306 87 5-3 06:39
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying the DJI Avata 2 is very addictive.

5-3 06:39
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Epic flying skills AJ.  Looks like you had that location all to yourself.  
5-3 11:38
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-3 11:38
Epic flying skills AJ.  Looks like you had that location all to yourself.

I did - it was due to rain two hours later (which it did) so I had the entire field to myself for three full battery flights yesterday - not even a dog walker to be seen!

The field is owned by the Earl Spencer (the brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales who died back in 1997) and he told the local council to keep it in use as a model aircraft field to include drones. It has been my drone practice ground since 2016 and until last month I had not been there since Dec 2020. It was the last place I flew a drone until my return with the Avata 2.
5-3 12:20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying, free as a bird. That's got to be the ultimate rush. I get that   You've quickly got the hang of it AJ.
5-3 22:33
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-3 22:33
Flying, free as a bird. That's got to be the ultimate rush. I get that   You've quickly got the hang of it AJ.

Free as a bird is exactly how it feels mate. Still more to learn but definitely getting there before the next major step: MANUAL! Then things won't look quite so free I'm sure but I'm getting plenty of advice on here and from youtubers but I'm in no rush until I feel ready for it.
There is also the consideration of not going down the manual path at all and staying safe but it's good to have options if things start to become somewhat stayed or repetitive.
5-3 23:21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice flying AJ,    get up there for sunrise and you might be able to include a few dear in your flight.  
5-3 23:50
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-3 23:21
Free as a bird is exactly how it feels mate. Still more to learn but definitely getting there before the next major step: MANUAL! Then things won't look quite so free I'm sure but I'm getting plenty of advice on here and from youtubers but I'm in no rush until I feel ready for it.
There is also the consideration of not going down the manual path at all and staying safe but it's good to have options if things start to become somewhat stayed or repetitive.

Enjoy it to the max
5-3 23:57
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-3 23:50
Nice flying AJ,    get up there for sunrise and you might be able to include a few dear in your flight.

I don't think there are any dear in that area but sunrise is also a good time not to be distracted. This is where I will be learning to fly manual as and when I pull the trigger. The best place to find dear is Richmond park but despite having a dedicated and very popular model aircraft/drone flying field FPV is not permitted in their byelaws.
5-4 00:15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-3 23:57
Enjoy it to the max

That's the aim!
5-4 00:16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-4 00:15
I don't think there are any dear in that area but sunrise is also a good time not to be distracted. This is where I will be learning to fly manual as and when I pull the trigger. The best place to find dear is Richmond park but despite having a dedicated and very popular model aircraft/drone flying field FPV is not permitted in their byelaws.

Looks a good place for it for sure.  
5-4 00:19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 00:19
Looks a good place for it for sure.

As you can see - just the birds and I on a quiet day lol. Ideal for practicing the steep learning curves that await!
5-4 00:29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-4 00:29
As you can see - just the birds and I on a quiet day lol. Ideal for practicing the steep learning curves that await!

They do recommend a little practice in the simulator first, if nothing else to get a feel for how the controls are different.
5-4 00:35
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 00:35
They do recommend a little practice in the simulator first, if nothing else to get a feel for how the controls are different.

That's the first thing I'll do mate - probably many hours over a few days before heading out in very low winds.
With the sims do you just download the app to your phone and connect the phone to the goggles then link the goggles to the RC3? I take it you don't need to turn on the Avata 2?
5-4 03:21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 12:20
I did - it was due to rain two hours later (which it did) so I had the entire field to myself for three full battery flights yesterday - not even a dog walker to be seen!

The field is owned by the Earl Spencer (the brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales who died back in 1997) and he told the local council to keep it in use as a model aircraft field to include drones. It has been my drone practice ground since 2016 and until last month I had not been there since Dec 2020. It was the last place I flew a drone until my return with the Avata 2.

Definitely a nice location to fly at.  It's really great that Earl Spencer allowed the use of the grounds for drones and RC planes.

Did you get rid of all your drones back in DEC 2020?  Doesn't matter I was just curious if you'd just given up on drone flying at that point.  I'm glad that the Avata 2 enticed you back.  

I recently donated my Mini 2 and Air 2 to the local high school STEM program.  I still have an Air 2S and Air 3.  Also, a really nice Skydio 2+.  I almost donated the Air 2S to the school also but it has a better camera than the Air 3.  The Air 3 is nice because it has dual cameras but I just couldn't part with the air 2S (not yet anyway).  
5-4 13:02
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-4 13:02
Definitely a nice location to fly at.  It's really great that Earl Spencer allowed the use of the grounds for drones and RC planes.

Did you get rid of all your drones back in DEC 2020?  Doesn't matter I was just curious if you'd just given up on drone flying at that point.  I'm glad that the Avata 2 enticed you back.  

Yep, I sold the lot! EverythingI Except my micro sd cards and a lens cloth! My last flight was with the Mini 2 in December 2020 and I sold that in January 2021 having never flown or owned a single drone in over three years.
If you told me a month ago that I would be writing on here again with nearly 300,000 points and a brand new DJI FPV cinewhoop drone in my possession I would have laughed at you!
My return was very spontaneous but when I have set my mind on something it just has to happen so it did and it honestly feels like I never stopped flying!   
5-4 13:14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-4 13:14
Yep, I sold the lot! EverythingI Except my micro sd cards and a lens cloth! My last flight was with the Mini 2 in December 2020 and I sold that in January 2021 having never flown or owned a single drone in over three years.
If you told me a month ago that I would be writing on here again with nearly 300,000 points and a brand new DJI FPV cinewhoop drone in my possession I would have laughed at you!
My return was very spontaneous but when I have set my mind on something it just has to happen so it did and it honestly feels like I never stopped flying!

Sounds like the Avata 2 fits the niche you needed to return to drones.  Being on the forum brings back a little of the camaraderie that I miss from my Navy days.  
5-4 14:55
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5271693 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a fun flight.
5-4 17:59
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-4 03:21
That's the first thing I'll do mate - probably many hours over a few days before heading out in very low winds.
With the sims do you just download the app to your phone and connect the phone to the goggles then link the goggles to the RC3? I take it you don't need to turn on the Avata 2?

Sadly DJI dropped support for the goggles 3 to be connectable to a phone or PC for the simulator. the best we can currently do is connect the RC3 to a PC and watch on screen.    Im currently playing with curry kitten sim which is free.  https://github.com/CurryKitten/CurryKitten-Sim
5-4 22:17
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-4 14:55
Sounds like the Avata 2 fits the niche you needed to return to drones.  Being on the forum brings back a little of the camaraderie that I miss from my Navy days.

The Avata 2 was it for sure. This drone is everything I hoped it would be and I've taken to flying it rather well considering. I've been very methodical though and done heaps of research and planning and have enjoyed ten crashless flights as a result despite now doing proximity flying in max sport mode. I'm even considering the next step to flying in manual.
5-5 01:06
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-4 17:59
Looks like a fun flight.

It's great fun BBT - highly recommend it
5-5 01:07
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 22:17
Sadly DJI dropped support for the goggles 3 to be connectable to a phone or PC for the simulator. the best we can currently do is connect the RC3 to a PC and watch on screen.    Im currently playing with curry kitten sim which is free.  https://github.com/CurryKitten/CurryKitten-Sim

You are a star David - this is just what I've been looking for and it's iOS compatible - even on my iPhone. So no need to hook up to STEAM. I'm not into flips etc so I'll probably learn up to manual while keeping the attitude disabled (angle mode it what I think they call it). My preference will be to do dives from high altitude, roll the drone (without flipping) and reach the top speeds which I believe is still 60mph in the UK without hacking anything (which I never do). So I'll probably give full acro a miss which will also help to minimise crashing.
5-5 01:10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-5 01:10
You are a star David - this is just what I've been looking for and it's iOS compatible - even on my iPhone. So no need to hook up to STEAM. I'm not into flips etc so I'll probably learn up to manual while keeping the attitude disabled (angle mode it what I think they call it). My preference will be to do dives from high altitude, roll the drone (without flipping) and reach the top speeds which I believe is still 60mph in the UK without hacking anything (which I never do). So I'll probably give full acro a miss which will also help to minimise crashing.

You can practise sort of in Vifrtual Flight or the DJI Store app under explore,  but you have to use on screen controls,  it would still give you a feel for how its going to fly though and both are free.

Theres no fixed limit here so in theory you can hit more than 60 with a tail wind.
5-5 02:57
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-5 02:57
You can practise sort of in Vifrtual Flight or the DJI Store app under explore,  but you have to use on screen controls,  it would still give you a feel for how its going to fly though and both are free.

Theres no fixed limit here so in theory you can hit more than 60 with a tail wind.

I noticed that - I may just download it anyway to test and can connect the iphone to my 4K TV via airplay for a larger screen
5-5 03:00
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-5 03:00
I noticed that - I may just download it anyway to test and can connect the iphone to my 4K TV via airplay for a larger screen

I started my practicing with the on screen controls win Virtual Flight so theres some benefit from it I think,   You do get a feel for how different it is.
5-5 03:11
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-5 03:11
I started my practicing with the on screen controls win Virtual Flight so theres some benefit from it I think,   You do get a feel for how different it is.

I imagine it's a totally different flying experience (manual from GPS). I'm half excited and half do I really need that in my life...
5-5 03:22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-5 03:22
I imagine it's a totally different flying experience (manual from GPS). I'm half excited and half do I really need that in my life...

Definitely try one of the iPhone apps then,  nothing to loose as they are both free.
5-5 03:25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-5 03:25
Definitely try one of the iPhone apps then,  nothing to loose as they are both free.

5-5 03:35
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 01:07
It's great fun BBT - highly recommend it

It's next on the list. I just got a bargain on the mavic 3 that I couldn't pass up, so a little strapped now but it is next.
5-5 03:50
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 01:06
The Avata 2 was it for sure. This drone is everything I hoped it would be and I've taken to flying it rather well considering. I've been very methodical though and done heaps of research and planning and have enjoyed ten crashless flights as a result despite now doing proximity flying in max sport mode. I'm even considering the next step to flying in manual.

Flying in manual mode will definitely be the final test but I'm confident you'll master that mode also.  
5-5 06:01
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-5 03:50
It's next on the list. I just got a bargain on the mavic 3 that I couldn't pass up, so a little strapped now but it is next.

Congrats on the M3 - that will keep you occupied for a while!
5-5 06:11
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 06:11
Congrats on the M3 - that will keep you occupied for a while!

Yes I couldn't pass up a bargain I want to buy the Avata 2 but this popped up. Flown twice with all the accessories and batteries for $1600. I had to grab it, DJI Refresh included. It flies like a dream and films beautifully.
5-5 06:21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-5 06:01
Flying in manual mode will definitely be the final test but I'm confident you'll master that mode also.

I don't know mate - it looks like something that will require a lot of practice to master over many months. I'll give it a go.
5-5 06:30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-5 06:21
Yes I couldn't pass up a bargain I want to buy the Avata 2 but this popped up. Flown twice with all the accessories and batteries for $1600. I had to grab it, DJI Refresh included. It flies like a dream and films beautifully.

Thats are really good deal - congrats!
5-5 06:38
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 06:30
I don't know mate - it looks like something that will require a lot of practice to master over many months. I'll give it a go.

I wasn't thinking you'd master if overnight Andy.    However, as well as you've taken to FPV flying I have no doubt that in time you'll master manual flying.
5-5 06:52
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 06:38
Thats are really good deal - congrats!

Thanks I jumped on it impulsively and then had a little buyer's remorse during shipping, but once I flew it, I was very happy.
5-5 07:07
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-5 06:52
I wasn't thinking you'd master if overnight Andy.    However, as well as you've taken to FPV flying I have no doubt that in time you'll master manual flying.

I've just installed the Curry Kitten FPV sim on my iPhone and can use my PS5 Dualsense Edge controller to replicate the RC3 while screen sharing my phone to my 4K TV! NiCE!
It really is difficult - it's like juggling four balls while running!
I switched the sim to angle mode (which disables attitude to prevent rolling and pitching spins mid air) and that was much easier as I expected it to be and never crashed in that mode but had to keep high altitude to give myself time to adjust.
I don't think it will take several months to click but a month or two for sure. I'll stick with the sim until I feel very comfortable but have now ordered the RC3 so will learn on that with the sim when it arrives.
5-5 09:18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-5 07:07
Thanks I jumped on it impulsively and then had a little buyer's remorse during shipping, but once I flew it, I was very happy.

I never have buyers remorse buying drones
5-5 09:19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 09:18
I've just installed the Curry Kitten FPV sim on my iPhone and can use my PS5 Dualsense Edge controller to replicate the RC3 while screen sharing my phone to my 4K TV! NiCE!
It really is difficult - it's like juggling four balls while running!
I switched the sim to angle mode (which disables attitude to prevent rolling and pitching spins mid air) and that was much easier as I expected it to be and never crashed in that mode but had to keep high altitude to give myself time to adjust.

One of my grandson's friends has the Avata 2 and he is quite accomplished pilot.  He has both the MC3 and the RC3 and depends on how he wants to fly as to which controller he uses.  When him and my grandson came out for a visit he put on quite the aerial exhibition. He shot some gaps that I though would be impossible and he didn't even slow down for them.  Later I found out he is an accomplished drone racer also.  No wonder he was able to fly like he did on that demo for me.  
5-5 09:40
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-5 09:40
One of my grandson's friends has the Avata 2 and he is quite accomplished pilot.  He has both the MC3 and the RC3 and depends on how he wants to fly as to which controller he uses.  When him and my grandson came out for a visit he put on quite the aerial exhibition. He shot some gaps that I though would be impossible and he didn't even slow down for them.  Later I found out he is an accomplished drone racer also.  No wonder he was able to fly like he did on that demo for me.

I think younger people will be more adept at it due to have faster reactions - you literally have to make constant micro adjustments and miliseconds count. Once you've cracked it it's a great skill to have.
5-5 10:08
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 09:19
I never have buyers remorse buying drones

That's funny they are always exciting. Just maybe they improve a little and not drastically with each generation.  Remember new drones don't improve your flying or photography skills. We have to do that.
5-5 10:20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules