12Next >
1801 42 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I am assuming I am unable to open the new firm ware file for my P3S which I downloaded onto my computer , due to not having a un zip program.
What UnZip Program should I download on my Windows 7 which is easy and  would enable me to un zip the new firm ware file
Thanks
Clint

2017-6-24
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

What is the file extension of your firmware file?  If it is .bin, then all you do is put it in the root directory of the SD card that goes into the camera.    The file should be around 103 MB.
2017-6-24
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

No need to unzip that file. I have it as backup on the pc .
2017-6-24
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Oh, so all I have to do is download the new FW file from dji and then just drop it onto the SD card from the my P3S and that's it
2017-6-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Yes .....
2017-6-25
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

ok, thanks you guys this is all very confusing to me . lol
2017-6-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-6-25 08:00

FYI, Windows has a built in unzipper.  Click on any zip file and you will see.
2017-6-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

2017-6-25
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-6-25 18:17

Hey kneepuck,
When I click on the only zip file I have is the FW 1..9.20 update, another window comes up up and says what program do you want to use to open program and to use my computer or internet. if I click on my computer there is no unzip program available. if I click on internet , it wants to start downloading windows 10 ????????????.
confused again
2017-6-25
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

WD9EON Posted at 2017-6-24 22:57
What is the file extension of your firmware file?  If it is .bin, then all you do is put it in the root directory of the SD card that goes into the camera.    The file should be around 103 MB.

Yes  when I right click on it and click properties it says its a bin file

P3C_FW_V01.09.0200.bin

and is 103 mb  
2017-6-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-6-25 19:45
Hey kneepuck,
When I click on the only zip file I have is the FW 1..9.20 update, another window comes up up and says what program do you want to use to open program and to use my computer or internet. if I click on my computer there is no unzip program available. if I click on internet , it wants to start downloading windows 10 ????????????.
confused again

If you right click on any filename on your desktop then left click on "send to" is one of the choices " Compressed (zipped) folder" or similar?
2017-6-26
Use props
fans88f66376
lvl.1
United States

What version update are you talking about and where do you get it. If I look on the dji website I don't see any downloads and my app isn't showing or saying I need an update.
2017-6-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-6-26 00:31
If you right click on any filename on your desktop then left click on "send to" is one of the choices " Compressed (zipped) folder" or similar?

Kneepuck ... will you please stop confusing people.

The FW file does NOT need any unzip / uncompress routine and in fact will be unworkable if anyone did.

The .bin file is designed as with all other FW of chargers, radios etc. to be used as is ... as a bin file.

Nigel
2017-6-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

fans88f66376 Posted at 2017-6-26 03:26
What version update are you talking about and where do you get it. If I look on the dji website I don't see any downloads and my app isn't showing or saying I need an update.

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _FW_V01.09.0200.bin
2017-6-26
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-26 03:49
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/P3C_FW_V01.09.0200.bin

Why oh Why does everyone want to download the app to install?   I've used the Go app every time and have never had an issue with the updates.  

Install the update from the app as DJI says to do.  Much simpler and in my opinion is the way to go.  Follow the on screen instructions and you should have no problems with the update.
2017-6-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

WD9EON Posted at 2017-6-26 07:11
Why oh Why does everyone want to download the app to install?   I've used the Go app every time and have never had an issue with the updates.  

Install the update from the app as DJI says to do.  Much simpler and in my opinion is the way to go.  Follow the on screen instructions and you should have no problems with the update.

If you read all the details - you will find that this is answered in various same threads all over the internet ...

Some do not get the information come through GO ... I for one usually do not receive notification of upgrade on FW through GO.  Not sure why - maybe its to do with the countries Internet services ...

It then leads to the alternative method of manual download and transfer to SD card.

Second a lot of the posts about downloading and using the SD card is based on failed updates.

Third - in fact even though you have updated FW through GO notification - the actual update was eventually done same way - your download via GO was from home WiFi, then you connected to Phantom WiFi - which then Go proceeded to copy the FW file to the SD card ... which the SD card then conducted the update.

So actually the only difference was the download route.

OK ?

Nigel   
2017-6-26
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-26 08:31
If you read all the details - you will find that this is answered in various same threads all over the internet ...

Some do not get the information come through GO ... I for one usually do not receive notification of upgrade on FW through GO.  Not sure why - maybe its to do with the countries Internet services ...

Not a problem for me, just don't see the need to reinvent the wheel.  If it fails the first time, just start over.
2017-6-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

WD9EON Posted at 2017-6-26 10:21
Not a problem for me, just don't see the need to reinvent the wheel.  If it fails the first time, just start over.

Did you miss the bit ............

"Some do not get the information come through GO ... I for one usually do not receive notification of upgrade on FW through GO.  Not sure why - maybe its to do with the countries Internet services ..."

I didn't get my P3 yesterday .... and as I say - I think I only ever had one notification via GO ..... and in fact that was only to revert my Beta version to the authorised version.

This latest version - I never had notification either - but I know that some others did. I left my tablet purposely on to try and get it all day before I reverted to my usual manual download.

WD9EON - you are lucky that you get notification - not everyone does.

Nigel
2017-6-26
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

And I say, if you don't get the notification and you are not having an issue with the FW you are using, just ignore the upgrade.  From what I've seen few improvements by upgrading, but if they show up, I just do it.
Not looking for the updates solves a lot of problems.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Not looking for an argument, just stating facts as I see them.  Good day sir.
2017-6-26
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

I would like to thank EVERY ONE for their points of view, THANKS! Each of u should be on the dji payroll because if it wasn't for u, many of us would have just given up with the type of information supplied by dji for example the last FW update on P3S, improper download link, improper unit show and to say the least when u find the video on the download.... Very poorly done... My hats off to all of you for helping us out with out DJI PHANTOMS!!
2017-6-26
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

That's "with OUR DJI.."
2017-6-26
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

just download the file it should work fine.
2017-6-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Have you already done a firmware update on your drone before?

RedHotPoker
2017-6-26
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Only the initial set up when I received the drone in April, does that count (did not download via the computer, just used Sony Xperia).
2017-6-26
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Ok, I tried on last time to do the download on my computer to the AC SD card.
Well, when I dragged the new FW to the SDcard, I got this "the disk is write-protected remove the write-protection or use another disk". I personally think my computer just hates me. Lol
2017-6-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-6-26 20:19
Well, when I dragged the new FW to the SDcard, I got this "the disk is write-protected remove the write-protection or use another disk". I personally think my computer just hates me. Lol

Are you using a an adaptor card ... looks like a normal large SD card with slot for the micro card ? Into an SD card slot ?

Older PC's were fine with these - but my later PC's all lock that item and only READ from the card in the slot.
What is needed is a proper card reader to a USB port. That way you can then read / write.

Its a real pain and I have tried all sorts of actions to change the slot to full access / write mode. But no joy.

If you cannot fix it on the PC ... then get a USB to mini cable and connect PC to the USB on the gimbal .. copy the file across that way. Its slow but works. Remove cable when file is across .. restart and it should install.

Nigel
2017-6-27
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-27 01:39
Are you using a an adaptor card ... looks like a normal large SD card with slot for the micro card ? Into an SD card slot ?

Older PC's were fine with these - but my later PC's all lock that item and only READ from the card in the slot.

Yup you hit the nail on the head  Nigel !

I am using a Sandisk (flat)  Adapter which I put the  AC micro sdcard into it and then slide into my computer.
I am going to buy a "card reader to USB port " and see if it will correct my problem.

Again , Thanks !
Clint
2017-6-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

SD slots on computers were great ... my little Acer1 will read / write to it ... magic.

But my new Lenovo and Acer are Read only ... I even asked the local guru who just about fixes every computer thing imaginable said - forget it Nigel ... get a reader !!

To be honest the slots are not that good anyway - why they cannot design a slot with a proper guide to make sure card goes in level and straight ??

Card readers ... I have a number of the 5in1 versions as well as the SIM card / Micro readers ...

Nigel
2017-6-27
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-6-26 20:19

Does your adapter card have a slide switch on the side?  Maybe it is locked?  Just a thought
2017-6-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

WD9EON Posted at 2017-6-27 10:13
Does your adapter card have a slide switch on the side?  Maybe it is locked?  Just a thought

Many Notebook computers with SD slot - makes no difference now. That lock tab is only actioned when using a reader or similar now.
I think its a bad move on PC's to lock out the slot to only read.

Nigel
2017-6-27
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-27 10:25
Many Notebook computers with SD slot - makes no difference now. That lock tab is only actioned when using a reader or similar now.

I have an Android 10 tablet that is read only on the sd card.  
2017-6-27
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-26 03:50
Kneepuck ... will you please stop confusing people.

The FW file does NOT need any unzip / uncompress routine and in fact will be unworkable if anyone did.

Not trying to confuse anyone, though you are apparently easily confused. My conversation with the op was about an unzip program which is built into windows.  At no time did I suggest it to be used for any other purpose.  And never did I imply that the firmware update was other than a bin file.  Stop trolling, lose the attitude.
2017-6-27
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-27 10:25

Hi Nigel,
I went and bought a card reader and I was able to drag and drop the FW ...... Hurrray !

So I  put the sdcard into the AC after the drag and drop and it started to updated, after 20 min it was done .
I took the sdcard out and put it back in the sdcard reader on my computer and this is what I saw so I take it was successful ( OR WAS IT , from the details below ???)

P3C FW RESULT.AB - NOTEPAD

===========2017.02.15  09:56:12 ====================
Packet: P3C_FW_99.99.9999.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.
===========2017.02.19 10:26:31=======================
Packet: P3C_FW_99.99.9999.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.
===========2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnected====
Packet P3C_FW_V01.09.0200.bin
Skipped P3C_FW_V99. 99.9999.bin
Upgrading ....
Result Success

#2)
I think I was suppose to update the controller but how do I do that ? The dji video , shows a controller that has a USB port but mine does not have one ????  so I cant attach a cable from the aircraft  to the controller nor attach the USB cardreader .

At this point until I have some information about the above I have turned my AC off and taken the battery off and put it away ....... Hope this didn't screw something up in the process.

Nigel your help with the above would be appreciated.

Thanks
Clint
PS Whats with the =======2014.01.01 00:00;13 , is that suppose to be the date I did the update, it wasnt it was 2017.06.27 ?????
2017-6-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The controller updates automatically ....

Switch on RC ... make sure card is in AC .... switch on AC .... it will all sort itself .... even if battery needs update ... as long as the FW bin file is on the card - that's fine.

I don't agree with some that RC should be off when updating till after AC is done ... I have both RC and AC on when using the card method ... which is same as if you did it via GO ....

The date is a quirk .... dont worry about it.

Here's a thing ... leave the FW bin file on the card ... after a few flights - look at it again and you will see the txt file has addeded more lines where it says that FW unnecessary and aborted. This is where it automatically checks all items on start up to make sure all up to date.

Nigel
2017-6-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-6-27 15:14
Not trying to confuse anyone, though you are apparently easily confused. My conversation with the op was about an unzip program which is built into windows.  At no time did I suggest it to be used for any other purpose.  And never did I imply that the firmware update was other than a bin file.  Stop trolling, lose the attitude.

Oh dear ....
Given that OP had already been corrected that unzipping a bin file was unnecessary - it was pointless to then talk about where / how to unzip.  As to my confused - are you serious ?

Being one of the guys who provided the solution and stayed relevant to OP's needs - its you that needs to step back and consider.

Attitude ! Thats a laugh....

Nigel
2017-6-27
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Hi Nigel, thanks to you looks like the download worked. Haven't been out because I want to put some crack guards on first.
I turned the RC and then the AC on like u suggested with the SDcard in the AC, no beeps were heard, just the lights on the AC flashing and finally flashers green. So I take it it's ok? I also looked on the AC about file (in the GOAPP) and noticed the APP 3.1.6 and Version 1.9.20 and at the beginning of the GOAPP is no longer asks me to update with the red bar.. So looks successful!
NOW #2)
Can go from beginner to advanced and change the settings.. I logged out and back into go app ( 2 or so min later) but still couldn't change??????
Thanks again Bud!
Clint
2017-6-29
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

That's CAN'T GO FROM BEGINNER TO....  
2017-6-29
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Scratch that looks like it just took time, I am now able to switch to advanced and change the settings.
Again A HUGH THANK YOU to all of u and especially NIGEL!!! PS : won't be able to do a test flight for a couple of weeks, going to be away fishing Halibut and Salmon. The whole reason I bought the P3S was to get action shots on the boat, don't feel comfortable enough this trip but it will be soon... Thanks
Clint
2017-6-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-27 22:59
Oh dear ....
Given that OP had already been corrected that unzipping a bin file was unnecessary - it was pointless to then talk about where / how to unzip.  As to my confused - are you serious ?

Get over yourself. So you helped another user. Good for you.  Have an m&m.  I was trying to inform the user that he has a zip and unzip program that is built into  Windows that he can use on any zip files he wants to unzip.  I must have missed the memo that said that you were the one who got to decide who gets to post what.  As I said, lose the attitude.
2017-7-2
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The FW_xx:xx.bin is no archive file,it´s an image file likes amn iso or cue file on a CD or DVD but designed to use on a SD card memory stick or other flash memory.
2017-7-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules