App Disconnected, Can't Reconnect (Android)
1714 6 2017-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa1135964
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Guys -
   I'm a brand new Mavic owner, trying to learn the ropes.  I was looking for a new hobby, and have been doing homework on this ever since the Mavic was announced.  I've watched all the videos I can find, read the manual several times, etc...and it finally landed in my home yesterday.  Unfortunately at the moment I'm dead without even taking a first flight.

The first thing I did was update the firmware for the controller and bird via DJI Assistant 2.   That all seemed to go perfectly - albeit with a lot of different flashing light patterns and Mavic reboots.   I'm now on the latest firmware.   I figured I'd spend some time learning the interface before ever trying to fly, so I put it on the floor and tried connecting via wifi with my Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4.   After lots of back and forth and disconnects, I finally got it connected.  Unfortuantely, the DJI Go app kept freezing and restarting...so I gave up and figured I'd try my phone.  Unfortunately, during the registration I chose 5G WIFI, so my phone wouldn't find it (Moto G3).   I found the link button and held it for 5S to reset the WIFI, and that did the trick.  I got my phone connected and played around a little with the camera.   

Next I tried the wired mode - Galaxy TabPRO tablet wired to the RC.  Turned off the Mavic, switched to RC mode, rebooted everything and viola, it all came up nice.  I played around with the camera, changes it's settings, took a few shots, played with the gimbal by flying it around the room with my hands like a 3 year old, etc.   Eventually I got a low battery warning and my tablet decided to disconnect.  The main DJI GO screen had the green dot and said 'RC Connected' rather than 'Connected', and going to the camera screen just resulted in a black screen, and no readings.  I finally shut everything down and restarted.  I cleared the app cash on my tablet, rebooted, and nothing.  I can't connect no matter what I do.  When I plug in the USB cable my tablet gives me a 'connected as MTP' message (which I don't remember getting the first time when it worked), and the app just stays disconnected from the RC and Mavic.  I'm stuck on a screen with a picture of the Spark.  Changing to Mavic does nothing.

At this point, with all the things I've tried, I'm ready to give up and send the Mavic back.  I was looking for a relaxing hobby.   So far, this is not it.  If I wanted frustrating, I would have taken up golf.

Any thoughts or recommendations before I pack it up and call it a day?
Thanks for any help,
Mike

2017-6-30
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Try to uninstall the app, and make sure to delete any remenants of Dji.
Then do  a fresh install. I would also try a different cable, and make sure the port on your phone and tablet is free of dust.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansa1135964
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-6-30 07:01
Try to uninstall the app, and make sure to delete any remenants of Dji.
Then do  a fresh install. I would also try a different cable, and make sure the port on your phone and tablet is free of dust.

Thanks - will give that a try later today!
2017-6-30
Use props
Rich32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4951 ft
United States

First, you need to use the DJI Go 4 app, (not the DJI Go).  I use the Samsung S2 Tablet.  With that, I have to turn on and connect the drone and tx, then boot up the tablet after.  This may work for your system also.
2017-6-30
Use props
fanscdfb5121
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

Make sure you are using DJI Go 4. Also try putting your device in airplane mode.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansa1135964
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fanscdfb5121 Posted at 2017-6-30 12:07
Make sure you are using DJI Go 4. Also try putting your device in airplane mode.

Thanks guys - yes, I've been using the DJI Go 4 app all along.  I'll try these suggestions as well.  Thanks!

Mike
2017-6-30
Use props
fansa1135964
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok - I just tried some of the suggestions, and a bit more troubleshooting.  I think I figured it out.  The fact that my remote control battery was losing power quickly was the clue.   I was connecting my tablet via USB cable to the standard USB port - but I also had the short phone cable still plugged into the remote.   When I unplugged the short cable from the remote, everything worked.

My 'hypothesis' is that there's a mechanical switch inside the remote charging/data port that configures the standard USB port for charging only when the short cable is plugged in, regardless of whether there is anything connected to the other end of it.  That would explain why things weren't working when the short cable was plugged in, why my tablet was charging, AND why my remote battery was dropping quickly.   My tablet also indicated it wasn't charging once I fully disconnected the short cable from the remote.

Can anyone confirm if my hypothesis is correct?   I'm going to watch my remote battery now to see if it lasts a bit longer now that I know the trick to get it working.
Thanks for the tips and ideas!
Mike
2017-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules