My first flight was ridiculous
1108 4 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1ffc2168
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73291 ft
United States

Ok.  I started with a phantom, then an Inspire 1, then sold it all for a mavic, then just added the spark.  So, I know a little but about DJI Drones.  

It took a while to set up the spark.  More than I expected.  I got the FlyMore.  Activating with the QRC code did not work, so I went manual.  Connecting the controller was not as straightforward as I would have thought.  But I got it done  

I had to go somewhere, So I grabbed the spark.  Thunderstorms were about to happen, but no rain yet.  I took the spark to a field.  I did a palm-launch.  Neat.  I moved it and waved and it moved up and back.  Also neat.  

Then I started to walk.  Normal pace.  It tracked me.  Until it stopped.  Then I did the Y, and nothing happened.  It just hovered there.  That's when things got goofy.  I am giving it the Y, giving it the wave.  Giving it the bird.  Nothing.  I noticed that when I walked away, the lights turned red.  When I approached, the lights turned green.  It would even take a selfie when I did a frame gesture.  But it would not come back.  Then, the skies began to open up.  Luckily there was a little step latter near by.  I ran and grabbed it, then hopped up and grabbed it.  It tried to fly up, but I got the better of it.  Then it got scary.  I pulled it down, and it really insisted on being up.  I slowly twisted it on its side and it finally turned off.  I read that trick on this forum somewhere.  

So, what the heck went wrong?

Thanks
2017-6-19
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

LOL that was a funny read. I could picture the panic, the ladder, you flipping the bird, hair pulling etc.  

I can say while I have not had the same level of frustration, it DID take me awhile to master gestures AND I learned one valuable lesson:  Regardless of whether you can palm launch without the drone connected to your phone or not, it has been invaluable to always connect it to my phone, launch the go app and wait for GPS before hand launching or flying purely in gesture mode.  I know it's an extra step BUT it would save you from having to get the ladder to be able to just pull the phone out of your pocket, and take control of the drone in addition it promises additional stability knowing the spark is locked in with GPS in addition to the vision sensors.

That all said....here is what I learned about gestures:
1) stand still and do not move while the drone is in the middle of a gesture controlled move.  Ex: When it flies away to start tracking you...stand still until lights are green.

2) Wait for red lights to begin your next gesture mode/move.  When the drone is flying back to you after "summoning" it, wait for it to hover in front of you AND the lights turn red before giving it another command.

3) To enter follow me mode with the "Wave" gesture, use your arm (not your wrist)  waving across the drones front sensor and continue the gesture until the drone reacts.

My gesture accuracy went from 50/50 to more then 90% accuracy after some practice.  I measured the % accuracy on a notepad per flight.  Practice def makes a huge difference.
2017-6-19
Use props
fans1ffc2168
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73291 ft
United States

Natemare13 Posted at 2017-6-19 09:54
LOL that was a funny read. I could picture the panic, the ladder, you flipping the bird, hair pulling etc.  

I can say while I have not had the same level of frustration, it DID take me awhile to master gestures AND I learned one valuable lesson:  Regardless of whether you can palm launch without the drone connected to your phone or not, it has been invaluable to always connect it to my phone, launch the go app and wait for GPS before hand launching or flying purely in gesture mode.  I know it's an extra step BUT it would save you from having to get the ladder to be able to just pull the phone out of your pocket, and take control of the drone in addition it promises additional stability knowing the spark is locked in with GPS in addition to the vision sensors.

Thanks for that!  So, in my situation, is there a way to recover if it loses you and you want it to come back?  I was moving to the lights turned green when I did the Y.  Should they have been red?  

Signed,

Confused.  
2017-6-19
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had something similar happen on my first flight, used auto take off on smartphone then try to control with remote, nothing?  I couldn't get spark back down, I then push return home, the spark flew up about 10 feet in the air about 1 inch from the corner of my roof. I grabbed the step ladder and got the spark safety to the ground. I then went inside and read the owners manual...
2017-6-19
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans1ffc2168 Posted at 2017-6-19 09:56
Thanks for that!  So, in my situation, is there a way to recover if it loses you and you want it to come back?  I was moving to the lights turned green when I did the Y.  Should they have been red?  

Signed,

if you are connected via your phone, you simple exit gesture mode (by switching modes back to "Normal") and fly it back to yourself.  If you are NOT connected via phone, you can take your phone out and connect to the drone while it''s hovering (assuming it's still in range).

If you dont have your phone, and the drone is hovering, try moving closer and further away to get yourself back into where the gimbal is pointing, then proceed with proper gestures .
2017-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules