Ipad Mini 2 with Spark?
6649 20 2017-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I use an Ipad Mini 2 on the RC for my P4. Can I use the same Ipad with DJI Go Pro 4 to control a Spark?
2017-5-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

The controller looks similar to the Mavic and the arms should hold the mini okay

we will see
Rich
2017-5-24
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-24 16:25
The controller looks similar to the Mavic and the arms should hold the mini okay

we will see

i hope it holds the iPad mini 4, because these is the way i use the Mavic everyday, if it doesn't hold it i will send it back.
2017-5-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mafia16 Posted at 2017-5-24 16:27
i hope it holds the iPad mini 4, because these is the way i use the Mavic everyday, if it doesn't hold it i will send it back.

here is the spec
Spark
Supported Mobile Device Size
Thickness range: 6.5-8.5 mm
Max length: 160 mm

this is the spec for the Mavic

Thickness Supported:6.5-8.5mm
Max length: 160mm
Supported USB port types: Lightning, Micro USB(Type-B),USB(Type-C)™

Looks the same to me

Rich
2017-5-24
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-24 16:39
here is the spec
Spark

Thanks Rich
2017-5-24
Use props
Paraflux
lvl.2
United States

Yes, it will fit an iPad mini 2, 3, or 4. Here is a step by step guide that will show you how to fit the DJI Spark with iPad Mini. Also here is a video:
2017-6-18
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Yes you can, it maybe a bit large though
2017-6-18
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
United States

I think about buying ipad mini 2 for the control with AND without the RC .
Can i get a decent range on  mini 2 with no RC .
i Can't find a range test. on my android device i get poor signal just about 10 meters away so i hope mini 2 is doing better
2017-8-3
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i been using my ipad mini 2 retina on my spark's RC, works a treat with a tablet holder thing to elevate it and angel it right + cheap sunshades for the ipad mini (trust me, it works and thank me later)... also, it seems the iPad  angled up on the controller with holder the signal gets better quality at distance.. its like the ipad 's metal casing is reflecting a lot.  i dont know if the overall range is much improved (distance) the the quality is much improved.. today i did my longest pass yet in area of high wifi congestion!  im very very happy about this new spark i have..   make sure you angle it right on the stand, and use OTG.. grab yourself a micro usb to usb type-A adapter, and use airplane mode on the ipad.. if you want maps, open the maps up inside on wifi before flying and zoom around a bit in areas you wanna fly let them cache, then enjoy.  i got my little sparky out little over 2200 feet on my longest single pass in fairly crappy signal conditions..  works well for me, i cant vouch for anyone else's experience.

tomorrow's test maybe taking it to the water tower in my area i have a sidewalk in mind to launch it from but ill prob chicken out.. wait to this weekend to really push my sparky.  up at the farm while im doing maintenance work, i will have probably a 1 mile or longer clear shot to run it..sort of...some trees but they are down hill from the proposed launch position i will use.  so they shouldn't pose any signal threat.
2017-8-3
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-3 23:47
i been using my ipad mini 2 retina on my spark's RC, works a treat with a tablet holder thing to elevate it and angel it right + cheap sunshades for the ipad mini (trust me, it works and thank me later)... also, it seems the iPad  angled up on the controller with holder the signal gets better quality at distance.. its like the ipad 's metal casing is reflecting a lot.  i dont know if the overall range is much improved (distance) the the quality is much improved.. today i did my longest pass yet in area of high wifi congestion!  im very very happy about this new spark i have..   make sure you angle it right on the stand, and use OTG.. grab yourself a micro usb to usb type-A adapter, and use airplane mode on the ipad.. if you want maps, open the maps up inside on wifi before flying and zoom around a bit in areas you wanna fly let them cache, then enjoy.  i got my little sparky out little over 2200 feet on my longest single pass in fairly crappy signal conditions..  works well for me, i cant vouch for anyone else's experience.

tomorrow's test maybe taking it to the water tower in my area i have a sidewalk in mind to launch it from but ill prob chicken out.. wait to this weekend to really push my sparky.  up at the farm while im doing maintenance work, i will have probably a 1 mile or longer clear shot to run it..sort of...some trees but they are down hill from the proposed launch position i will use.  so they shouldn't pose any signal threat.

can you test the wifi signal on this mini 2 (ipad as a controller ) ? Because i will first get the mini2 than will buy the RC . So if you can check if you can get good signal in the maximum wifi signal distance , it's limited to 50m high and 80m long
2017-8-3
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-3 23:53
can you test the wifi signal on this mini 2 (ipad as a controller ) ? Because i will first get the mini2 than will buy the RC . So if you can check if you can get good signal in the maximum wifi signal distance , it's limited to 50m high and 80m long

DJi has imposed  software level limit on range...  but i can try run a test later on, its middle of the night right now.. well 4am..
2017-8-4
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-4 00:04
DJi has imposed  software level limit on range...  but i can try run a test later on, its middle of the night right now.. well 4am..

Will Appreciate it
2017-8-4
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i haven't given it a proper shakedown because i got hit twice so far by scattered storms, (both time different locations, my luck!) but the range is fairly solid for the imposed software limits i found no weak or dead zones.... is that what you wanted to know? or did you want to know overall range i can push it using either a different app from DJI go 4 or a modded dji app?   if you want to know furthest i can fly it on iPad mini 2 wifi using "other" means like modded apps, that will have to wait till im at my farm this weekend...  i want an open clear shot with both best possibility of signal shooting out really far and best place to recover it is in the wide open.  

however i'm definitely glad i got the RC, onscreen controls are obnoxious compared to the sticks on the RC.  i really recommend it over the onscreen options, for everyone!  i understand its a selfie drone but having the RC makes me feel less overwhelmed as well because in App onscreen im having to look where my thumbs are and where my drone is going on screen and where it is in the open, cannot imaging flying it near anything using onscreen controls.
2017-8-4
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

Thank you very much mate that is a helpful information about the Mini 2 .If you will be on the farm you can check if the spark is in control at the border of flight limit (those 80m) . And yes I will get the RC ASAP
Just now I get 20 meters decent range on my OnePlus and I can't do even Quickshot's.
2017-8-4
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-4 14:31
Thank you very much mate that is a helpful information about the Mini 2 .If you will be on the farm you can check if the spark is in control at the border of flight limit (those 80m) . And yes I will get the RC ASAP
Just now I get 20 meters decent range on my OnePlus and I can't do even Quickshot's.

ya i plan on definitely trying  to go further at the farm.  the range really does depends on location as well, first place i tried i think was too much wifi in the area, did great but between the storm chasing me down and raining me out and the limited space i had that 1st place was a wash out.. the second place was a field, probably private property but whatever good enough, no one shouted at me.  that i did get to all the range and height limits easily. then the storm caught me up there.   

as for gestures, i dont use them, once you get RC and use iPad mini 2 and OTG i dont think you will either, you will just use your sparky for exploring and playing with people that hanging out... xD

today was horrible day for my sparky...  i got her caught in a massive downpour and lightning storm while i was out 2500 feet...in unrelated run...   sport mode and raced her back to me as fast as i could... she was soaked!, but thank god for sport mode. really cuts the time down of exposure..  i'm just going to leave her to dry near my desk fan till tomorrow afternoon when i leave for the farm, cant leave till afternoon because, GF has plans, have to wait for her since she is coming..
2017-8-4
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

make sure if you use iPad with RC you get some stuff like this as well, doesn't have to be exact but these are things i use, and recommend, good template.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPD19K5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011QXQETK

https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Adap ... msung/dp/B00ZL7U5ZW

-----------------------
this is optional, but i reccomend it as it keeps ur sparky in better condition at take off and landing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742CPXW5

i just wish they has little rubber boots on the ends so its more stable at take off, but it works a real treat, gives you and extra inch of ground clearance and it lands perfectly find with them on, just good to keep the spark's gimbal and belly off the ground i think

2017-8-4
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-4 16:37
make sure if you use iPad with RC you get some stuff like this as well, doesn't have to be exact but these are things i use, and recommend, good template.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPD19K5

Roger , but from my experience  i will skip all landing gear and pads because i always start and land in my palm .
Only thing is i don't know if precise landing is active while palm launch ?
2017-8-6
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-6 01:45
Roger , but from my experience  i will skip all landing gear and pads because i always start and land in my palm .
Only thing is i don't know if precise landing is active while palm launch ?

My farm land is not as good of a place to test as I imagined I have gotten further in a semi crowded area with the RC, my furthest run before signal issues was 1760 feet with the RC.  With the iPad only I did  get 300-ish feet in the wide open which is 90 meters.  but my farm through my spark a curve ball I think, I don’t know how..   but one is battery run time.  I lost 4 minutes of run time on average.  And range is around 530 meters.  I do have a 250 foot evaluation change on my property, that was run from the top down.     

So..i don’t know, all I know is my spark is less happy at the farm than it was down in the valley where I been playing with her. i plan on later today hieading back down and testing her out in the valley again so I’ll give her a run down at a friends house along the way see if she plays nice again.

2017-8-7
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

90 meters whit iPad mini 2 only is a superb result I think . Maybe you have some interference in the farm , powerline or WiFi.
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-7 21:56
90 meters whit iPad mini 2 only is a superb result I think . Maybe you have some interference in the farm , powerline or WiFi.

its weird nothing out there should cause it.. power lines are on 1 side...   nothing runs under the farm .. my guess is maybe the stones or rocks messing with it causing something.. cell signal up there is bad and we have a tower like 2 or so miles away ..so should be a lot better...   but at 300 feet it was very very intermittant you have to aim the ipad at it more so at an awkward angle..
2017-8-7
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Yes you can perfectly use the iPad with the Spark, I have tested it. I would recommend this however to hold the iPad more conveniently. http://amzn.to/2vCUNWY
2017-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules