Gimbal Design Flaw, The Reason for Gimbal Overload
1254 9 2017-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lebowski
lvl.1

Switzerland

Customer service has been no help at all so I decided to open a topic here. Basically all Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro Craft suffer from this design flaw, with one corner of the camera touching the upper part of the gimbal mount when flying in a certain position and moving the camera down at the same time, causing the camera to get stuck resulting in a gimbal overload error and potentially broken gimbal motors..

2017-6-1
Use props
PhantomPilot99
New

Switzerland

Just checked with my new Phantom 4 Pro and I can confirm this. Same issue..
2017-6-2
Use props
Lebowski
lvl.1

Switzerland

Recorded some more footage. Here is how it looks when it happens during flight. You will notice the telltale 45 degree gimbal tilt.
2017-6-2
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

Lebowski Posted at 2017-6-2 02:49
Recorded some more footage. Here is how it looks when it happens during flight. You will notice the telltale 45 degree gimbal tilt.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztZ1Ju20O4M

Forgive me, but I just do not understand what you are getting at. When would the drone ever get to that severe rolling angle to allow the binding to occur? I fly my P4 weekly and have never had the issue that you are talking about.
2017-6-2
Use props
Lebowski
lvl.1

Switzerland

Crack The Sky Posted at 2017-6-2 04:23
Forgive me, but I just do not understand what you are getting at. When would the drone ever get to that severe rolling angle to allow the binding to occur? I fly my P4 weekly and have never had the issue that you are talking about.

You are right i tilted the craft more than i needed to, it was just to demonstrate. But the corner of the camera already touches the gimbal mount when the craft is at a 45 degree angle which happens fairly often when flying sideways in sport mode.  See numerous gimbal tilt videos..
2017-6-2
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

Lebowski Posted at 2017-6-2 04:47
You are right i tilted the craft more than i needed to, it was just to demonstrate. But the corner of the camera already touches the gimbal mount when the craft is at a 45 degree angle which happens fairly often when flying sideways in sport mode.  See numerous gimbal tilt videos..

Thank you.
2017-6-2
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Will this cause the gimbal to go limp?  Have had this happen twice recently.
2017-6-3
Use props
Lebowski
lvl.1

Switzerland

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-6-3 20:30
Will this cause the gimbal to go limp?  Have had this happen twice recently.

It definitely is the reason why my gimbal goes limp sometimes. But support just told me this was exclusive to my craft and wanted me to send it back for repairs although it only had a handful of flights without any crashes or hard landings. Can you check with your copter, if that same camera-corner makes contact with the gimbal mount? Would be much appreciated because Im not really sure about sending it back for repairs, especially after reading some of the threads here..

Will have to visit some stores next week to check if brand new ones have this same issue before I send mine away.
2017-6-4
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Lebowski Posted at 2017-6-4 01:22
It definitely is the reason why my gimbal goes limp sometimes. But support just told me this was exclusive to my craft and wanted me to send it back for repairs although it only had a handful of flights without any crashes or hard landings. Can you check with your copter, if that same camera-corner makes contact with the gimbal mount? Would be much appreciated because Im not really sure about sending it back for repairs, especially after reading some of the threads here..

Will have to visit some stores next week to check if brand new ones have this same issue before I send mine away.

Checked mine, when looking at the front I can make the right back corner of the camera contact the yaw pivot.
2017-6-4
Use props
Lebowski
lvl.1

Switzerland

Thanks for the reply. Pretty much what I expected..

Had the opportunity to examine two brand new phantom 4 copters, both exhibition pieces in a store which have never been flown, ironically both of them had this same issue.
So I decided to make the repair myself with a bit of grinding paper.

Did two extensive test flights today and did not encounter a single gimbal issue
Probably wouldn't recommend anyone to do the same since you will likely lose the warranty by doing so. Personally I don't really care at this point..
2017-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules