RTH, Spark won't return home
5801 23 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbf6933a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 307064 ft
United States

I got my spark yesterday, and am loving it.  I have checked all my settings a few times. I have recorded my home point multiple times and still when I hit RTH it just lands at its current location.  I have the RTH altitude set to 20m and still it just lands even when its 20 ft from its home point. Please advise.
2017-6-17
Use props
Hansolo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 390 ft
United Kingdom

I'm a new user, no expeince myself. P13 of the manual says
2017-6-17
Use props
Hansolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm a new user, no expeince myself. P13 of the manual says

"If a strong GPS signal was acquired before takeoff, the Home Point is the location from which the aircraft launched."

Try setting it outside, turning it on and waiting a minuite or two before you take off. It should then set the home point automitcally.

Let us know, i'm intrested in the answer too!
2017-6-17
Use props
fansdfae7702
New

United States

I am also having this issue. It records the home point but never returns to it. It just lands at the spot where it is when return home is selected. Yesterday I also had an incident over water where I selected return home and it shot straight up in the air and just hovered.
2017-6-17
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137369 ft
United States

How strong was the GPS signal  (how many satellites)  when the home point was recorded?   
2017-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Did you set RTH height when Aircraft was turned on?
2017-6-17
Use props
fansdfae7702
New

United States

Seems to be no matter where I am the GPS signal is weak but the point still gets recorded. Any ideas on why this is? I'm using a iPhone 7 as I await shipment of the remote.
2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

fansdfae7702 Posted at 2017-6-17 07:57
Seems to be no matter where I am the GPS signal is weak but the point still gets recorded. Any ideas on why this is? I'm using a iPhone 7 as I await shipment of the remote.

When you say weak...how many satellites does it display?
2017-6-17
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
United States

fansdfae7702 Posted at 2017-6-17 07:57

I believe It records it every time it takes off so that you have a safety net for RTH situations - even when it's not strong, I think the reasoning is "it's better than nothing".    So, the accuracy of the RTH depends on how accurate your GPS reading was when you took off.  So it's always good to make sure to develop a habit or pre-flight check of your GPS signal.  Adjust your activity and plans accordingly.

Alternatively, if you have a GPS satellite diagnostic app on your iphone you can check how many satellites you have connected on your iphone.  If it happens to connect to more satellites than your spark, you may want to set your RTH location to your phone, rather than the take-off point.  I believe you can do this before the flight or even after taking off.  
2017-6-17
Use props
fansdfae7702
New

United States

How do you set RTH to phone?
2017-6-17
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
United States

fansdfae7702 Posted at 2017-6-17 08:37
How do you set RTH to phone?

three dots on the top right, and then the drone-shaped icon on the pop-up menu (should be the first icon)
2017-6-17
Use props
fansdfae7702
New

United States

Ok thanks for the tips
2017-6-17
Use props
Hansolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

please delete this post. mistake post. Sorry about this
2017-6-17
Use props
CDSpark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 307064 ft
United States

Ok, so in all my flights yesterday RTH worked just fine.  The key that I found was just being further away from your home point and then it came home just as advertised.  I don't know an exact distance but I was typically 50 ish feet away.  
2017-6-18
Use props
GCBrent
lvl.3
Flight distance : 66286 ft
Australia

CDSpark Posted at 2017-6-18 05:25
Ok, so in all my flights yesterday RTH worked just fine.  The key that I found was just being further away from your home point and then it came home just as advertised.  I don't know an exact distance but I was typically 50 ish feet away.

Interesting... Mine does RTH even when very close...
2017-6-18
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180584 ft
Canada

From the spark manual Pg. 14:

4. a. The aircraft will ascend to the pre-set RTH attitude and then fly to the Home Point when the aircraft is
further than 20 m from the home point.
b. When the aircraft is between 3 m and 20 m from the Home Point, it will return to the Home Point at
the current altitude with the RTH at Current Altitude option enabled (the default setting in DJI GO 4) if
flying at or above 2.5 m. It will ascend to 2.5 m then return to home if flying lower than 2.5 m.
Note: If RTH at Current Altitude is disabled in DJI GO 4, the aircraft will land automatically when the
aircraft is between 3 m and 20 m from the Home Point.

c. The aircraft will land automatically if RTH is triggered and the aircraft is less than 3 m from the home
point.
2017-6-18
Use props
fansf82785c3
New
Brazil

My friend is having the same problem, his spark is settling down as soon as the RTH button is pressed on the remote controller, his is also using an iPhone, my spark is not showing this issue but I haven't updated it, so I can't tell what can be causing it, I'll try my phone on his drone and report back. See U guys soon
2017-11-2
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

I need to check it manualy few more times. 3 days ago mine was below 20m from start point and returned to start point at 30m height (current altitude off) - my video from RTH here - in theory it should land on water.. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 3&page=1#pid1019754 but spark flew to starting point and hover above grass until i catched it and turned off (i couldnt land without phone and didnt want to check for battery drain)
2017-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

medyq69 Posted at 2017-11-2 08:53
I need to check it manualy few more times. 3 days ago mine was below 20m from start point and returned to start point at 30m height (current altitude off) - my video from RTH here - in theory it should land on water.. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 3&page=1#pid1019754 but spark flew to starting point and hover above grass until i catched it and turned off (i couldnt land without phone and didnt want to check for battery drain)

You cannot set RTH lower than 30 metres, unless your setting is RTH at current altitude and all settings must be done with AC turned on.
2017-11-2
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-2 09:07
You cannot set RTH lower than 30 metres, unless your setting is RTH at current altitude and all settings must be done with AC turned on.

u dont understand - my dron was less than 20m from start poin in straight line, not altitude 20m
2017-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

medyq69 Posted at 2017-11-2 09:26
u dont understand - my dron was less than 20m from start poin in straight line, not altitude 20m

Easiest way to show this is to post your flight log, because this should not be happening. You can upload your flight log to link below just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

If this is indeed happening then it would be of real interest to users here to know why.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-11-2
Use props
fansaafcd22e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 374288 ft
Hungary

Hi. I flew today with my spark and rc with a good gps signal around my house in a town. Suddenly the rc signal became weak and the drone wanted to land where it was but it was FURTHER THAN 20M. I could bring it back hardly but that was scary. Here is a picture of what happened. It wanted to land 3 times. But I regained signal.  
2018-1-28
Use props
fansaafcd22e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 374288 ft
Hungary

fansaafcd22e Posted at 2018-1-28 11:23
Hi. I flew today with my spark and rc with a good gps signal around my house in a town. Suddenly the rc signal became weak and the drone wanted to land where it was but it was FURTHER THAN 20M. I could bring it back hardly but that was scary. Here is a picture of what happened. It wanted to land 3 times. But I regained signal.

It was 40m away from home point.
IMG_20180128_201512.png
2018-1-28
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

For what it's worth, Kloo Gee's video has one of the best explanations I've seen on how the RTH feature works.

2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules