I seem to recall that you don't want to attach anything at that location.
2017-5-21
Use props
bombSaWay
lvl.1

Netherlands

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-21 07:51
Note that I stuck it to the top of the drone and it doesn't affect the compass at all.

Wellsi - I forget what critical item is on the back near that light, but I seem to recall that you don't want to attach anything at that location.

from what I learned about items in the back Ocusync electronic receiver above blinking light and above that
in the very top of the shell is the GPS electronics
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

bombSaWay Posted at 2017-5-22 07:35
from what I learned about items in the back Ocusync electronic receiver above blinking light and above that

That is what I thought.  The GPS can probably handle it fine as it is mostly plastic but putting something in front of the Ocusync is a bad idea.
2017-5-22
Use props
bombSaWay
lvl.1

Netherlands

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:55
That is what I thought.  The GPS can probably handle it fine as it is mostly plastic but putting something in front of the Ocusync is a bad idea.

From what I was reading in past posts was the reason some people shielded there motor wiring it was causing compass error by being to close to the Ocusync electronics
2017-5-22
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Thanks,  Ian. Very helpful.
2017-5-22
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bombSaWay Posted at 2017-5-22 07:35

I've not had any compass errors lately; have to fogivbe my ignorance; what's the ocusync receiver?
Ian
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-5-22 13:34
I've not had any compass errors lately; have to fogivbe my ignorance; what's the ocusync receiver?
Ian

Its your link to the remote.  Seems to be working for ya but don't expect long range.
2017-5-22
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

I believe the Occusync relays the video telemetry, so it's pretty important. I think I'll get one of these, although I've gotten in touch with the manufacturer to ask if they do a 4 tag pack as buying the last 2 tags individually adds up. I am interested in where and how people are attaching the tags.
2017-5-23
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

GMG Posted at 2017-5-23 14:20
I believe the Occusync relays the video telemetry, so it's pretty important. I think I'll get one of these, although I've gotten in touch with the manufacturer to ask if they do a 4 tag pack as buying the last 2 tags individually adds up. I am interested in where and how people are attaching the tags.

I have it right on the nose:

Capture.PNG
2017-5-23
Use props
bombSaWay
lvl.1

Netherlands

Wellsi Posted at 2017-5-22 13:34
Ian

It is the Radio Transmission signals Mavic uses
DJI's Ocusync consists of 3 different modes::
1) the 20 MHz mode (having 63 channels, from Channel 1 @ 2,410.5MHz to Channel 63 @ 2,472.5MHz, i.e. with 1MHz channel separation)
2) the 10MHz mode (having 73 channels, from Channel 1 @ 2,405.5MHz to Channel 73 @ 2,477.5MHz, i.e. with 1MHz channel separation)
3) the 1.4MHz mode (having 38 channels, from Channel 1 @ 2,403.5MHz to Chanel 38 @ 2,477.5MHz, i.e. with 2MHz channel separation)
To easily explain and understand what its doing,  It automatically switches between bands for the strongest transmission signal to use.
Cheer's  
2017-5-23
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-23 14:44
I have it right on the nose:

That looks great. Ordered mine yesterday!
2017-5-26
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

GMG Posted at 2017-5-26 14:08
That looks great. Ordered mine yesterday!

If you care what the rear item is, it is a Flytron White Strobe.  I have been flying enough real aircraft to know that I want other aircraft to see my drone:

http://www.flytron.com/led-syste ... ree-standalone.html

Since the FAA say we should get out of a manned aircraft way (Huh?), and I have this tiny thing that can only descend at 6 MPH, it is never getting out of the way of the surprise manned aircraft in time, so I opted to make it visible from 3 miles instead.

Placement on the rear top is on purpose for two reasons...  A, it is not visible from the ground, and B it is not going to interfere with the camera there.
2017-5-27
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

That's smart.  I agree that ensuring visibility for other a/c is basic common sense!
2017-5-29
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Where to fix the Loc8tor lite on Mavic air ?
2019-3-20
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TechVoyager Posted at 3-20 22:35
Where to fix the Loc8tor lite on Mavic air ?

On the battery, with velcro if you have more than one battery....  A subscriber did some testing and found that was the place to cause least interference.

Ian
2019-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules