995 5 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dorbsz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31047 ft
United States

hi,
Wondering if anyone else here has the same issue. While flying my DJI phantom 3 standard yesterday my cell phone lost connection with the RC, when I checked the RC, the RC battery was out of juice completely. Just like that, I didn't get any warnings or anything, the remote controller didn't beep whatsoever.

I checked the RC battery just before flying, the battery indicator showed full bars on the remote, this was a 5 minutes flight at the most. Why wasn't I warned about the RC battery dying? Shouldn't it beep? Is my RC malfunctioning? Should I send it in for repair?

I had just bought this DJI Phantom 3 Standard and received it on Thursday May 4th (so 18 days old), this is a refurbished unit.

Please advise,

Thanks in advance.

2017-5-22
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

Hopefully it RTH without incident. Could possibly be a bad battery in the RC. What was the RC level at in the app when you were flying? Was it indicating full charge as well, and did it drop rapidly?
2017-5-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Simple check.

Charge up RC till light goes green indicating full charge.
Unplug.
Switch on and leave on desk where you can keep an eye on it.
Watch the LED's and note how long it goes to dim each one till last one is just flashing.

You should not go below last one flashing as this is too low for the single cell LiPo in the RC ...

If you only have short life then battery needs replacement ... the full charge should give you anywhere from 15 to 20 average flights ... total time over 5hrs based on 18 flights of 18 mins !!!!

Nigel
2017-5-23
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-5-23 00:47
Simple check.

Charge up RC till light goes green indicating full charge.

Thanks for your reply. I'll do the test and advise.
The RC battery life seems to be good, it lasted around 15 flights like you mentioned it should. The only thing I'm concerned about is the leds showing full battery the whole time (even when battery is low), I'll keep an eye on the DJI Go app for the RC battery and compare it to the leds.

Contacted DJI and they said it is an issue and I should send it in but reading the many horror stories with DJI repairs I feel compelled to just live with it. Can't risk sending it in and getting back a drone with problems even worse (like the case of the user who sent it in to fix and got back a drone with a 50m flight limit).
2017-5-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

To be honest I don't trust the LED's as they only give a rough idea anyway ...

I prefer to charge regardless every so many flights / days ..... i reckon I probably do about 8 - 10 flights then charge fully again.

The lipo in an RC does not have to supply high current and therefore storage mode is not so critical.

Nigel
2017-5-23
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

Michgolden Posted at 2017-5-22 19:02
Hopefully it RTH without incident. Could possibly be a bad battery in the RC. What was the RC level at in the app when you were flying? Was it indicating full charge as well, and did it drop rapidly?

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to check, I was relying heavily on the controller LEDs and was actually amazed that the battery was lasting that long at full charge. But this is a good point, I might wanna see if from the DJI Go app the battery level is accurate, I believe it may be just a led thing but will keep an eye on it.

If it's actually dropping from 100% to 0% level when checking from the app, then I'll have to reconsider sending it back.
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules