iPad mini 4 - and Spark Controller
4735 14 2017-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

After finding that I had a REALLY hard time being able to see the small text and icons on my iPhone 6 Plus (60 years old, no glasses, bright sunshine and reflective screen all being negative factors) - I was pretty frustrated - but, decided to double down and buy an iPad Mini 4 (which Best Buy has on sale, for $299.00 for the 128 GB model, by the way).  I was even able to trade in an older 16GB iPad Air 2, and got $165.00 OFF the price.

I can't tell you how much better I can see the screen now - not only does it have more real estate to work with - Apple specs say it has a non-reflective screen - and it was easier to see in the bright sunlight.  I'm a happy camper with the new set-up - and if you follow the directions that others have posted - by starting with one corner of the iPad into the opened part of the controller arm, and then slipping the other arm in.  

iPad Mini 4 and Spark Controller

iPad Mini 4 and Spark Controller
2017-6-21
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly all my DJI drones with my iPad mini.  IMO it's the best option, especially with my bad eyesight.
2017-6-21
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-21 09:07
I fly all my DJI drones with my iPad mini.  IMO it's the best option, especially with my bad eyesight.

. . . And, our "Advanced Age."

I'm 65
2017-6-21
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-21 09:09
. . . And, our "Advanced Age."

I'm 65

LOL...yeah, my bad eyesight and advance age go hand in hand
2017-6-21
Use props
SpicyLobster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

get one of these:

https://www.thorsdroneworld.com/

works much better than just using the controller.
2017-6-21
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

For what - iPad Mini 4 fits the RC like  a glove without adding complications, bulk and weight?

"If it ain't broke, dont fix it" works for me.
2017-6-21
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kinda overkill...especially since the Spark is meant to be "ultra-portable".
2017-6-21
Use props
SpicyLobster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-21 10:57
Kinda overkill...especially since the Spark is meant to be "ultra-portable".

The spark is versatile, but if you are using an ipad anyways, pulling out one more piece isnt that big of a deal. I will fly it mostly with my phone connected to RC anyways since
2017-6-21
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

Does anyone know if using the iPad mini 4 WiFi only version, if the "follow me" mode will work?  Or would you have to have the iPad mini 4 Cellular version, which I understand has built in GPS even when you don't have a SIM card installed?
2017-6-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-6-30 09:50
Does anyone know if using the iPad mini 4 WiFi only version, if the "follow me" mode will work?  Or would you have to have the iPad mini 4 Cellular version, which I understand has built in GPS even when you don't have a SIM card installed?

If you mean Active Track...you don't need a GPS device.
2017-6-30
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

I have both - but have not used the Mini 4 WiFi only for the Spark.  I THINK that to use the Mini 4 WiFi Only you would have to have an external GPS receiver connected somewhere - BUT, I Don't KNOW that for certain.

I do know that I have NEVER inserted a SIM card in my Mini 4 GSM and I do get the maps, but I've never used the "Follow Me" feature
2017-6-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Copied from manual:
Capture1.JPG
2017-6-30
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I would consider using a iPad instead of my iPhone however would want to use one of these http://amzn.to/2svCAVk as the arms look stretched
2017-6-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-30 11:41
I would consider using a iPad instead of my iPhone however would want to use one of these http://amzn.to/2svCAVk as the arms look stretched

The arms on the RC were meant to handle an iPad Mini.  That's why there are those rectangular notches in each arm.
2017-6-30
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iPad Mini 4, Mavic tablet holder and wired RC connection for me when the Spark arrives. Fly my P4Pro like this and its brilliant. Cache maps of the area I want to fly in the background before I go out and wired connection. Got all the bits ready for when she arrives.
2017-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules