Panning Stutter Issues
2677 18 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

Have had the Mavic for 2 weeks. Everything seemed fine. The all the sudden after a flight I noticed my videos looked awful. In one it looked blurry and then I noticed when panning there is a stutter. It someties completely stops for one or two seconds. I have constant fluid input on the stick and it will just stop and hang for a second. When it doesn't do that, the panning just jitters all the way through. I tried resetting my camera etc.. 1st video is 24ps 1/50th. I't over exposed but I didn't put an ND filter on. You can still see the issue.

Second video is 30fps 120/th.

2017-5-25
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

The first one has a titled horizon. The scond the tilt has dissapeared. With the panning depending on the speed and exposure you will get that effect. Try to fly in the point of interest mode and see if the you still have that issue or not.
2017-5-25
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

Its only when panning. Flying forward/up/down is smooth. Yes the horizon is tilted in the 1st. I did a gimbal calibration which never gets it level, then in between the two videos I adjusted manually. Regardless, at 120th or 50th of a second it shouldnt be that jittery. All my original videos from the 1st 2 weeks are perfect.
2017-5-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

There is nothing wrong with your Mavic. 24fps is difficult to get just right and really needs experience to get it smooth. It needs a very slow pan so you would need to adjust settings in the GO 4 app to slow down the yaw if necessary.
I could not see any problems with 30fps apart from the panning being a bit quick, so I wonder if there is an issue with the screen you are using for viewing or the video program you are using. You haven't said what resolution you are using but maybe you need to try something like VLC to view your videos.
2017-5-25
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

Those are straight pulls off the SD Card. The stopping for 1 or two seconds is reflected in the phone as well while im actively recording. So either the drone is stopping its rotation or the gimble is freezing.
2017-5-25
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

Another today. 19 seconds and 23 seconds. Good exporusre auto ssettings 4k 30fps.

How can you say this is normal?
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Does that happen in cinematic or tripod mode too?
2017-5-26
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-5-26 15:10
Does that happen in cinematic or tripod mode too?

Yes. Just tested in the yard. Watched the mavic in its rotation. The mavic rotates smoothly without any stopping, so it's the gimbal that is stopping and holding for that second of two like it gets stuck.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

fans2fd94c46 Posted at 2017-5-26 15:28
Yes. Just tested in the yard. Watched the mavic in its rotation. The mavic rotates smoothly without any stopping, so it's the gimbal that is stopping and holding for that second of two like it gets stuck.

Definitely looks like the gimbal.  Did you perform a gimbal auto calibration without filter and repeat the test?  Again, without filter.  I'm assuming there's nothing blocking the gimbal at all either?
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

And what firmware is it using?  One last thing, have you tried this without a phone attached?  Just a small blind test?
2017-5-26
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

Latest firmware. I have no filter on in the test. I have auto calibrated it several times. I have not tried it without the phone attached however am not recording or caching to the phone, only on board SD. I'll give it shot without the phone.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

fans2fd94c46 Posted at 2017-5-26 15:37
Latest firmware. I have no filter on in the test. I have auto calibrated it several times. I have not tried it without the phone attached however am not recording or caching to the phone, only on board SD. I'll give it shot without the phone.

I thought you said it jumped on the phone too?  What SD card are you using?  Have you formatted it?
2017-5-26
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-5-26 15:47
I thought you said it jumped on the phone too?  What SD card are you using?  Have you formatted it?

It jumps on the phone while viewing. What im saying is i turned off caching to the phone hoping maybe that was part of the problem. I have tried 3 sd cards all formated in the Mavic. The one supplied with the mavic, a 32 SanDisk Ultra and a Samsung EVO 128. The above video is from the panasonic supplied with the drone. When I say it "jumped on the phone" im stating that it's not just some recording blip, its apparent in every aspect of recording and viewing. This why it has to be the gimbal. The gimbal will lead ever so slightly in panning mode. When you yaw the gimbal leads the shot a small amount to make this smoother when starting. Im going to disable this and see what happens because I think that may be an issue.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

fans2fd94c46 Posted at 2017-5-26 16:34
It jumps on the phone while viewing. What im saying is i turned off caching to the phone hoping maybe that was part of the problem. I have tried 3 sd cards all formated in the Mavic. The one supplied with the mavic, a 32 SanDisk Ultra and a Samsung EVO 128. The above video is from the panasonic supplied with the drone. When I say it "jumped on the phone" im stating that it's not just some recording blip, its apparent in every aspect of recording and viewing. This why it has to be the gimbal. The gimbal will lead ever so slightly in panning mode. When you yaw the gimbal leads the shot a small amount to make this smoother when starting. Im going to disable this and see what happens because I think that may be an issue.

To be honest I would just return it and not risk damaging it.  It's obviously faulty.
2017-5-26
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-5-26 16:37
To be honest I would just return it and not risk damaging it.  It's obviously faulty.

Well, tried some things. Tried turning of front obstacle avoidance, still happens. Turned off synchronous gimbal  transition, still happens. This time I noticed the drone actually WAS stopping for a second during its pan/rotation. So, may not be the gimbal now. Disconnected the phone and couldn't seem to get it to stop in rotation like it was doing. Narrowing it down.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

fans2fd94c46 Posted at 2017-5-26 17:06
Well, tried some things. Tried turning of front obstacle avoidance, still happens. Turned off synchronous gimbal  transition, still happens. This time I noticed the drone actually WAS stopping for a second during its pan/rotation. So, may not be the gimbal now. Disconnected the phone and couldn't seem to get it to stop in rotation like it was doing. Narrowing it down.

I'd give up and send it back.  It just shouldn't do this period.
2017-5-26
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-5-26 17:10
I'd give up and send it back.  It just shouldn't do this period.

Agreed..Sucks
2017-5-26
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be interesting to see a screen recording of the sticks inputs while this happens to see if its the Mavic or the remote!
2017-5-26
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 593356 ft
Switzerland

Hey fans2fd94c46, did you ever get to the bottom of this, as I have exact same issue. Cheers
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules