Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Active Track/Follow me - won't follow me...
8098 23 2017-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Plawa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 562641 ft
United States

[size=14.6667px]So before I get into this - I've read the manual, I searched existing threads on the topic here but I'm just not coming up with answers...

[size=14.6667px]I've tried ActiveTrack with varying degrees of success, for what I do (riding bikes offroad) I understand that the system may have a hard time picking up an object and following it strictly by optical recognition so I wanted to used primarily the GPS based follow me mode. I have the phone (tested with both iOS and Android) in a RAM mount on my handlebars so that I can monitor the drone plus it's out in the open with clear view of the skies. I've never lost GPS when using the phone for navigation.

[size=14.6667px]My steps - I take off manually, position the drone where I want it, make sure I'm above 10m/33ft, hit the intelligent mode button, select follow me, make sure the signal says strong and hit apply. Usually what happens at that point when I start moving (doing max 10mph) the drone will pick up speed for a couple seconds and then just stops.

[size=14.6667px]I also had trouble making it follow me in ActiveTrack mode (I made sure I was in Trace, not Profile/Spotlight) - it obviously recognizes the selected object and will keep the camera pointed at it but the drone won't move.

I'm on the latest version of FW (.700) and on the latest DJI Go 4 App on both Android and iOS

[size=14.6667px]Examples of all of the above:

Anyone experiencing the same?
2017-6-3
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

Another data point - when I review the flight log in the app I can see that at the point when the drone stops following me the mode switches from FM to GPS. I do put the RC in my tankbag with a stick protector on it (and I don't see any stick movement in the log) but the C1/C2 buttons are not protected - will accidentally pushing them (or other controls on the RC) disable FM mode?
2017-6-3
Use props
Ron in Utah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10902 ft
United States

Plawa Posted at 2017-6-3 20:55
Another data point - when I review the flight log in the app I can see that at the point when the drone stops following me the mode switches from FM to GPS. I do put the RC in my tankbag with a stick protector on it (and I don't see any stick movement in the log) but the C1/C2 buttons are not protected - will accidentally pushing them (or other controls on the RC) disable FM mode?

Exiting Activetrack is done by pushing the flight pause button on the controller. If you are hitting that with the stick protector it would make it hover in place.
2017-6-3
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

I'm pretty sure the pause button is safe... plus it wouldn't explain why ActiveTrack even when set to Trace won't actually move with the object, just keep it centered.
2017-6-4
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

With DJI Go I've had no success if getting follow me to work. I tried with Autopilot and it works with that. So it has to be the GO app that has problems with certain people or certain areas. It don't really make sense as third party developers still use the DJI SDK.
2017-6-4
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Uses the Android version of the DJIGO4 app on an older Lenovo tablet. Last time, which is a week ago, I used the feature to follow a tractor in the field and several people without problems. That in all three submodes (Trace, Profile and Spotlight).

Perhaps your problem is because the color of the motorcycle and lead is very close to the color of the asphalt?

On the other hand, I can not get my Mavic to follow the controller, it gives an error message saying "GPS signal too weak"

Regards Leif.
2017-6-4
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 258186 ft
United Kingdom

Landbo Posted at 2017-6-4 07:21
Uses the Android version of the DJIGO4 app on an older Lenovo tablet. Last time, which is a week ago, I used the feature to follow a tractor in the field and several people without problems. That in all three submodes (Trace, Profile and Spotlight).

Perhaps your problem is because the color of the motorcycle and lead is very close to the color of the asphalt?

For the 'Follow me' to work your mobile device must be GPS-enabled. It does not work with my ipad Air 2 (non-cellular, non-GPS....I get the same error message) but it does work with my ipad mini 2 (cellular and therefore GPS-enabled). Active track does not need GPS in the mobile device.
2017-6-4
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

You can see in my video that ActiveTrack has no problem picking up the bike and the camera follows it, but the drone just sits in one place (again, I am NOT in spotlight mode).

My GPS signal strength on the phone is not the issue
2017-6-4
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

Plawa Posted at 2017-6-4 11:03
You can see in my video that ActiveTrack has no problem picking up the bike and the camera follows it, but the drone just sits in one place (again, I am NOT in spotlight mode).

My GPS signal strength on the phone is not the issue

Try the function in another way. You can go for a walk with Mavic one day the weather is good. People usually look so strange in the face as you walk and pretend you have not noticed anything.  

Advice: You can look at the green shading over the subject you want to pursue what happens.

Yes, it does not matter if you have GPS site lock enabled on your phone as it is not used in active track.

Regards Leif.
2017-6-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I haven't used it much, but when I have, Active Track worked fine for me.  I have not tried Follow Me.  Interesting that it will keep you centered, but not actually follow.
2017-6-4
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

If anyone's interested - here's the log from the flight, you can see at 1m 4.6s it enters FM mode and then at 1m 27.8s it goes back to P-GPS

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PPLOLIT9K0EEK8D05X2S/#

Anyone from DJI care to explain what could be the reason for it to do that? I cannot completely rule out that there was some input from the controller as it was sitting in my tankbag but I'd really like to see a log message saying "Exiting FM due to xxxx". I have the .DAT file downloaded in case that's needed for better analysis.

thanks
2017-6-4
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I hate to ask this, but you did hit GO after you highlighted you and your bike?  Also you are pretty small in the picture and that will cause it to break lock, if you get to small.  Keep your RC and display out and see if it bracketing you and when it loses lock (turns red or disappears)
2017-6-4
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

That's a good question.. I may not have since I saw that it recognized the object so I figured it's all set.. that may explain why it won't follow me.. now that you mention it I realize that I didn't see the "set speed" bar which I assume only shows up after you've hit "GO".. OK, I will try that again.

I'd still like to understand why the FM mode won't stay active.. I'll try it next weekend in Jeep where I can eliminate the chance of random user input, see if that makes a difference.
2017-6-4
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

(sorry for the screenshot but I couldn't deal with the parser here)...
2017-6-5
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

A little more digging still..

I converted the txt file to csv - at the point where it goes from FM to P-GPS there is absolutely no input on any of the RC.channels (aileron/elevator/throttle etc). - it just stops. So now I can confidently say that there was no input from the RC that would cause it to cancel FM mode.

So what's the verdict DJI, is my Mavic faulty?
2017-6-5
Use props
USMC0311
lvl.1
United States

My active track doesn't work, it says poor GPS signal, I have tested this in the middle of nowhere in the middle of everything barren field.. Can anyone help me out with this?
2017-6-6
Use props
melns
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141535 ft
Latvia

When you select target - approve selection by clicking on green OK button.
2017-6-6
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

USMC0311 Posted at 2017-6-6 11:03
My active track doesn't work, it says poor GPS signal, I have tested this in the middle of nowhere in the middle of everything barren field.. Can anyone help me out with this?

Hopefully, it is in Follow Me mode you get an error message about "poor GPS signal",  as Active Track does  not use the GPS but image recognition to follow a person/thing.  

Regards Leif.
2017-6-6
Use props
ars.fabula
First Officer
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

For active-track trace mode , as other have stated, make sure you press on OK (up to V4.0.8) or GO (From V4.1.0).  You don't need to do that in profile or spotlight.

For Follow-me, I also noticed that sometimes DJI GO would exit the FM mode with no error message or other. I had more or less success killing all background process, enabling flight-mode and enabling GPS.  However FM mode is quite slow (not suitable for a motorbike) and won't point the camera towards you.

I personally prefer AT-Profile here's and example  of a successful AT at high speed , tracing an off-road motorbike

2017-6-6
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

ars.fabula Posted at 2017-6-6 13:16
For active-track trace mode , as other have stated, make sure you press on OK (up to V4.0.8) or GO (From V4.1.0).  You don't need to do that in profile or spotlight.

For Follow-me, I also noticed that sometimes DJI GO would exit the FM mode with no error message or other. I had more or less success killing all background process, enabling flight-mode and enabling GPS.  However FM mode is quite slow (not suitable for a motorbike) and won't point the camera towards you.

I will retest AT mode when I get a chance, interesting that you say you had more luck with AT than FM, I would expect FM to be more reliable and be able to catch up even if you temporarily outrun the drone.. unlike AT which won't always recover when it loses the object.. but I'm "glad" to hear that FM mode died on you, seems like I may not be the only one with the issue then.
2017-6-6
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Captain
United States

Where is this "follow me" mode? I've seen active track, profile, and spotlight but I don't recall seeing anything to select Follow Me.

2017-6-6
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
United States

On the second page on the flight mode menu.. at least on a Mavic.
2017-6-6
Use props
ars.fabula
First Officer
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

Plawa Posted at 2017-6-6 15:12
I will retest AT mode when I get a chance, interesting that you say you had more luck with AT than FM, I would expect FM to be more reliable and be able to catch up even if you temporarily outrun the drone.. unlike AT which won't always recover when it loses the object.. but I'm "glad" to hear that FM mode died on you, seems like I may not be the only one with the issue then.

One advantage of AT mode is that you can track anyone. In the video above, I'm not in the picture, but concentrating on filming a friend (and keeping the Mavic out of trees ;)

You need to ask your subject to start slow, and avoid sudden changes (such as U turns on a MX track)

I know that I'll never put my RC on my handle bar if I do true off-road ridding, it's too risky, so the FM mode is useless for me. I'm more or less hoping that with the Mavic's multi-RC capacity, DJI would come out with a dedicated "Follow-mE Remote control", watch-sized, with integrated GPS.  
2017-6-6
Use props
motopa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88615 ft
Spain

I´m gettin here same issue.... start follow me.... and after some meters-seconds... it stops and goes to NORMAL MODE (remote control icon) without touching nothing. My gps signal is strong.
2017-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules