8193 37 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans01d04895
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4321745 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you you are Far sighted an only need glasses to read, do you need to wear the glasses?  Since Dji claims the view is like 10 feet away that should be clear for far sightedness eh,,
2017-5-22
Use props
eMaX
New
Sweden

Even though I use reading glasses, they didn't help me understanding the question.
2017-5-22
Use props
fans01d04895
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

eMaX Posted at 2017-5-22 09:44
Even though I use reading glasses, they didn't help me understanding the question.

Do you need to have the reading glasses on to see the screen clearly
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans01d04895 Posted at 2017-5-22 10:06
Do you need to have the reading glasses on to see the screen clearly

If you're talking about your Android/IOS screen for viewing the GO app, if you wear reading glasses then you'll probably wear them while flying too.
2017-5-22
Use props
fans8fbb746d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10075 ft
Netherlands

"Since Dji claims the view is like 10 feet away"

I think the OP is talking about the Goggles :-)
2017-5-22
Use props
FlyBoyDon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Is it true that DJI claim the focal plane 10ft?   I have not seen that claim anywhere.

My goggles came today and I would say more like 10inches
2017-5-22
Use props
fans01d04895
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

FlyBoyDon Posted at 2017-5-22 11:37
Is it true that DJI claim the focal plane 10ft?   I have not seen that claim anywhere.

It's all over the internet so it must be true lol!!
2017-5-22
Use props
FlyBoyDon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans01d04895 Posted at 2017-5-22 12:18
It's all over the internet so it must be true lol!!

The view is NOT 10 feet away, it is honestly more like 10 inches.
give or take an inch.

You need to be focussed on an image about 10 inches in front of your face.  It is way too close IMHO.
2017-5-23
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

I used the goggles two weeks ago at a show.  According to the DJI rep there they do have a diopter to compensate for glasses.
2017-5-23
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

I'm still experimenting.  I only wear glasses for reading, but I'm finding I need stronger ones than usual for the Goggles.  The rims of the glasses are also getting in the way of the data at the edges of the screen. So in summary I need wider, longer, stronger glasses.
2017-5-26
Use props
DroneNut
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18967 ft
United States

With all the postings about blurriness due to lack of reading glasses, I'm sure it wont be long before third-party corrective lenses will be available that fit perfectly over the goggle lenses. Anyone hearing of anything like that, be sure to post here.
2017-6-1
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48146 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-22 10:19
If you're talking about your Android/IOS screen for viewing the GO app, if you wear reading glasses then you'll probably wear them while flying too.

This was also posted in the Phantom forum, I just hope that maybe you could help?

I have just ordered the Goggles & will need use glasses, is there any hope that they will someday give us a way to change this in the software? Like the way my camera has a setting on the back of camera to set for my bad eyes?

So if it worked with the “FAT SHARK” then it must be a setting, also if I am understanding this thread the video is in focus but the menu is not, that doesn’t make any sense?

What about everything being in metrics? The Drone lets you pick how you want to see information metrics or imperial so why don’t the Goggles follow thru with the settings? This will drive me crazy (not that far from it anyway).

I am starting to think that maybe I made a mistake ordering them between the menus not on the same focus point as the video & speed etc. are in metrics only, is this going to get fixed?

I just notice that i am not in the Mavic Forum. But it sounds like the same problems happening on the Phantom & the Mavic?
I am going to post this in the Mavic thread sorry if any confusion
2017-6-2
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Is this true that I will need glasses, because I need reading glasses at least 10" for a book to be in focus or is there a way to correct in the Goggles?

What about the reports about background is in focus but the menus are not? I heard that some other type of head gear works with the Mavic (without all the good stuff) but you can read the menus so I ask what is up DJI?

Do we have a moderator that can help with this?

2017-6-3
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

test

2017-6-3
Use props
DevonDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71716 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I normally need 1.5 reading glasses but need 3 with the goggles! It seems like its 6 inches in front of my eyes.
2017-6-4
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

DevonDrone Posted at 2017-6-4 06:22
I normally need 1.5 reading glasses but need 3 with the goggles! It seems like its 6 inches in front of my eyes.

good info thanks
2017-6-4
Use props
CaptainET
lvl.2
United States

Yes, if you need reading glasses then wear them with goggles to get clear picture... the problem is when you flip up goggles to fly visually or land w/o goggles --your far vision is blurred till remove readers..
My basic cheap readers fit fine under goggles
2017-6-25
Use props
Howard Hughes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2153209 ft
United States

I have never worn glasses, but had to buy a pair of 1.5's just to bring everything in the googles into focus.
2017-6-27
Use props
Auspete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My script glasses normally used for reading were not giving me a clear image on the googles so bought a pair of 4x non script glasses which has resulted in perfect clarity. I don't know why but is had worked for me. I am absolutely wrapped with the googles - they give me a safer view of where the Mavic is in relation to the surroundings.
I've fixed the loose fitting head band by wearing a base ball cap back the front with velcroed inserts on the sides. Fits perfectly now.
Well done DJI - another great product.
2017-6-27
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

My prescription for reading is +2.5, I purchased +3 to use with my DJI Goggles. A  visit to a helpful optician will ensure you can get the correct Goggle prescription! I also recommend buying a pair that has large rims to minimise seeing the edge of your reading glass frame as you need to move your eyes to view the screen.  I purchased a large Wayfarer style which works ok, a pair of large frameless would probably work better. Hope this helps.
2017-7-6
Use props
Geekgirl911
New
Flight distance : 197224 ft
Canada

Yes, you have to use your reading glasses. I just got my goggles and the picture was blurry without it.
2017-7-10
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Reading glasses also help make it a bit better for me.
2017-7-10
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-22 10:19

DJI-Ken  

Perhaps you can help us and future users.  What we need to know is at what focal length from the eye, did the design engineers use for their optics.  That will tell all of us and our optometrist how to tailor our "reading glasses" to give us a sharp image while wearing the glasses.  I tried support and all they did was send me a copy of the spec page (that I had already looked at before contacting them).

I have an older pair of reading glasses (at least 3 yrs old) and with them I can almost get it in focus.  So I am ordering a new pair after getting my annual eye exam.  I know from my optimist that they can very the focal length from reading with the book close 13 inches (about 30-40 cm) to 30 inches (75 cm or so) for using a computer screen.  We need to know what that focal length is instead of guessing.

The engineers designed the lenses to adjust the focus so that the eyes can see the display as if it were further away.  They know what that is.  Otherwise I will have to send these back.

Thanks
2017-8-2
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go down towards the bottom of this thread...looks like the first shot at a sort of diopter set up : http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D430%26typeid%3D430
2017-8-2
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

If you need reading glasses to read, you will need them to wear the goggles as they appear to be set to a focal length length of about 10 inches???  If you are using progressive lenses or bifocals they will not work except near the bottom where the focal length is short.  The upper part is distant.  My 3 year old at least reading glasses, almost get it sharp.  I have ordered prescription reading glasses from Walmart and will get them 08/10/2017 and will update my post then.  When I fly without the goggle, I use progressives or bifocal and they work fine.  Goggles require good near vision.  If you do not have astigmatism (I do), just take your goggles to a store that sells reading glasses at different diopters  +2.0, + 2.5, +3.0 etc.  My eyes are +2.25 left and +3.00 right.  Good luck.
2017-8-5
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans8fbb746d Posted at 2017-5-22 10:28
"Since Dji claims the view is like 10 feet away"

I think the OP is talking about the Goggles :-)

You are confusing your eyes focal length that the lenses in the goggles convert to a magnified image that occupies 85 degrees field of view .  Think looking through a video camera with a zoom lens or even just a magnifying glass.  So the perceived image is real large and occupies 85 degrees of vision horizontally.  Sort of like if you move really close to your HD TV.  My 55" UHD TV at about 20 inches is about 85 degrees Field of View.
2017-8-5
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

superjet96 Posted at 2017-5-23 10:10
I used the goggles two weeks ago at a show.  According to the DJI rep there they do have a diopter to compensate for glasses.

Well you did better than I have, as the support folks didn't know anything except for IPD wheel.  Unlike my video camcorder, I can not find anything other than IPD to adjust.  The lenses do manipulate the image to make it appear larger and to focus normal 20/20 eyes at a near vision distance (probably around 10 inches).  My reading glasses (at least 3 years out of date) come close, so I have ordered new ones, $39 at Walmart optical.  Will know in a week if they work.
2017-8-5
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DroneNut Posted at 2017-6-1 08:56
With all the postings about blurriness due to lack of reading glasses, I'm sure it wont be long before third-party corrective lenses will be available that fit perfectly over the goggle lenses. Anyone hearing of anything like that, be sure to post here.

There is another thread about "Focus Fixers" where you can order snap in diopter adjustment lenses into the goggles, one on each side.  Focus-fixers.com.  I am getting prescription lenses, since I have different diopter adjustments (+2.25 left eye and +3.00 right eye) as well as some astigmatism.  Cheap frame & lenses for $39 total + tax at Walmart.  We'll see how it works as I will get them 8/10/2017
2017-8-5
Use props
djiuser_Syy8rGz
New

United States

Hi there, my glasses begins with plus number (+2.00), and I use to wear my glasses only when working on computer, doing close up work or only during reading, but since I ordered some cool colored wholesale reading glasses online from citysunglass.com, I love them wearing all the time (I took the advice from my doctor).
2017-11-11
Use props
fans3d9e1631
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69528 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there, I wear +1 reading glasses. Using goggles without glasses the image is poor and blurred. I went to +3 lenses and found crystal clear, use cheap frameless type and works great. Think you need to at least double what you use to read.
2017-11-11
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I have had these 3d printed and they work fine https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2523498
2017-11-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i do not wear glasses for normal day life or for computer use - when reading a book i use +1.5 - for flying with my goggles i have a pair of +2.5
2017-11-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

eMaX Posted at 2017-5-22 09:44

haha:-) - maybe the funniest reply i have seen on this forum to date
2017-11-11
Use props
WOWO1
lvl.2

United States

I had the same problem, I went to Dollar General and bought a pair of 2.75 readers (for my eyes, yours may be different) took the lenses out and  taped them over the lenses on the goggles and everything was cristal clear.
2018-3-8
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

FlyBoyDon Posted at 2017-5-22 11:37

I think the manual says 9 inches.
2018-3-8
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wearing the goggles (not googles) SIMULATES the view as standing in front of two big screens, 9' tall, one in front of each eye, from a distance of 10', which you really can't do.  You are not measuring the actual distance from your eyes to the goggles screen.
2018-3-9
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

If they had used only one screen, you would have to cross your eyes to focus. The strain and fatigue on your eyes, would not be as pleasant an experience and nobody would like them. Smart design.
2018-3-9
Use props
TH757
lvl.1
United States

any normal person    probably will not be able to focus at 9"...i cant.  My solution was the dollar store and  pair of cheap +3.25 cheaters. (trust me you will be surprised at the strength you may need).  I picked up some small self adhesive mounts at home depot  and grabbed a rubber band from my "RC parts bin" (next version i will steal some retainer bands that my daughter uses on her  braces    

Took the stems off the glasses via the screws.  I place the rubber band around the screw( V1.0 shown here...screw through a thicker rubber band)  Place an adhesive mount on either side and then ran the rubber band through that.    This set up allows the glass to remain firmly attached yet they will have freedom of movement. I found that to be very handy.   Works well.!

2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules