Thinking about buying an Inspire... Thoughts?
2297 29 2015-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I think my OCD is kicking in... I already have 5 phantoms and now I'm seriously thinking about purchasing an Inspire...

I fly them only for recreation and Im not really into photography but I really want one!!!

Anyone thinking about getting an Inspire? Has anyone purchased one and how does it compare to the P2V+?

The only other possibility is to wait for the Hubsan X4 pro or Skyprowler to come out and then decide between the three...  I really should wait... I wish these drones wernt so addictive!!!!

2015-3-16
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Honestly, I have flown a Hubsan X4  for a while now and I love it.  A lot of fun.  A month ago I got the bug for a Phantom and I now have a full kit.  I watched a video of the Inspire today and I immediately began calculating how long it would take to save to buy one.  It was when I realized I have more than enough available credit to buy one right now that I had to immediately put the thought out of my head.  

I am now waiting for a charge to complete so I can go fly my Phantom.
2015-3-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Have definitely thought about it..my brother just received his and has yet to make his maiden voyage, he owns two P2's as well that worked great until he decided to joust with them..DOH!
Will wait for his feedback once he has a few flights under his belt for sure.
2015-3-16
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-17 03:06
Honestly, I have flown a Hubsan X4  for a while now and I love it.  A lot of fun.  A month ago I got ...

I know what you mean. I have the money and can buy it although the thought of $3,000 crashing or flying away is scary. I'm not wealthy. I guess that is why I bought 5 phantoms to spread out the risk and potential loss..

I like the features on the Hubsan that are not available on the Inspire like...

1) Doesnt appear to have the retarded 15.5 mile washington dc no fly zone.

2) Has a ground station that allows the pilot to take control of the flight and then resume ground station flight. Inspire doesnt have ground station and V+ doesnt allow ground station to be manually taken over and then resumed.

3) Has a Parachute which is a nice little safety feature especially after going through all of the esc/wire issue worries on the P2V+ version 3.

4) Claims flight times of 30 minutes with camera and gimble and doesnt use an intelligent battery which hopefully means the battery will be cheaper.
5) Claims reliable 1000 meter video connection range. The controller also looks cool . It will be interesting if the battery and video range claims live up to the specs.

Im hoping DJI responds to the Hubsan X4 pro with a new model or revised phantom with additional features.... Still nothing beats how cool the Inspire looks especially when taking off and landing... Right out of star wars...
2015-3-16
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I think between the Hubsan and the Inspire - the Inspire is definitely a step up from a Phantom where I see the Hubsan as a parallel or alternative move from a Phantom.
2015-3-16
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-17 03:30
I think between the Hubsan and the Inspire - the Inspire is definitely a step up from a Phantom wher ...

True... The Hubsan does  look a lot like the Phantom vision plus. I also like the fact that the Hubsan will be coming out with different color options. I like the look of the black and gold model.

I'll probably end up getting an Inspire and still keep my 5 phantoms. I still have my 3 AR Drones 1.0 although I should really sell them as I never fly them anymore. Now I can see why my wife left me. If I told you all the various electronic and video and audio equipment I own you would think I'm nuts...
2015-3-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't imagine why anyone would want one unless they are really into video. It's like saying I really want that RED video camera (50K) but I don't like taking and editing video....
http://www.red.com/store/product ... agnesium-lens-mount

Of course, if your intention is to be parted with your money and credit faster and faster, that's another story...

The Inspire is a great machine - nothing like it on the market in it's price range (even out of it's price range). But what makes it so great is the ability to have a separate camera operator...and the better camera it has.

Here's a quick rundown on who may want one:
http://www.droneflyers.com/2015/ ... opter-introduction/

Of course, we all make buying decisions that have nothing to do with reality....lots of people buy cars that cost 2 or 3X what another car does (that does the same job) .

I think the Inspire a brush that you use to create art. The Art is video...mostly.
2015-3-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-17 04:56
I can't imagine why anyone would want one unless they are really into video. It's like saying I real ...

Ever funnier, think of those that buy high end luxury cars that live in a major downtown core apt. building/condo etc. that virtually never get out on the open road to really enjoy them...Pretty expensive status symbol, but hey..it's America, live the dream if you can afford it and the spend does not affect the real priorities...
I am happy with my P2V+, meeting all my expectations..The video could be a bit better and I know how to upgrade that portion if I need to...Now, going out to my shop to rake my bicycle cause I really want a chopper...NOT!
2015-3-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd also caution the "6 month rule" for most buyers - that is, wait until 6 months from the actual shipped date to purchase. The reasoning is simple - that's enough time for lots of the firmware and other tweaks to make it more reliable.

I'll probably pick up one this summer to review - but I'm not sure I will keep it. I know how to edit video and tell stories, but I have to wonder if I'm too lazy to put together much more than the initial review. It takes a lot of time and effort to put together something which people like to look at....I still somewhat prefer still photography for that reason. If I want really good still photos, I'd invest in a regular P2 and hang a Ricoh GR from it along with FPV for photo framing and maybe a tilt. This would result in still photos which are vastly better than the Inspire can take - total price would be under 2K to put the rig together.

Then again - if the FAA loosens up and I decide to do some photos for hire...that's another story!
2015-3-16
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I am just waiting for the price to come down then she's mine.
2015-3-16
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I got mine 6 days ago and now I have 14 flights with it. It is a huge stepup from the Phantom 3 Vision + (Which I LOVE ). It is much faster and much more responsive - until now mine has been rock solid and stable.
IMG_2764.jpg
2015-3-16
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

Yes good points everyone has brought up. I really should wait for all of the above reasons. Btw I just came in from flying my p2v+ and got 16:17 flight time with 25% battery remaining on the lime fuel 6000 mah battery!! I also got it out to 1400 feet away and 280 feet high without dropping video connection although it was very laggy and choppy and appeared to freeze at one point!!! I also got control signal lost twice which was weird but I never lost control of phantom. I was using the fpv booster and camera app...

I think it would be fun to send two p2v+ flying fast on ground station and send the inspire up in the air trailing them and filming...that would really be cool. If I get the inspire I might get the courage to try that one day
2015-3-16
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-3-17 06:52
I got mine 6 days ago and now I have 14 flights with it. It is a huge stepup from the Phantom 3 Visi ...

Wow sweet picture!! You shouldn't have done that!! Now I feel like getting one again!! All my friends and coworkers think I'm nuts and are trying to talk me out of it. If I do get it I'll post a picture of all six together in formation on the ground of course.  It will be like Star Wars having an inspire battle cruiser surrounded by phantom tie fighters!!
2015-3-16
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

I got mine 6 days ago and now I have 14 flights with it. It is a huge stepup from the Phantom 3 Visi ...

Btw what are your flight times with battery remaining? Someone on the inspire forum told me they were getting 15-16 mins with 20% battery remaining with the stock battery. Other people have told me 12-13 minutes but didn't state how much battery was remaining. If I get it I'm going to buy the more powerful battery as a spare.
Also how fast have you gotten your inspire 1? I've had my p2v+ up to 44mph in atti mode. My phantom one feels faster however I don't have telemetry data to confirm the speed.
2015-3-16
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

China

Portability is an issue for me. My phantom is in a DJI backpack, always ready to go with me on a walk in the park, a bike ride through the forest, a car ride to the river bank ....
2015-3-16
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Why not go to the Electronics show in Vegas when it come along again? They will likely all be there.
2015-3-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Awe...Family Pict, sort of..is that little one your dog?
2015-3-16
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-17 10:21

Something like mine, but I can't get the little ones to stay still long enough to get a pic.
2015-3-16
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

rdc4444@hotmail Posted at 2015-3-17 07:13
Btw what are your flight times with battery remaining? Someone on the inspire forum told me they we ...

Hello

As I said I have not had the Inspire for long and though I think I can handel it pretty well I will take it a bit easy so any speed reached I can not tell.
I have 20 min flight time with 20 % battery remaining ( the 5700 mah battery ). I have longest distance reached 941 m - I could have gone further - no loss of signals.
As for videos and images - for now my skills is not to good - I am practicing every day but have a LOT to learn.
2015-3-16
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-17 10:21

No that is not my dog - but my most important traning drone - The Hubsan X 4

But if you do want to se my dog - here it is :
Glassplate 15895.jpg
2015-3-16
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

rdc4444@hotmail Posted at 2015-3-17 07:08
Wow sweet picture!! You shouldn't have done that!! Now I feel like getting one again!! All my frie ...

Just do it - you will not regret it.
2015-3-16
Use props
lakecreekranch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi rdc44444, I have a Phantom 1.1.1, a Phantom 2 and a Phantom 2-V2 and I received my Inspire 1 on Feb. 13th direct from DJI...  I have been flying the Phantoms in an attempt to be ready for flying the Inspire...  My wife and I are retired and both very much into photography and videography...  We opted for the dual controllers so that my wife could be operating the camera and taking the pictures and I could be flying...  We are having a second FPV camera installed for the pilot to always have a view from his/her rc...  I have yet to fly the Inspire due to reading so many issues with the latest "17" firmware upgrade being reported on the forum...  I haven't installed my upgrade yet but when DSLRpros in Florida install the second camera they will upgrade the firmware. I am dying to fly the Inspire but I have $4K tied up in it so far and don't want to throw it away via a crash or flyaway...  I am still attempting to get proficient with the Phantoms but currently still having issues with the Phantom 2 plus we live in a canyon in the Idaho mountains and rarely are able to get a GPS lock so I am usually flying ATTI which the Inspire is supposed to be better at doing. So when I get it back with the FPV upgrade I hope to have the nerve to take her out and fly it ;-) So bottom line, I am glad that I purchased the Inspire and can't wait to fly it but I wish I had waited until all of the firmware bugs and other issues were resolved.
2015-3-17
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I love the Inspire and will probably get one eventually. I'm going to wait and just be happy flying my Phantoms..  Posts like the one above and threads like these have me a little concerned so no point in rushing as they work out all of the bugs..

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5763&lang=en

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

2015-3-17
Use props
gdehandtschutte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

I own 2 phantom visions. One I crashed very shortly after I'd bought it. Completely my own fault. No regrets because since then I've been flying it without the camera (which was totall loss after the crash). It's my favourite toy because  beside the camera and gimbal not much can break. So you can fly totaly relaxed. No need to worry about crashed or fly aways.
Nevertheless  I wanted better and ordered an Inspire in December.  Couldn't wait.
But reading on the Inspire forum all about the problems I cancelled my order. When I look at it now it was the best thing  I could have done.
It's a lot of money for a bird that, let's be honest,  is gonna crash sooner or later. But what worries me the most is what's going to happen when governements around the globe set new rules for flying drones ? I mean what if it becomes forbidden ? So much money just sitting there on my desk ?! I don't think so. I am very happy with my 2 Phantoms. Maybe, I buy myself an Yuneec Q500. For the price of a Phantom it's a much better deal than the Inspire 1 I think. And perhaps far, far from now, when the dust has settled I buy an Inspire 2
2015-3-17
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was shot with a Phantom and a GoPro, FYI.  Not by me...
2015-3-17
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

gdehandtschutte Posted at 2015-3-18 00:59
I own 2 phantom visions. One I crashed very shortly after I'd bought it. Completely my own fault. No ...

I can not argue against your statements - for you it is right. I know a lot of people thinking like you. But I have a different way of thinking. I think I live only once and for me it implies to take some calculated risks. I will crash some day - ( actually I have had a lot of crashes in my life ) - hopefully that crash will not be today. It will come better FW some day , but all things that goes up will eventually come down and there will never be a perfect Inspire xxxx. Today you can get a awesome Inspire and a lot of fun. I am following different forums to learn - BUT be aware - the stories on the forums is probably right - but I also think that it is a tendency to write about problems rather than about how good things work.
Yes I know it also is a cost issue to this so it of course is up to you whether to buy or not.
I bought - and for now I am very happy I did.
If you are thinking of buying, my personal advice will be to buy today - don't wait for the perfect tomorrow - It for sure will never come
2015-3-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I'm thinking of doing some mods on one of mine to work like this one.
158_u7sBYymPaL6trUpIyFJ9A3vGD73BXVu3.png
2015-3-17
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-3-18
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-3-18 18:04
You people need therapy! These dastardly drones are dangerous and expensive. You only get them so yo ...

How about the P2V+ with 8 motors swinging 12 inch props?
2015-3-18
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules