Looking for advice and tips on bringing Mavic to the beach
1343 6 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
K6-Prefix
lvl.1
United States

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning on going to the beach and using the Mavic to film the area. What are some ways to keep the drone protected from sand, and the atmosphere of the salt water from the sea, and things of that nature basically.

I've seen some things on Amazon where there are drone lens protections and things like that, has anyone tried those?

All advice is appreciated.

2017-6-20
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I dont do palm launch as I think it is dangerous with the mavic I only do palm launch with the spark... however for taking off from the beach I recommend getting this http://amzn.to/2tpDrsj so the sand can't be blown by the blades, you can just quickly take off and fly
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Landing pad for beach, wipe down with lightly damp cloth , remove props when doing this, check motors for grit when you finish flying and again when starting out, there is not much more you can do, I live by the sea and have never had any problems , but I try to do above as often as I can.
2017-6-20
Use props
K6-Prefix
lvl.1
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-20 10:19
I dont do palm launch as I think it is dangerous with the mavic I only do palm launch with the spark... however for taking off from the beach I recommend getting this http://amzn.to/2tpDrsj so the sand can't be blown by the blades, you can just quickly take off and fly

Didn't even think about taking off procedures, ill look into this, thanks.
2017-6-20
Use props
K6-Prefix
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-20 10:26
Landing pad for beach, wipe down with lightly damp cloth , remove props when doing this, check motors for grit when you finish flying and again when starting out, there is not much more you can do, I live by the sea and have never had any problems , but I try to do above as often as I can.

I'll definitely make that my routine when I go, thanks.
2017-6-20
Use props
Mr2MkII
New
United States

K6-Prefix Posted at 2017-6-20 12:22
I'll definitely make that my routine when I go, thanks.

I've been flyin' mine all week at the beach and it's done very well.  Having a landing pad (well secured) is definitely going to minimize sand/salt getting washed up from the props.  First launch I did was without one and had me blowing out the air intake, crevices, and motors quite a bit!  The other thing I recommend is keep on some form of camera/gimbal cover.  Either the stock one, or at least using the one open to the front but with a filter to help doubly protect the lens.   I found that the saltwater from seaspray builds up quick on the cover (at least when flying lower).   I recommend carrying typical lense wipes to clean it, the front detectors, and bottom cameras regularly.   
Oh and if your concerned about wind, the Mavic did amazing even at ~18knots the other day.  (A little red notice from the drone about high winds did come up, but held fine!)

2017-6-20
Use props
fanse1ba147f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 447293 ft
Mexico

Usually I try to do the adjustments in the trunk of the car or somewhere else safe far from wind and sand flying. After this I take off from my hand as it is the further from sand I want to get (Maybe I'm too naive trusting my mavic won't rip my fingers, but I'm as cautious as I can). I never fly low close to the sea mist. After landing I always blow some air to take random sand that could have made it to the device. Also as all my photographic equipment, I carry it in one of those waterproof bags loaded with those anti humidity inserts, to keep sand and moist away.
2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules