Spark on the Beach/Sand
3880 15 2017-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lfkiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111942 ft
United States

I flew yesterday on the bay here and launched from the beach using a big beach towel.  Takeoff was fine, but when i went to land the winds had picked up (15+ mph), I initiated landing but the Spark missed the beach towel and ended in the sand.  Didn't look like much sand got in the drone, but I blew it out with some compressed air can.  Any advice on landing and taking off from the beach?  landing pads?  or maybe just grab it out of the air.  It was really jumping around as the gusts were hitting it so I'm not sure if I could grab.
2017-7-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Being that the Spark is tailor made for palm landings...why not land it on your palm?
2017-7-4
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Just use palm launch.
Then overtake with your RC or phone. At the end fly in front of you, camera facing towards you.
Change to mode gesture mode.
Hold your hand under the spark and do a palm land. Take a look at the video tutorials for palm control.
2017-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can hand catch, just grab spark and turn it upside down motors will shut down , its very easy to do just grab it behind vision sensors.

One swift move..
2017-7-4
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-4 10:08
Being that the Spark is tailor made for palm landings...why not land it on your palm?

I was thinking of that, but it was jumping all over the place in the wind.
2017-7-4
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-4 10:27
You can hand catch, just grab spark and turn it upside down motors will shut down , its very easy to do just grab it behind vision sensors.

One swift move..

I'm going to try that, although the spark was really getting pushed all over by the wind.  it was trying its best to maintain a static position but the wind was really gusting.
2017-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

lfkiter Posted at 2017-7-4 11:12
I'm going to try that, although the spark was really getting pushed all over by the wind.  it was trying its best to maintain a static position but the wind was really gusting.

Here's a video you will see it's pretty simple but be careful. It's a lot easier than trying to land with your palm opened.

2017-7-4
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

lfkiter Posted at 2017-7-4 11:12

Just my 2 cents - if I were going to attempt a hand catch on a very windy day, I'd have the prop guards on - might save you from needing a band-aid or three.
2017-7-4
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

I use this landing pad  It comes with for stakes so it won't move in windy conditions.  It also works great in the grass -- keeping the gimball free from taller grass and/or wet grass.
2017-7-5
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-4 12:41
Just my 2 cents - if I were going to attempt a hand catch on a very windy day, I'd have the prop guards on - might save you from needing a band-aid or three.

Ya, I had the prop guards on, but I am thinking that the guards actually cause a lot of drag in the wind, and are catching alot of the gusts.  I tested without guards in breezy conditions yesterday and it did much better.
2017-7-5
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-7-5 04:13
I use this landing pad  It comes with for stakes so it won't move in windy conditions.  It also works great in the grass -- keeping the gimball free from taller grass and/or wet grass.

Ya, that looks pretty nice.  We have this very very fine sand here, so I'm trying to avoid launching and landing from the beach.  When it's blowing over 15mph, sand will move down the beach.
2017-7-5
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-4 10:27

One swift move..

Hi, I've seen video on youtube showed this. Could you please help to answer one concern that if this method can affect the drone somehow? Compass sensor for example?
2017-7-9
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Why don't you get one of these landing pads, http://amzn.to/2u6DI6v they fold up around 1/4 of the size, or you could do palm landing
2017-7-10
Use props
42green
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3323 ft
United States

You don't even need to switch it into the Gesture mode / Palm landing, to land it in your hand. Just select the "land at current position" and then put your hand underneath it and the downward sensors will recognize your hand as the ground.
2017-7-11
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-4 12:41

Prop guards protect the props better than they protect fingers - especially in windy weather.  Wear a thin glove and do a grab.  Alternatively try to manually land. Blowing sand on the beach is hard to avoid.
2017-7-11
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

Just hover right in front of you, grab it out of the air and flip upside down, I have been doing this on my boat without prop guards without issue. It's remarkably stable even in the wind, from what I've seen.
2017-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules