Traveling to different countries without internet
6308 19 2017-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grenny
New
Flight distance : 143825 ft
Germany

I am about to travel to different countries and will not have internet connection on my mobile device.
I upgrade to latest firmware but I am afraid that I cannot use my mavic pro anymore due to restrictions.
What do I have regard before traveling.
Thanks for your help
grenny

2017-6-14
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

What restrictions?
2017-6-15
Use props
grenny
New
Germany

The height and distance restriction of 30 and 50m.
I asumme I need an Internet connection to agree when starting the App. I also can not Download  the relevant NFZ.
Hope  the info helps.
2017-6-15
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Not sure , so for I have needed an internet connection everytime I power up , although a ton of people on here swear you dont . Maybe once the NFZ database issue is resolved we wont.
2017-6-15
Use props
sundance87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 423848 ft
Switzerland

You need to be logged in to DJI GO but no internet connection/cell service necessary for flying.
I've been flying a few spots with no internet connection and didn't experience any trouble.
2017-6-15
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133642 ft
United States

As stated, Log into the DJI Go app "ONCE" ( only required once after update) and then no more internet/data is required.. turn off your data ( go into airplane mode) and test this out before your trip and you will see everything will be fine.
2017-6-15
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... once logged in, don't use the "sign out" option in the app, just close it. When you are in airplane-mode and start the app, you are still logged in... NO RESTRICTIONS...

No need to test it, I allready did and can tell you it works like I said a few seconds ago ;-)
2017-6-15
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Really, as in you can log in  once, fly at your house, shut everything down then drive a few hundred miles away , power up and fly with data turned off, no cell service no internet? I cant, wont unlock distance restriction until I turn on data.

I think alot of you guys asume because it works for your situation that its fine for every one
2017-6-15
Use props
Wormwood Moridi
New
Flight distance : 175128 ft
Ireland

You don't need internet to fly , it just helps , even if it's just the p3 standard , it makes its own connection
2017-6-15
Use props
grenny
New
Germany

Hi guys,
thanks a lot for your prompt responds.
I'm relieved to hear that it will work without internet connection. As it would have been pretty vexatiously buying it specially for a big trip to the other side of world and fighting with issues ;-)
Cheers
grenny
2017-6-15
Use props
fans8b236542
lvl.3
France

To all those that do not have issues flying unconnected: did you try it since last firmware update?
2017-6-16
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

fans8b236542 Posted at 2017-6-16 11:40
To all those that do not have issues flying unconnected: did you try it since last firmware update?

I did.  I have the latest firmware, on Mavic, RC, batteries, and Goggles (and latest DJI Go4).  This had me concerned since there is very rarely any cell/data coverage in the mountains where I like to fly. So I have logged in, cached some maps and then flown 150 miles away with no issues.
2017-6-16
Use props
fans8b236542
lvl.3
France

Thanks for the info.
So DJI is "forcing" you to know the rules where you will shoot before you go?
2017-6-23
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

Forcing?. You have to do 1 simple thing, log in ONCE and then fly thats it. I am really struggling to understand why there is so much moaning about this simple task and can only think they want to fly where they should'nt.
2017-6-24
Use props
gilly4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

Agree with car147. Log in once, go fly. Don't log out, after all there is no need to. Closing the app doesn't log you out. You guys need to chill. Go enjoy.
2017-6-24
Use props
fans8b236542
lvl.3
France

Agreed w/ u both, but wouldn't it be a lot better if DJI was clear about what they need to do w/ us because of what's being discussed w/ FAA (e.g. : it seems that FAA wants to be able to find the owner of a drone that they "capture", hence the need for us, users, to re register because the previous link between the drone and the user was considered to weak)?
2017-6-24
Use props
Daveman
lvl.1
United States

fans8b236542 Posted at 2017-6-24 04:34
Agreed w/ u both, but wouldn't it be a lot better if DJI was clear about what they need to do w/ us because of what's being discussed w/ FAA (e.g. : it seems that FAA wants to be able to find the owner of a drone that they "capture", hence the need for us, users, to re register because the previous link between the drone and the user was considered to weak)?

My concern is not with logging in or knowing the rules, I am all for it so people do things safely and the government does not find it necessary to regulate me out of a hobby that I enjoy.  I just wish DJI would be a little more clear in the wording so everyone doesn't go in to panic mode.  I fly with a ipad mini Wi-Fi only, until they start putting hotspots in the trees in the middle of the woods it made me nervous.
2018-4-21
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

I logged on one time, June of 2017.  Since then, I've flown in the mountains of Colorado with no service at all, and at Home in Texas.  I turn my phone to Airplane mode before every flight.  I do all my updates at home before I go out to fly and I have never had to log back into DJI Go4 and I've never had any problems.  
2018-4-21
Use props
Tony Zoccoli
New

Australia

sundance87 Posted at 2017-6-15 05:34
You need to be logged in to DJI GO but no internet connection/cell service necessary for flying.
I've been flying a few spots with no internet connection and didn't experience any trouble.

Hi my name is Tony I live in Silverdale New South Wales just want ask you a question I have the DJI Mavic pro but I am worried to take it out in the country where I go is at Crookwell New South Wales there is no telephone service there can I Still Fly my drone and do video clips
2018-11-19
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Tony Zoccoli Posted at 11-19 19:03
Hi my name is Tony I live in Silverdale New South Wales just want ask you a question I have the DJI Mavic pro but I am worried to take it out in the country where I go is at Crookwell New South Wales there is no telephone service there can I Still Fly my drone and do video clips

If you know the exact location where you plan to fly, locate it on the map (while still at home), zoom in and pan around the location to cache the map and you should be right to go.

If you want to be extra careful, load the CASA 'Can I Fly There' app, navigate to the place where you intend to fly and check for any restrictions before you leave.
2018-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules