Goggles: Head Tracking Gimbal yaw with .0800 Firmware
2530 8 2017-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I noticed that today's new (.0800) firmware release included a change for "value adjustment gain for Head Tracking", so I went ahead and updated the goggles firmware and tried it out. Sure enough, there's a sensitivity setting for Head Tracking Gimbal and a separate one for Head Tracking Flight. I was glad to see that because like some others I found the head tracking supported by the prior firmware to be overly sensitive.

Sure enough, with an appropriate setting the gimbal adjustments are smoother, but there also appears to be a change that I'm a lot less happy about: Head Tracking Gimbal previously allowed you to change both the pitch and yaw of the gimbal, but now only the pitch changes based on head movements, at least for me.

Has anyone else who's updated their goggles' firmware been able to change the gimbal's yaw when Head Tracking Gimbal is enabled under the .0800 release? I wasn't thrilled with the sensitivity in the prior firmware, but I really liked being able to change both pitch and yaw by moving my head. In fact, I'm seriously considering downgrading to get that functionality back.

2017-6-8
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

I hope to hear an answer soon as to whether or not the YAW control is a bug or a change. Thanks for this review!
2017-6-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-6-8 15:41
I hope to hear an answer soon as to whether or not the YAW control is a bug or a change. Thanks for this review!

Thanks, Joe, I appreciate that. I'm very happy with the goggles and Head Tracking Gimbal mode was a nice surprise feature, especially with the yaw control. Being able to adjust the sensitivity and still control the yaw would be great, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new behavior is just a bug.
2017-6-8
Use props
Daggerfall
New
United Arab Emirates

Hi,

Yes the yaw was possible before . But I am not sure if its cancelled or less sensitive now. Otherwise it should't be called gimbal flight mode.
2017-6-9
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

2017-6-10
Use props
hengheng
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136001 ft
China

Have you update all the devices including UAV and RC? yaw control works perfect to me with f/w version 0800
2017-6-12
Use props
markol
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11913 ft
Canada

I just received my goggles yesterday and it is on firmware .0800 and I am also having no luck controlling the yaw of the gimbal with head tracking mode - only pitch control works.
My Mavic is on firmware .0400 and don't want to upgrade it as it has been the most stable firmware so far. Is there any way to get the gimbal yaw head tracking to work without updating the Mavic?
2017-8-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-6-8 15:41

Were you able to find out whether the lack of yaw control on the goggles is a bug or a deliberate change?
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Looks like a bug. I haven't heard back about this issue specifically, but I've been using full control head tracking all week. Are all your devices on the latest firmware?
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules