[P3S] Camera Quality Comparison
773 3 2017-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
benoitbelgium
New
United States

Hi there,

I wanted to get your take on an issue I've been having with my Phantom 3 Standard. I've attached a short, quickly-graded clip of a shot I took earlier today. When I asked DJI support what I could do to optimize quality, they told me this is the best a Phantom 3 Standard could do. I'm not buying it. I realize the trees etc. is hard on the sensor and its 1080p 24 MBps capability but I've seen clips that are doing much better.

Anyone have any pointers? The following is the clip I shot - there are artifacts in the trees. Shot at auto, since I couldn't get anything decent out of D-log, Cinelike or Art with grading. It was just too mushy and could not bring any information back.

The following are the clips I was talking about that I've seen do much better than me. Please advise.

2017-6-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I really don't know what you are trying to achieve here. You are comparing apples with oranges.

The first thing I notice is that your clip is shot at 1080p, while the middle one is in 1440p. But in any event, all of them are on Youtube, meaning you have no idea what work went into producing them. Likewise, we don't know what processing has been applied to your own clip. If you want an objective view of how it looks, then post a short un-editied and unprocessed clip straight from the camera on Dropbox.

While you can get good results direct from the camera, many of the clips out there have been graded and processed by people who have considerable experience in doing so. Getting good results is going to take time and effort.

2017-6-13
Use props
benoitbelgium
New
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-13 22:15
I really don't know what you are trying to achieve here. You are comparing apples with oranges.

The first thing I notice is that your clip is shot at 1080p, while the middle one is in 1440p. But in any event, all of them are on Youtube, meaning you have no idea what work went into producing them. Likewise, we don't know what processing has been applied to your own clip. If you want an objective view of how it looks, then post a short un-editied and unprocessed clip straight from the camera on Dropbox.

Hi Geebax, thanks for your comment. I've done several tests and my 2.7k comes out about the same as 1080. In any case, here's some footage I shot in D-log, unedited on Dropbox. I understand people will have more experience and I will become better at it as I go. At this point, I want to make sure nothing's wrong with my Phantom. If you can take a look at my D-log footage and tell me: can an experienced colorist make this footage work - like you've said?

Sure, color grading takes work and time, but shouldn't there be a way to at least get clear footage, coloring aside (no artifacts, jitters, ...)?

DJI_0005.mp4 is a short clip for you to watch.

DROPBOX
2017-6-13
Use props
skiguy1701
lvl.2
United States

benoitbelgium Posted at 2017-6-13 22:30
Hi Geebax, thanks for your comment. I've done several tests and my 2.7k comes out about the same as 1080. In any case, here's some footage I shot in D-log, unedited on Dropbox. I understand people will have more experience and I will become better at it as I go. At this point, I want to make sure nothing's wrong with my Phantom. If you can take a look at my D-log footage and tell me: can an experienced colorist make this footage work - like you've said?

Sure, color grading takes work and time, but shouldn't there be a way to at least get clear footage, coloring aside (no artifacts, jitters, ...)?

Hi
I have a P3S as well.  To get rid of jitter (sometimes called Jello), you need to use neutral density filters.  This will slow down the shutter speed.  I use these: https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... ndard-filter-3-pack
These have helped a lot.  I Use the ND8 a lot.  Look on youtube for phantom 3 standard and there are lots of examples what the quality is like.  I use 1080p30 and get acceptable video.

good luck
Jim
2017-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules