How many have been the target of "Fowl" Play?
991 4 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

Pun intended of course. But yesterday morning I was about 1500 feet and out over the Hudson River. It was a beautiful morning and getting some nice shots. This lonely (what I believe was a) Hawk must of thought I was either breakfast or lonely. As I had heart failure he passed overhead and fortunately did not come back in for the kill or thrill. Seemed like more than a coincidence looking back on the video.

So I'm wondering if many have lost a drone to a bird strike? Any precautions to take before or if you see them coming at you?

Thanks
2017-5-22
Use props
fans2a188a86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481677 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not lost a drone to bird strikes, but I can tell you the Purple Martins in my backyard consistently buzz my drone. I take off, go high and get away from them ASAP every flight.
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

There are a few unfortunate souls that lost their drone to a bird attack of some sort, the most you can really do is try to land ASAP if you notice that there is some aggression coming your way. There are some users that reported that certain reflective "anti bird" type decals have helped deter them, but it's not guaranteed.
2017-5-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You usually cannot see a potential bird hazard, because most times they are above your aircraft. So you have to keep an eye out for them with your own eyes, not the camera. If a bird attacks, the best defence is to climb rapidly, as the bird cannot do this and will be attacking from above. But as soon as you can, land to get out of their way.
2017-5-22
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

I slowed this down 50% but he came in so fast I just stopped. I think if I went straight up fast that might have caused a problem as well. Once he passed I was afraid he was coming back for the "kill" so I did start coming back in.
Maybe I scared them more than they scared me.

2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules