Quality video testing (with and without DJI app edition)
6204 33 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

Hi my friends,

I am very upset with DJI because when u edit the video with the official APP it loses quality to 720 instead of 1080 when u download it to the device (iPad in my case). The way of editing (it does authomatic edition when quickshot is made) its quite amazing, I really like it, and I cannot imitate it in other software or Apps (I dont find the exact management of the speed as DJI app does) but it really pieces me off the fact that it reduces the quaility and u can't download it edited with original quality. For me its a big problem.

I show same video, first original quality with no edition, and the 2nd after authomatic edition.

More over, I have contacted the customer service and the answeres they are giving me my email are a complete sh..it, and this is peace me off much more. Until the point of thinking to return the dron because of the service.
Look the answers, i literally copy and paste them here

Answer 1: The reason why that you are loosing the quality of your video on your mobile device is because, this video is in 4k file and not all  device can play 4k videos.
What?? Are they serious? SPARK DOESN'T RECORD IN 4K, and if it would, the answer is unreal. WTF

Answer 2: Upon checking with our relevant department, please try to install a different video player like VLC on your device and check if you still have the same issue.

Answer 3: Upon checking with our relevant department that you now need to send your drone for repair. Please see below in how you can file your online repair.

How can this answers be even real? They are a customer service and trying to solve this issue sendming this sh..it as anwer. I cannot believe.

Well, what do u think about all of this?

Thanks a lot!
Marcos.
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

sorry, i dont know why the video has been shown twice each
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 02:55
sorry, i dont know why the video has been shown twice each

You can as I said before, just connect sd card to computer, you will then have full quality.

Even those who spend €7000.00 are faced with the same problems, if your looking for dji to have an app as good as Final Cut Pro editing software, you are not going to get it with a €500 euro drone, and you can look at other drones similar on the market you are just not going to get it.

If you are this conscious about your footage then you should invest in proper editing software.
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 03:51
You can as I said before, just connect sd card to computer, you will then have full quality.

Even those who spend €7000.00 are faced with the same problems, if your looking for dji to have an app as good as Final Cut Pro editing software, you are not going to get it with a €500 euro drone, and you can look at other drones similar on the market you are just not going to get it.

Is not about that.

I much more simple, why if the APP edit authomaticly in a very nice way, is not able to mantain the original quality when u download the video? It has no sense, and seems to me a very easy feature to solve
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 03:51

I think u are not understanding at all the issue.

U can have the original videos in high quality, both downloading through the app and also introducing SD card in the laptop, it is exactly the same.

BUT, when the is been edited by the DJI APP (your edition or authomatic edition in the quickshots) automathicly decreases to 720 quality and there is nothing u can do about it.

NO SENSE
2017-6-24
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

@marcloig  You do realize that the Spark is marketed as a "Story Telling" (i.e. entry level) device.  Hence if you're expecting any real type of video/picture quality or advanced features then you bought the wrong device.  As @Hallmark007 stated, "if you're concerned about your footage then get editing software".  DaVinci offers a free download version for PC or Mac
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-24 04:02
@marcloig  You do realize that the Spark is marketed as a "Story Telling" (i.e. entry level) device.  Hence if you're expecting any real type of video/picture quality or advanced features then you bought the wrong device.  As @Hallmark007 stated, "if you're concerned about your footage then get editing software".  DaVinci offers a free download version for PC or Mac

i think u are not understanding the point.

SPARK offers 1080 quality which for me is more than enough.

U don edit the videos with the APP, then is perfect. The APP makes a nice edition but then it DECREASES TO 720. WHY???? which is the sense of that? if it has already the video in 1080, why if u make a very small edition u cannot keep the quality

i really like how it changes the speed automathicly, the effect its so nice. why it should not be able to keep just the original quality?

NO SENSE AT ALL
2017-6-24
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

It's simple as I think of it... The automated videos are from buffer . If the app had to download to device the original files it would take hours for download any minutes to edit . The drone flyers 10 minutes , there is no time to download oryginał to phone. BUT! Why The DJI APP CANT edit original files with an output of 1080p I don't know..
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

Szwedu Posted at 2017-6-24 06:11
It's simple as I think of it... The automated videos are from buffer . If the app had to download to device the original files it would take hours for download any minutes to edit . The drone flyers 10 minutes , there is no time to download oryginał to phone. BUT! Why The DJI APP CANT edit original files with an output of 1080p I don't know..

"BUT! Why The DJI APP CANT edit original files with an output of 1080p I don't know.."

thats the question my friend!
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 07:26
"BUT! Why The DJI APP CANT edit original files with an output of 1080p I don't know.."

Because dji make and sell drones not software editing when you buy a cannon camera for €1200 you don't get editing software.
You need to be realistic about what you've purchased, it's a €500 drone with a small camera, if you are happy with the footage on your sd card then it has done its job.
You will also loose considerable quality uploading to you tube which is what you have done. In order to show your video on you tube you need to take from sd card and upload the highest quality possible to you tube, also I think your video would be much improved with a filter.
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 07:45
Because dji make and sell drones not software editing when you buy a cannon camera for €1200 you don't get editing software.
You need to be realistic about what you've purchased, it's a €500 drone with a small camera, if you are happy with the footage on your sd card then it has done its job.
You will also loose considerable quality uploading to you tube which is what you have done. In order to show your video on you tube you need to take from sd card and upload the highest quality possible to you tube, also I think your video would be much improved with a filter.

u are not getting the point yet

the software do edit properly the videos automathicly (specially the timing). u can download it from the app to the device if the drone is on in high quality, no problem with that. the problem comes when u edit the video automathicly convers to 720p quality when in fact, the real quality of the video is 1080.

i mean, u just add music from app and nothing else and the video automathicly becomes to 720 when in reality is 1080. WHY????? NO SENSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 08:04
u are not getting the point yet

the software do edit properly the videos automathicly (specially the timing). u can download it from the app to the device if the drone is on in high quality, no problem with that. the problem comes when u edit the video automathicly convers to 720p quality when in fact, the real quality of the video is 1080.

I do understand it's exactly the same for MATRICE Phantom inspire and Mavic . It is what it is , and hopefully someday they might improve this, but for now your stuck with this.
Unfortunately the app is not set up to cope with editing anything higher than 720p.

So if your looking for better quality for viewing by third parties, you will need to get some other editing software, there are some free ones as someone mentioned da Vinci is one.

One thing I do know out putting 1080 30fps is a heck of a lot slower than 720p so obviously this is all the app is capable of.
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 03:57
I think u are not understanding at all the issue.

U can have the original videos in high quality, both downloading through the app and also introducing SD card in the laptop, it is exactly the same.

Hey Marcloig, have you seen this tutorial, you may have already seen it. I can understand your confusion with dji support , they are really ill informed, so not the best to get information from.

2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 08:30
Hey Marcloig, have you seen this tutorial, you may have already seen it. I can understand your confusion with dji support , they are really ill informed, so not the best to get information from.

https://youtu.be/abQw8rwlxbY

yeah, its very nice what u are talking in the video.. but which is this app??

is not the same i am using to manage the dji spark for sure. which one is it?

thanks!
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 11:59
yeah, its very nice what u are talking in the video.. but which is this app??

is not the same i am using to manage the dji spark for sure. which one is it?

It should be, I'm using iOS , so I go to a video clip click on it and in bottom right hand corner is little blue button, I think it's called free eye, in there you will ind all the goodies.
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

Im using iPad and is not the same for sure.

The bottom "create HD video" it doesnt exist (min 2:10 in the video).

do u have it?
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

the app isnt the same as the video one 1000%.

i check it thousand times. its impossible to download edited videos in 1080, just 720
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 12:07
Im using iPad and is not the same for sure.

The bottom "create HD video" it doesnt exist (min 2:10 in the video).

You need to connect your spark to iPad and your spark needs to be turned on then you will get HD button, but I'm still sure if it will be 1080p.
I haven't tried it if I get a chance next week I will try.
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 14:05
You need to connect your spark to iPad and your spark needs to be turned on then you will get HD button, but I'm still sure if it will be 1080p.
I haven't tried it if I get a chance next week I will try.

i always manage the videos with my iPad coneccted to spark, and this is impossible if its not turned on, so.. maybe is not the same app, but im almost sure that there is no other app..

my conclusion, spark doesnt support work with 1080 quality
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 14:47
i always manage the videos with my iPad coneccted to spark, and this is impossible if its not turned on, so.. maybe is not the same app, but im almost sure that there is no other app..

my conclusion, spark doesnt support work with 1080 quality

I think you mean the app doesn't support 1080p. Not spark or your sd card.
2017-6-24
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-24 14:54
I think you mean the app doesn't support 1080p. Not spark or your sd card.

yeah. that's what i mean
2017-6-25
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

up                                             
2017-6-27
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

I am testing a greath app from GoPro , qiuk. It's free , output is 1080 , and now it's got more features like slow motion.
BTW. If we go to the competition (GoPro) meaby they (DJI) will think thru this 720p outpoot
2017-6-27
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

Szwedu Posted at 2017-6-27 21:34
I am testing a greath app from GoPro , qiuk. It's free , output is 1080 , and now it's got more features like slow motion.
BTW. If we go to the competition (GoPro) meaby they (DJI) will think thru this 720p outpoot

I do have quik app, but it doesnt do the auto edit as DJI app which is amazing except for the quality.

anyway, they have answered me this

Hi Marcos,

Thank you for the prompt response,

With this, We verified this with our FAE (Field Application Expert) department, we have already raised this concern and they are currently addressing the issue to be resolve the soonest time possible for this issue. They are going to release an update to fix this soon.

For now, we advise not to uninstall your DJI Go App, then power cycle your mobile phone and put your mobile device to airplane mode, then try if the issue would persists. Hope for your understanding regarding this matter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DJI Europe Support, Mon-Fri 8:30AM - 5:00PM (UTC+1) via the following three channels:
Tel Support: +31 20 654 5202
Email: support.nl@dji.com
Online Support: http://www.dji.com/support#after

Thank you for choosing DJI

its a begining?
2017-6-28
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-28 08:15
I do have quik app, but it doesnt do the auto edit as DJI app which is amazing except for the quality.

Good work, we've all wondered what you have had to restate a few times...should be no downgrading, "in the field" if you want to share your videos.  Should all be 1080...all the time.  I'll follow this post and hope that soon an update will occur.  There is a, "feedback wanted" thread on this forum and an e-mail address for "beta issues" although no one is sure if we are the beta now, or the beta being, "Spark 2" in the future...

Thanks for sticking with this!
2017-6-28
Use props
marcloig
lvl.2
Spain

Cravenfan Posted at 2017-6-28 08:48
Good work, we've all wondered what you have had to restate a few times...should be no downgrading, "in the field" if you want to share your videos.  Should all be 1080...all the time.  I'll follow this post and hope that soon an update will occur.  There is a, "feedback wanted" thread on this forum and an e-mail address for "beta issues" although no one is sure if we are the beta now, or the beta being, "Spark 2" in the future...

Thanks for sticking with this!

thanks mate
2017-6-29
Use props
fansc2cc59ba
New
Flight distance : 197395 ft
Ireland

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-28 08:15

Well done!, same issue for me. Amazing footage automatically made with the DJI app, but then the quality is pretty bad.
2017-7-31
Use props
bobki
New
Flight distance : 787 ft
Netherlands

@marcloig,
On my android device i seem to
2017-8-30
Use props
bobki
New
United Kingdom

@marcloig,
On my android device i seem to be getting 3 vesions of a quickshot file (providing I downloaded the Original version from the drone using the app):

Full lenght version in 1080p - "DJI Album" folder -
Short version with the faster video/time lapse effect in 1080p - also in "DJI Album" folder - This has no sound and can sometimes be 2 or 3 seconds longer than the version with music
Short version with the faster video/time lapse effect in 720p - this is the low res version with music that you are referring to - found locally in "video editor/production" folder

Of course there is also the streamed version in "DJI Record" folder, but thats not important here.

I think the second file is what you are after, right? It has the effects and its 1080p, but has no music...

Are you seeing the same on your device?
2017-8-30
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Why would anyone want to seriously edit a video on a smartphone? Given the option is great for quick fun but when I want to edit great quality footage a phone is way to limited and not powerful enough anyways.
2017-8-30
Use props
bobki
New
United Kingdom

@Rawsome,

I don't know what equipment you use but let me explain:

The quickshot feature on the Spark in a pre-programmed flight patch. You just select your object and press "Go". However the feature is combined with a little auto editing done by the DJI Go app. This auto edited footage ultimately the completed quickshot process.

So we are not really talking about editing here but rather getting the result of the quickshoot in full quality. But from what I found, we do actually get this - its the second file I mentioned in my post.

Hope this makes sense but if not, I am happy to explain further.
2017-8-30
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-24 03:56
Is not about that.

I much more simple, why if the APP edit authomaticly in a very nice way, is not able to mantain the original quality when u download the video? It has no sense, and seems to me a very easy feature to solve

if you download the original files to your device, you can then select the videos again and have the app create an auto-edit using the original files.  the automatic edit that the app makes for each days videos just uses the video that was recorded in the phone's cache.  when you do a quickshot it uses the original files.  
2017-8-30
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

bobki Posted at 2017-8-30 06:44
@Rawsome,

I don't know what equipment you use but let me explain:

Ah I see, sorry must have misread.
2017-8-30
Use props
Benkoko
lvl.1
France

bobki Posted at 2017-8-30 04:36
@marcloig,
On my android device i seem to be getting 3 vesions of a quickshot file (providing I downloaded the Original version from the drone using the app):

I had the same issue, wanted to have a 1080p version of my quickshots and was disappointed by the quality output.

I recorded few quickshots last weekend, I will check if I have it on my DJI Album folder.
2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules