311 32 4-28 10:18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The King of the youtube drone range test has just posted this vid on the Avata 2. O4 in a cinewhoop flying in FCC. Enjoy.  

4-28 10:18
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was surprised that the overall range was nearly identical in both Normal & Sport modes.  You noticed the Avata 2 RTH speed is ~26 mph.  That must be the calculated sweet sport for maximum efficiency.
4-28 10:30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-28 10:30
I was surprised that the overall range was nearly identical in both Normal & Sport modes.  You noticed the Avata 2 RTH speed is ~26 mph.  That must be the calculated sweet sport for maximum efficiency.

I noticed that. I also noticed that you need to press the flight mode button on the motion 3 controller to cancel RTH during the low battery RTH warning countdown to maintain speed but the orange lock button to cancel RTH once it has actually initated. No wonder he got confused and lost 5% of the battery figuring it out.
4-28 10:33
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-28 10:33
I noticed that. I also noticed that you need to press the flight mode button on the motion 3 controller to cancel RTH during the low battery RTH warning countdown to maintain speed but the orange lock button to cancel RTH once it has actually initated. No wonder he got confused and lost 5% of the battery figuring it out.

Pressing either one will cancel the RTH.  I was chuckling when he couldn't remember how to engage RTH.  I was saying out loud, "The Mode button Dustin.  Press & hold the Mode button!"
4-28 10:38
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-28 10:38
Pressing either one will cancel the RTH.  I was chuckling when he couldn't remember how to engage RTH.  I was saying out loud, "The Mode button Dustin.  Press & hold the Mode button!"

I wondered why as yet to enter RTH on mine - the pop up on the screen says press the mode button during the RTH countdown then it changes to press the lock button once RTH has started. Makes sense to use either in both cases though.
4-28 10:41
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-28 10:33
I noticed that. I also noticed that you need to press the flight mode button on the motion 3 controller to cancel RTH during the low battery RTH warning countdown to maintain speed but the orange lock button to cancel RTH once it has actually initated. No wonder he got confused and lost 5% of the battery figuring it out.

One other thing Dustin missed.  Just like other DJI birds, even during auto-landing, you can continue to hold the bird aloft & fly horizontally using the the MC3 or FPV3.  On the MC3 you use the small joystick to apply upward throttle or to slide left & right, while using the trigger to fly forward & backwards.
4-28 10:42
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-28 10:42
One other thing Dustin missed.  Just like other DJI birds, even during auto-landing, you can continue to hold the bird aloft & fly horizontally using the the MC3 or FPV3.  On the MC3 you use the small joystick to apply upward throttle or to slide left & right, while using the trigger to fly forward & backwards.

Very true - I always use the joystick for manual precision landing  
4-28 10:46
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-28 10:46
Very true - I always use the joystick for manual precision landing

This.  You don't just have to watch the drone land in place, you can do some nudging especially when you have your landing pad in tall grass for example.  just be sure not to push too hard since these fpv don't like to touch the ground going sideways.
4-28 11:57
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 4-28 11:57
This.  You don't just have to watch the drone land in place, you can do some nudging especially when you have your landing pad in tall grass for example.  just be sure not to push too hard since these fpv don't like to touch the ground going sideways.

Flat surfaces are definitely more important for sure
4-28 12:15
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 959892 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-28 10:42
One other thing Dustin missed.  Just like other DJI birds, even during auto-landing, you can continue to hold the bird aloft & fly horizontally using the the MC3 or FPV3.  On the MC3 you use the small joystick to apply upward throttle or to slide left & right, while using the trigger to fly forward & backwards.

Some guy made a video about this the other day calling it a bug that DJI "MUST FIX NOW"

It's a fantastic feature, being able to tweak RTH path without cancelling it.
4-28 14:12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 4-28 14:12
Some guy made a video about this the other day calling it a bug that DJI "MUST FIX NOW"

It's a fantastic feature, being able to tweak RTH path without cancelling it.

The ignorance some show beggars belief lol
4-28 22:44
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting to see!
5-15 20:12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This was a mild test for Dustin lol - he flew a modified model plane around an entire Hawaiian island
5-15 22:06
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-15 22:06
This was a mild test for Dustin lol - he flew a modified model plane around an entire Hawaiian island

Oh wow, that is some bit of experience then.
5-15 22:59
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-15 22:59
Oh wow, that is some bit of experience then.

Some of his range tests attract millions of views - I think he has tested every DJI drone. The Mavic 3 reached 8 miles!
5-15 23:02
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-15 23:02
Some of his range tests attract millions of views - I think he has tested every DJI drone. The Mavic 3 reached 8 miles!

If you are consistent and entertaining, YT will serve your content often.
5-16 00:21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 00:21
If you are consistent and entertaining, YT will serve your content often.

Yeah, he's amassed nearly 300,000 subs and DJI send him drones to test and promote on his channel.
5-16 00:28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-16 00:28
Yeah, he's amassed nearly 300,000 subs and DJI send him drones to test and promote on his channel.

Yeah, that only strengthens the circle.
5-16 00:36
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 00:36
Yeah, that only strengthens the circle.

Certainly does - you can showcase new releases on the day they launch the eagerly anticipated brand new drone! Though there are a lot of content creators now who get first hand digs on the new drones.
5-16 00:42
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-16 00:42
Certainly does - you can showcase new releases on the day they launch the eagerly anticipated brand new drone! Though there are a lot of content creators now who get first hand digs on the new drones.

Yeah, there is some devaluation in that for sure.
5-16 00:43
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 00:43
Yeah, there is some devaluation in that for sure.

The Avata 2 was everywhere on YT on 11 April - I think every drone channel had one to unbox and review! Some as early as February
5-16 00:45
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-16 00:45
The Avata 2 was everywhere on YT on 11 April - I think every drone channel had one to unbox and review! Some as early as February

And let's not forget the 'rumor' content.
5-16 00:52
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 00:52
And let's not forget the 'rumor' content.

I missed all of that nonsense. Uninformed folk speculating on something they officially know nothing about.
5-16 00:55
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-16 00:55
I missed all of that nonsense. Uninformed folk speculating on something they officially know nothing about.

I also miss that.
Just like the 24 videos showing an 'unboxing' and the videos that have titles like :
- I wish I had known this before buying xxx
- 101 things you might not know about xxx
- Must watch before buying  xxx
- 45 reasons to buy the  xxx
- First thoughts / quick review of the xxx
- My thoughts about the xxx (sometimes without even owning / having it)

5-16 02:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 02:23
I also miss that.
Just like the 24 videos showing an 'unboxing' and the videos that have titles like :
- I wish I had known this before buying xxx

-10 reasons not to buy
-How many times I crashed on my first flight (I have never crashed and been flying FPV for 4 weeks)
-which flight mode is best for beginners
-What accessories you need
-how to in manual (but they never actually tell you and just show off their skills with a million edits)
-xxx  just sent me these ND filters - look at what they do (the image is exactly the same as they don't know anything about cameras)

I just sift through the rubbish and select who I watch very carefully

5-16 05:40
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-16 05:40
-10 reasons not to buy
-How many times I crashed on my first flight (I have never crashed and been flying FPV for 4 weeks)
-which flight mode is best for beginners

I try to teach YT what I like by removing suggestions. It seems to be working ok.
5-16 06:00
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 06:00
I try to teach YT what I like by removing suggestions. It seems to be working ok.

I'll give that a try - everything is drone related at the mo lol
5-16 06:02
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

5-16 12:04
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 959892 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

alex_markov Posted at 5-16 12:04
https://youtu.be/2m0aTWnayCg

Nice one Alex. That seems almost identical to what I did with my Avata 1, I think I turned around exactly at 4.3km too

Gonna have to try it with Avata 2 as soon as I can walk without crutches.
5-16 13:51
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 5-16 12:04
https://youtu.be/2m0aTWnayCg

Definitely a case of battery limitation in restricting distance (if you wish to call 4.3KM restricted). However, true range tests for me are how far you can fly the Avata 2 into a woodland without losing signal.
5-16 21:57
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

A J Posted at 5-16 21:57
Definitely a case of battery limitation in restricting distance (if you wish to call 4.3KM restricted). However, true range tests for me are how far you can fly the Avata 2 into a woodland without losing signal.

~300 m is my average
5-16 21:59
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

A J Posted at 5-16 21:57

Interesting thing - if You look at OSD it complained a lot about the signal But never deteriorated the footage quality
5-16 22:00
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 5-16 22:00
Interesting thing - if You look at OSD it complained a lot about the signal But never deteriorated the footage quality

Seems there are good warning indicators with amber and red lines on screen and of course the bars showing signal strength before you lose signal. I have noticed deterioration at short distances though when the drone is behind a bush or tree just 100-200m away.
Clear LOS is never a problem but the signal is ridiculously weak when slightly obstructed - far more than previous drones I have owned that used Wifi only like the original Mavic Air lol.
The Avata 2 is designed for exploration amongst obstructed areas like woodlands - not for taking up to 400' and seeing how many miles it can reach in open sky. It's not a Mavic.
It would be nice for CE users to at least be able to manually select the frequency channel rather than have to hack the goggles to get a decent transmission. This and the forever charge time of the goggles are the two things I dislike about the Avata 2. Everything else is great (so far).
5-16 22:12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules