1430 18 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Tom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJIfam, here's the latest on irresponsible drone use.  I am in NC where this news report was focused.  But no matter where you are, please exercises responsible drone use to keep our hobby and our profession free of additional government restrictions.  

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/16803498/

2017-7-6
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh boy! People please be responsible pilots and always obey local laws wherever you are.  
2017-7-6
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Sad but true!!!
2017-7-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

David Crabtree? Lol!
2017-7-6
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I believe they caught this guy after he posted pics of the fire.
2017-7-6
Use props
fansa48b05cc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8379 ft
United States

I am glad thy caught him, and hope they throw the book at him.
2017-7-6
Use props
Quadcoptercrazy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1013038 ft
United States

I call B.S
2017-7-6
Use props
fansa48b05cc
lvl.1
United States

BS in what regard?
2017-7-6
Use props
Quadcoptercrazy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1013038 ft
United States

In that they seen a drone, where's the proof?  The fire one sure but the ones where they  say they had to avoid a drone or they seen one below them? Proof? I can say I seen stuff too, does that make it true?
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Quadcoptercrazy Posted at 2017-7-6 09:11
In that they seen a drone, where's the proof?  The fire one sure but the ones where they  say they had to avoid a drone or they seen one below them? Proof? I can say I seen stuff too, does that make it true?

I can just see it now Aircraft calls ATC , we have just spotted drone 100 feet below us. ATC can you take a selfie or some video we need some concrete proof before we act on this. Pilot ok I'll see if Co Pilot can hang out the window and get some proof. LMAO....

while I agree news media may hype up these news stories, no smoke without fire Pardon the pun.
2017-7-6
Use props
fansa48b05cc
lvl.1
United States

Quadcoptercrazy Posted at 2017-7-6 09:11

Oh boy, another "the world is out to get drone operators" post. So, FAA certificated pilots like myself and aviation authorities are just making up drone sightIngs and encroachment incidents because why? We are jealous of the $1,000 toy you are flying? Right.
What I have suggested to the FAA, and what other aircraft pilots I have spoke to would like to see happen is the issuance of a FAR restricting any drone operator who is not a certificated aircraft pilot to Class G uncontrolled airspace and an altitude of no more than 400 feet AGL.

2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Here's one you don't see often.  This from UK Airprox Board.  A drone operator,  flying at 350 ft at a hobby field reports near miss from helicopter flying by at lower altitude.
I wonder how this would have been reported if a collision had occurred.

2017063          10 Apr 17  1230

Puma (JHC)

Drone 5200N 00027W NW Maulden 350ft

London FIR

THE DRONE OPERATOR reports that the drone was at approximately 350ft and hovering stationary above the flying field.  He heard a loud Helicopter noise which and seemed very close by, so he started to descend immediately. He asked his spotter if he could see the helicopter, he saw it almost immediately appear just above the tree line coming from the west at very low level, the spotter shouted to stop descending as the Helicopter was lower than the drone and on a course to where the drone currently was.  He had only been descending for a couple of seconds so he estimates the drone would now be between 250 and 320 feet.  The helicopter, which he is confident was a military Merlin type, then flew underneath the drone. It was hard to estimate the separation, but given his drones altitude was approximately 300ft, it would not have been a large margin.  The Helicopter then proceeded towards the East at "tree top" level until out of sight. He estimates the time frame from hearing the Helicopter to it being overhead was less than 10 seconds and it was travelling at a very fast speed.

Reported Separation: 150ft V/0m H

Reported Risk of Collision: High

THE PUMA PILOT reports that he was on a training sortie which included a transit through the London heli-lanes. After the sortie, an Airprox was filed from a UAS operator stating his aircraft passed close to the drone’s area of operation. Upon checking the NOTAMS there was nothing notified and the crew did not observe the aforementioned UAS.

Comments: The Board were heartened that that the drone operator submitted the original Airprox report, they acknowledged this displayed a good example of best practice. The Board they looked at the actions of the drone operator, they agreed that the operator had endeavoured to separate his drone from the helicopter to the best of his ability by firstly trying to descent his drone then, when he realised the helicopter would pass beneath his drone, stopping the descent until the helicopter had passed. The Board agreed that both aircraft were entitled to operate in the area and therefore see and avoid was an effective barrier in this situation.  

Cause: The drone was entitled to operate at that location and altitude and so the Board agreed that the incident was therefore best described as a conflict in Class G.

Risk: The Board considered that the pilot’s estimate of separation, allied to his overall account of the incident and his ability/inability to avoid the object portrayed a situation where safety had been much reduced below the norm to the extent that safety had not been assured.
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Hi DJI Tom.  An interesting report, but one item the reporter mentioned concern's me.  He mentioned restrictions regarding flying over private property.  I know NC rules have some stalking and harassment language, but I believe they also state that the FAA is the above-ground authority.  What's your understanding?
2017-7-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i clicked on the link too ( a few times) because the site that i linked to does not make much sense to me.
The home page has 6 articles
1- is a product for hair regrowth
2 - is a picture of a rescued dog with a back half to it that looks nothing like any dog i ever seen (i currently have 3 of my own and had another 3 before this, and 3 from my neighbors pretty much live with me and 2 others from neighbors who come to eat my food - i do dog walks pretty much every day of my life in a park with many many many other dogs) aint never seen a dog that looks like that
3. was an article for a Cape Town taxi driver who is now a milionaire - the picture has him sitting as driver in a NY taxi cab - which as a person who lived most my life in cape town can assure you that NY taxi s are not to be found in Cape Town
4. a product for teeth whitening
5. A photo of the weather team - the only thing that looked real on the page
6 - some other article about stock market trading that sounded too good to be true (and they say when it sounds too good to be true is probably is)

This does not seem like a credible news source - sure they did not get the story from CNN :-)
2017-7-6
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-7-6 11:36
i clicked on the link too ( a few times) because the site that i linked to does not make much sense to me.
The home page has 6 articles
1- is a product for hair regrowth

That's known as advertising. They put these links on websites and put pictures with them in order to attract your attention to click them. Lots of news sites do this. In this case, they even tell you who they are sponsored by right underneath.
2017-7-6
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Didn't you know that water stops flowing when a drone fies over it? This is ridiculous!
2017-7-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

ephektz Posted at 2017-7-6 11:50
That's known as advertising. They put these links on websites and put pictures with them in order to attract your attention to click them. Lots of news sites do this. In this case, they even tell you who they are sponsored by right underneath.

I get that it is advertising - i guess i would feel more confident in the news source if they promoted credible products and used credible,  unshopped photos.
If you watched the movie UPSIDE DOWN with Kirsten Dunst  then you will see that a real hair regrowth solution only happens some years in the future - anything else till then is just a hoax, a scam, incredible/uncredible...
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Tom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can respect your position. However, unfortunately, ignorant pilots (people) behaving ignorantly are influencing ignorant and/or self-serving government officials who have and will continue to put more restrictions as a result of their behavior. Anyone who enjoys or benefits from this technology should not stand by idly (or call BS when idiots are called out) while these idiots make things more difficult for responsible drone pilots. So, in my view one should not just worry about one’s self in this case. Ask yourself this; Why do we have the restrictions we have in place now?
I can tell you this, as a certified UAV instructor and a former member of the NC technical committee to review drone safety in our state the FAA and many states are crafting more legislation to add more restrictions on drone use.  So standby idly if you wish, and just watch the government work to keep more of us grounded.
2017-7-6
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-7-6 13:36
I get that it is advertising - i guess i would feel more confident in the news source if they promoted credible products and used credible,  unshopped photos.
If you watched the movie UPSIDE DOWN with Kirsten Dunst  then you will see that a real hair regrowth solution only happens some years in the future - anything else till then is just a hoax, a scam, incredible/uncredible...

Promoted? You still seem to be confused as to how advertising works. Very likely they utilize an ad network. Companies pay the ad network to advertise their products; usually the sites themselves have little control over what gets shown.

My local newspaper website shows the same crap, and I live in a city with millions of people.
2017-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules