Phantom 3 Pro Compass error not in flight log? Really?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So, I got my p3Pro back from DJI, went for some test flights.
Was quite happy to easily do 8000 ft distance, just like that, no reflectors on my antenas, or anything!
Anyhow, as I was flying back, I got a "magnetic interference detected" or something to that effect. Well, I've done 2 more flights, and got this error on one more - not the other - same area - but the drone was flying just fine.. no issues at all. I did flip to ATTI mode to see if the error will go away, it did not. On the midle flight, I swear the rear LEDs went red, till landing, even though the battery was not low...
Well, looking at the logs I cannot confirm ANY of it!  Did anyone else see anything like that before?

Log links -
Long flight - phantom help      Long flight - AirData
2nd flight - compass error/interference:   Phantom help     AirData
3rd flight: no issues - PhantomHelp   AirData

The replay of the flight does not show this error either...

Perhaps I was half blinded with excitement?

Very weird!
2017-6-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Any errors that were displayed in the Go app during the flight would have been recorded and be presentable when reviewing the Go app records yourself. Perhaps it was an errant phone message that kind of blended in with the app?
2017-6-6
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

I will do more flight tests tomorrow and will try recording the screen while flying... That was weird.... Very weird..    Will update once I have more data.
2017-6-6
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Well, I fear it's a problem, that's getting worse. Still nothing in logs, but the bird turns on white/yellow lights in the back, also warnings in the app confirm it. Since last repair took aver a month from send to return, I am a bit apprehensive, but I want a good working PRO I can trust...  Thoughts? Do I have tyo open a new repair request? Can we do anything to escalate so it get's done faster? I had plans for 4k video.... Plenty compass errors on the attached images Anything else I can do? I know IMU can get stuck, but this is the compass... I did quite a few compass calibrations. Various locations...

on the car, understood and expected

on the car, understood and expected
Screenshot_20170608-204122.png
Screenshot_20170608-204247.png
Screenshot_20170608-204315.png
2017-6-8
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-6-8 20:10
Well, I fear it's a problem, that's getting worse. Still nothing in logs, but the bird turns on white/yellow lights in the back, also warnings in the app confirm it. Since last repair took aver a month from send to return, I am a bit apprehensive, but I want a good working PRO I can trust...  Thoughts? Do I have tyo open a new repair request? Can we do anything to escalate so it get's done faster? I had plans for 4k video.... Plenty compass errors on the attached images  Anything else I can do? I know IMU can get stuck, but this is the compass... I did quite a few compass calibrations. Various locations...

Is your phantom sitting on top of your car? Or something metal in the screenshots? If so, that is your issue.
2017-6-8
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

in the one picture yes, i know, i get the same during flight... at nearing 400ft above ground.. certainly no metal there....
I will go to a remote area tomorrow to calibrate compass once more, see what happens....
2017-6-8
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Just to be clear about what HWCM is saying, don't power up the phantom when its on or near your car. It will knock your compass way out of whack.
Magnetic field interference is common in built up areas and paved areas often have steel structures under the ground.
2017-6-8
Use props
fans2979f8b4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296896 ft
United States

I am getting the same message..In the middle of a 5000 acre feild nothing around remote away from aircraft even and yes a ways away from car..

I am going to try to re install firmware see if that works..

did you get yours working?
2017-6-9
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

fans2979f8b4 Posted at 2017-6-9 08:09
I am getting the same message..In the middle of a 5000 acre feild nothing around remote away from aircraft even and yes a ways away from car..

I am going to try to re install firmware see if that works..

Had this "interference" issue last summer, I hadn't done a before flight calibration for about 6 months, because I was about to fly at a new site, 300 miles from previous location, I did a calibration. This is when all the strange messages started to appear, so I cut flight short.
Messages on every flight! so, returning home I went to my regular field, calibrated my P3A & flew with no issues, & 12 flights later still no issues. All I can think of is I calibrated in a bad location, calibrating at my home field, seems to have fixed the issues.
PS- Back when all this was happening, I did call DJI help line & was told I needed a new compass.
2017-6-9
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Yes, I will try in a diff. location after work today.... The "compass stuck" worries me a bit though..... but we will see....
2017-6-9
Use props
fans2979f8b4
lvl.2
United States

Im not tring to borrow your post. BUT I THOUGJT we had very similar problems.  
I still cant fly...
"Strong magnetic enterferench "
I tried un and re installing firmware.
Relinking the rc (few different ways)
Imu calibration
Rc calibration
Gimbal calibration

Uninstalled app
Re enstalled app

Phantom 3pro
Samsung j7

Firmware. 1.10.90
Remote  1.8.0
App 3.1.5.

For  my 80 some flights ..offten i would get.
In Atti mode.
Gps signal weak fly with caution
Last week i was by high wire metal pole. And did a compass calibration.
Which then all the areas on map screen were red and yellow zones...
So without even getting motors to turn.
The message "strong Magnetic interference"
And i havent been able to start it ip yet
2017-6-12
Use props
fans2979f8b4
lvl.2
United States

I have ttied many different spots to fly.....
2017-6-12
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

The weird thing is, I am flying just fine.. but even the lights on the drone go yellow...  but it sure flies well, and does not act like I have compass issues... I will open a case and send it in.. I am tired of screwing with it...
2017-6-13
Use props
fans2979f8b4
lvl.2
United States

I fixed mine...its was the wire going dowm one of the legs..the gps is on that leg.fixed wire and boom gps fine and strong magnetic went away
2017-6-14
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

how did u fix the wire? explain? replaced it? had to open the unit?
2017-6-15
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Well, the drone is at DJI being fixed.. let's hope they manage it now.... Supposedly an escalated case -         CAS-734840-T4N9M2 .... wish me luck ;)
2017-7-4
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-6 14:09
Any errors that were displayed in the Go app during the flight would have been recorded and be presentable when reviewing the Go app records yourself. Perhaps it was an errant phone message that kind of blended in with the app?

Back from fix #2, this time the whole process took about 2 weeks - not bad. Had one compass error flying low, right after calibration - nbo others yet.. A bit paranoid about this drone.. but....
I can get the internal serial, if I post it, can you cross reference somehow and tell me what the actual serial is, so I can update my statefarm policy? If something ever happens, they would want to confirm the serial, before the claim.... I am hoping nothing will happen, but....
2017-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules