Lost drone please help
2004 19 2017-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
user042fabfec9
New
Flight distance : 1032667 ft
United States

Hi, without getting into specifics about why I did what I did, the fact is my drone is gone. I was flying outside in atti mode and almost immediately lost signal. I did everything I could to chase it down and reconnect but was unsuccessful. I'd like someone to look at my flight log and maybe give some insight on where I should be looking. I'm afraid that with moderate wind and the amount of battery I had remaining, it could have drifted for miles.  Please let me know how to proceed. I'm not a novice by any means. I have 21 hours and almost 200 miles on this unit and I'd really appreciate any help.
[media=x,760,570]DJI GO:/Documents/ExportFlightRecords/ExportCSV_2017-06-18_[19-14-43].csv[/media]
2017-6-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I don't know what that link is for, but it does not work. If you want someone to try and work outy where your aircraft is, go to Phantomhelp and upload your flight record there, then come back with a link to it.
2017-6-18
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Apart from Geebax's advice, if you've upgraded the DJI GO app recently, DJI have introduced a 'Find my Drone' option. You access it by pressing the 3 bars at top right of the 'Enter Device >' screen.
I just tried it and the app tells me my P4 was last seen at home 7 days ago - which is smack on as I've been flying my P4P...

Try this and please post what you find out. I'm curious to hear how effective this option is.
2017-6-18
Use props
user042fabfec9
New
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-18 20:08
Apart from Geebax's advice, if you've upgraded the DJI GO app recently, DJI have introduced a 'Find my Drone' option. You access it by pressing the 3 bars at top right of the 'Enter Device >' screen.
I just tried it and the app tells me my P4 was last seen at home 7 days ago - which is smack on as I've been flying my P4P...

I tried the find my drone option and all it could give me was the coordinates of where it was when it lost signal.
2017-6-18
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

RTH should work in Atti mode, provided there is adequate GPS signal. Did you have a home point set?
2017-6-18
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dancopter Posted at 2017-6-18 20:47
RTH should work in Atti mode, provided there is adequate GPS signal. Did you have a home point set?

Unless it was set to hover, rather than RTH...
2017-6-18
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

user042fabfec9 Posted at 2017-6-18 20:23
I tried the find my drone option and all it could give me was the coordinates of where it was when it lost signal.

OK. Have you checked There?
Otherwise I'd have thought that the flight data would have stopped there too then. But I suppose it could tell you how fast the craft was going and you could estimate flight time remaining from power data, then you could draw a line of it's trajectory on Google Maps from last point known. You should then be able to work out very roughly were it might have decided to auto land.
But that's just conjecture - there's smarter people up here who can offer real advice.

Again, please keep us posted on how you go. I'd be interested how the collective here can help.
2017-6-18
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
China

so wait a second fellas: it means if i fly in atti, drone loose connection, it will go back to GPS mode and fly home? i hope so.
2017-6-18
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-6-18 21:18
so wait a second fellas: it means if i fly in atti, drone loose connection, it will go back to GPS mode and fly home? i hope so.

Well, I thought that Atti mode only used the barometer for determining height - that's it. No GPS and no sensors. So if signal is lost, I'd have to assume that it would stay in this mode. But that's a good question - I actually don't know. Anyone else?

And what is the default action for lost signal in Atti mode otherwise?
2017-6-18
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
China

software should be like this: you start in GPS mode. set home point. set RTH when signal lost. fly around. switch to atti mode, be stupid and lost signal. --->drone SHOULD switch back to GPS mode automaticly and come home.
its very normal for the APP to crash alot. so flying in attimode and drone stay in atti when loose signal makes absolute no sense.
if DJI tell me that drone will stay in attimode even signal lost i will glue that damn switch tight to GPS mode forever because attimode is pretty useless and give you a high chance to loose your drone. its more like gambling and hope the app will not crash in the next minute and/or drone loose contact to one of the countless softwarebugs
2017-6-18
Use props
user042fabfec9
New
United States

I found it this morning. I hit the only 100' tree in the woods that I've flown over many times. Big mistake and lesson learned. Thanks for the help!
IMG_6942.PNG
2017-6-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-18 21:31
Well, I thought that Atti mode only used the barometer for determining height - that's it. No GPS and no sensors. So if signal is lost, I'd have to assume that it would stay in this mode. But that's a good question - I actually don't know. Anyone else?

And what is the default action for lost signal in Atti mode otherwise?

My understanding is that GPS is always available, in P-GPS mode (Positional) it uses the GPS signal to hold its current position (horizontal) if hovering. In ATTI (Attitude) mode it does not use the GPS to hold position when hovering, and the only thing it will automatically control is the height using the barometer. In effect it will move with the wind. If signal lost it should still return to home if that is what has been chosen. So in the case above it may have come to rest somewhere on a straight line between signal lost point and home position.
2017-6-19
Use props
user042fabfec9
New
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-6-19 04:36
Glad you found her.  Hopefully with no serious damage?

I only took a brief look at it this morning but the only visible damage is broken gimbal arm and one broken propeller.
2017-6-19
Use props
fansd7679bce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 475486 ft
Switzerland

Hi yesterday i've lost ma P4 too. I've used Pmode and after 300mt distance the app go crash (black screen completely). I' ve recall RtH but the aircraft was disconnected.
I've rebooted the app 4 times but the drone don't connected. I've switched off and on RC...nothing.
Today i went where the drone was connected for the last time but don't been. Checked in find my drone the position that was shown but nothing. Now i ask to you. Have you never crash the app during flying? What are the right operations need to do in alternative?

20170618_103920.jpg
2017-6-19
Use props
fansd7679bce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 475486 ft
Switzerland

I forget to show my degree
Screenshot_20170619-195147.png
2017-6-19
Use props
Alxy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84350 ft
Switzerland

fansd7679bce Posted at 2017-6-19 09:49
Hi yesterday i've lost ma P4 too. I've used Pmode and after 300mt distance the app go crash (black screen completely). I' ve recall RtH but the aircraft was disconnected.
I've rebooted the app 4 times but the drone don't connected. I've switched off and on RC...nothing.
Today i went where the drone was connected for the last time but don't been. Checked in find my drone the position that was shown but nothing. Now i ask to you. Have you never crash the app during flying? What are the right operations need to do in alternative?

Strange. I kill the app every time I fly, because I could not get out of some strange message windows. The control is not lost though and the app works fine after the restart. Did you have P4 or P4Pro or P4P+?
2017-6-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

I fly a Phantom P4 using the DJI go4 App on an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab2 running Android Nougat (Latest version).  The App occasionally crashes mid-flight, but a screen appears saying "Do you want to restart the App?"  I just click yes and the App immediately restarts where it left off, and control of the bird is restored to the tablet screen. Meantime, control of the craft is still possible with the RC.  And with RTH set at the point of takeoff, if a delay of longer than about 30 seconds occurs the bird comes back automatically like a homing pigeon.   
2017-6-19
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Even if the app crashes you still have full control of the quad. If you do loose rc connection and the quad doesnt come back it is absolutely imperative that you reconnect before the battery dies. If you dont you will have no data to find it. If the battery was ejected take your last known location and draw a line back to the home point and it will be somewhere between those two locations. It flies home when signal is lost if you set it up that way so as soon as it lost connection it should have stopped and turned for home so it would be somewhere between last location and home. If it was in atti mode it could drift with the wind but it should still be close to the b line for rth.
2017-6-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

user042fabfec9 Posted at 2017-6-19 02:47
I found it this morning. I hit the only 100' tree in the woods that I've flown over many times. Big mistake and lesson learned. Thanks for the help!

Woohoo! So how did you find it? By chance, or did you consider it's flight path etc?
2017-6-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-6-19 18:49
Assuming you had the drone set to RTH on signal loss, & an appropriately high RTH altitude set for your location, the drone should have returned even if signal was lost.  One thing I recommend if your bird is out-of-site & the app is crashed is to turn off the controller.  The reason is sometimes, even though the RC may show a red "disconnected" indicator, there may still be enough contact that the drone doesnt engage RTH & remains hovering in place awaiting pilot input.  Powering off the controller insures signal is lost completely  & RTH will then engage.  Once you hear the drone approaching or regain visual contact you can power up the RC & take control.

^ Good advice.
2017-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules