2467 9 2017-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdc83b434
New
Flight distance : 332093 ft
United States

Hello Everyone,

I have decided to take the forums in search of help and to vent a little frustration with my Mavic.

To make a long story relatively short, about 1 month ago during a normal flight the gimbal image started to point down and I lost complete control of the gimbal. I returned home and landed safely. I restarted the drone and watched how the gimbal behaved, all it would do is violently flick up and down a few times before stoping in a downward position. The app would relay an error message "Gimbal Motor Overloaded" or "Gimbal Obstructed". Of course, the the gimbal clamp was removed and the gimbal was seated on all tabs correctly. Naturally, I took to the internet and learned that I was not alone in this issue. Some people had a remedy by restarting the drone in a inverted upside down position which somehow allowed the gimbal to find itself and operate normally. I tried this and it worked! So I thought well thats strange but problem solved atleast. Not so fast! This worked maybe 4 or 5 times and the problem came back and now it was here for good. I tried literally everyting, recalibrating gimbal in the app (failed), IMU calibration (completed but didnt resolve issue), Compas recalibration (completed but didnt resolve issues), Gimbal calirbraion via the DJI assistant plugged into the computer (completed but didnt resolve the issue). After exhasuting all options I got on the phone and called DJI support. They recommended that I send the drone in for repair. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and instruction for how to send the drone in. I uploaded my flight data and pacakged up the drone and controller extremelly carefully and sent it away. They make things clear in the instructions that they do not want you to send the battery. I guess they are worreid about it getting damaged in trasnit or something. Fast forward about 3 weeks and I get an email stating the drone has been tested and repaired and is on the way back to me free of any charge. I was obvisouly elated! When it was delivered I opened the box to find the drone and the controller tightly wrapped in bubble wrap and rather loosely put into a box with a few pices of packing paper. After taking the bubble wrap off the drone I noticed that the gimbal bubble cover was not attached. Instead the bubble cover was sitting at the bottom of the box. I found this odd being that the whole reason for this in the first place was a gimbal related problem. Upon further inspection of the drone I noticed all the little "new in the box" stickers where on it that it was actually a brand new drone. New S/N and everything. Goes to show the margin in these things that they would just rather replace the entire unit than spend the time replacing the gimbal.

I charged my battery and controller for first post-repair flight and I had to link my controller (new drone so makes sense), excited as hell, only to see the gimbal camera doing backflips having a freak out AGAIN! Same exact error messages on the app! You have got to be kidding me! So I have now called DJI support AGAIN, they are having me send the drone back AGAIN! and we are going to start this process all over AGAIN. Very very frustrating especially considering the fact that the supposed proffesinoal repair service decided to wrap up the drone without the gimbal bubble protector on it, Instead just throwing one in the box loose.

The whole thing just seems too coincidental. I'm racking my brain to try and figure out if something is wrong with MY eqiupment or if I am doing something wrong to cause this error. The only thing I can think of is that it could be my battery (I didnt send that in as they asked me not to). But the battery powers up the drone and the camera, I can see an image on  the app, the drone will fly, so it just doesnt make sense that the battery could be causing this. Upon doing some research I have learned that this is very common problem that a lot of Mavic users are experiencing which has me very worried. I have NEVER crashed before. I have had about 45 normal flight before this error occured. Others have had it occur right out of the box. Others after a hard landing or crash. It has me thinking that maybe the Mavic wasnt tested long enough before hiting the market and this product has a very sensitive little camera that is easily broken, especially for how close the mavic sits to the ground compared to the larger models. I'm wishing I would have just gotten the Phantom 4 tried and true model that they have been making/improving for years rather than this brand new portable thing that seems to be extremely fragile. Anyway, that is all. I have attached a link to another users youtube vid that perfectly depicts what is going on with mine. If anyone has any advice for me I would be all ears. Thanks!

2017-5-23
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You had me at: To make a long story relatively short
2017-5-23
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Btw, turn it off, try to move the gimbal by hand and rotate it in every direction (axis). don't forget the lens it self to turn it.
2017-5-23
Use props
fansdc83b434
New
Flight distance : 332093 ft
United States

I know I'm sorry I can get carried away

Thanks I will try that when I get home before I box it up again and send it to off to Cali
2017-5-23
Use props
Soulhawk
lvl.1
United States

I wish you luck with your situation and hope it gets better. I've been going through almost the same thing but i didn't contact DJI yet as i was hoping it was just going to be a simple firmware update fix. i flew mine for about 3-4 hours tops before having to put it away for the winter and thats when my camera started going haywire just like yours. i'm going to take it out of the case tonight and update it to the most recent firmware and keep my fingers and toes crossed that fixes the issue
2017-5-24
Use props
Bmalady
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1070 ft
United States

I was watching a video with a guy using the DJI VR headset and when he moved his head left and right the gimble moved left and right. I don't have a headset and I only know how to move the gimble with the wheel which takes it up and down. Is there a way to make it go vertical ( left and right) using just the controller? How?
2017-5-30
Use props
spoonman21
New
Flight distance : 63399 ft
United States

I have the EXACT same issue as the Youtube video in the earlier post.  Never have crashed, no hard landing, have only 31 flights and 124 minutes of actual flight time.  I love the drone up until today now after reading that this issue is more than likely wide spread.  So I guess it's off to DJI and roll the dice and see what kind of luck I have.
2017-6-3
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

Bmalady Posted at 2017-5-30 11:45
I was watching a video with a guy using the DJI VR headset and when he moved his head left and right the gimble moved left and right. I don't have a headset and I only know how to move the gimble with the wheel which takes it up and down. Is there a way to make it go vertical ( left and right) using just the controller? How?

Open up settings in the GO App, click on the Gimbal Icon --> Advanced Settings --> Enable Synchronized Pan/Follow.
Exit settings and one of your control sticks (which one depends on stick mode) will move the gimbal left & right.  
2017-6-3
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

Bmalady Posted at 2017-5-30 11:45

Open up settings in the GO App, click on the Gimbal Icon, then' Advanced Settings', then 'Enable Synchronized Pan/Follow'.
Exit settings and one of your control sticks (which one depends on stick mode) will move the gimbal left & right.  
2017-6-3
Use props
fans55aee8a9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 449098 ft
United States

I have the exact same story as the original post concerning my mavic.  Now on my second unit, doing the same gimbal overload as the first. Had the first unit one month, had this second unit 3 months.  Someone indicated in some previous posts I've reviewed seems to think it's the cheap limit switches/sensors used in the gimbal.  That's above my knowledge level, but I do know it's a problem, and its aggravating.
2017-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules