DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update
1178 9 2017-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

This is not good news DJI, if this is correct I will not longer be using the DJI go app and will exclusively use Litchi, I will also not download any further updates for my RC or AC

https://www.suasnews.com/2017/05 ... drones-next-update/

2017-5-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TAke a look further down the page, you are duplicating an existing topic of exactly the same title. Of, and BTW, suasnews got it wrong, as usual.
2017-5-21
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

What exactly are DJI proposing in their new update? All laws are open to interpretation , if they weren't lawyers wouldn't be needed. Given that any hardware restrictions  may be challenged legally, after all the speed limit for cars is 70mph in the UK , but cars are not fitted with 70mph speed restrictors, even though thousands of people die in car accidents every year due to speeding and or poor driving.
2017-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-5-21 02:18
What exactly are DJI proposing in their new update? All laws are open to interpretation , if they weren't lawyers wouldn't be needed. Given that any hardware restrictions  may be challenged legally, after all the speed limit for cars is 70mph in the UK , but cars are not fitted with 70mph speed restrictors, even though thousands of people die in car accidents every year due to speeding and or poor driving.

Perhaps you could wait to find out what it's all about before panicking at what you imagine it will be?
There's always a tendency for some in the forums to get carried away with unfounded assumptions.
And it usually turns out to be something-nothing.
2017-5-21
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Im interested in the geofencing limits whether they will be advisory or hardware restricted. For instance, with fpv uk insurance, the CAA allow you to fly to 1000 feet when using a spotter, if the geofencing 122 meter limit becomes hardware restricted , then DJI are not complying with CAA regulation. I have disabled all dji apps until I know what this update will bring.
2017-5-21
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe they are going to remove the 500m restriction in places where you can safely fly higher, can't make a judgement without info, wait for the info...
2017-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-5-21 02:58
Im interested in the geofencing limits whether they will be advisory or hardware restricted. For instance, with fpv uk insurance, the CAA allow you to fly to 1000 feet when using a spotter, if the geofencing 122 meter limit becomes hardware restricted , then DJI are not complying with CAA regulation. I have disabled all dji apps until I know what this update will bring.

That's like saying ... What if it stops you flying on days that end in a Y?   I have disabled all dji apps until I know what this update will bring.

ps ... What geofencing 122 meter limit?
2017-5-21
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Well I updated and signed in, and flew a mission on lichi that went beyond 500 metres , with spotters and didnt have a problem, so if dont believe there is geofencing hard wired into the drone, since the new update.
2017-5-31
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-21 03:49
That's like saying ... What if it stops you flying on days that end in a Y?   I have disabled all dji apps until I know what this update will bring.

ps ... What geofencing 122 meter limit?

Height of drone, it was speculated that if there was geofencing for uk drone flyers that the 500m limit would be restricted down to the uk CAA limit of 122.
2017-5-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-5-31 07:06
Height of drone, it was speculated that if there was geofencing for uk drone flyers that the 500m limit would be restricted down to the uk CAA limit of 122.

Speculated by who?  There was a lot of pretty silly speculation which turned out to be almost all completely wrong.
Geofencing relates to geographic areas rather than height restrictons.
The CAA and DJI are well aware that the earth is not pancake flat and that height above launch point is not the same thing as height above ground.
2017-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules