975 12 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse2dc5394
lvl.2
Flight distance : 444157 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I have never neen able to initiate Tapfly Backwards as I constaly ger the error message " Cannot enter TapFly Mode: The direction is out of the Forward Obstacle Sensing Range. Tap a different direction."
Can anyone help please?

Michael

2017-7-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Michael,

Have you tried to run TapFly forward and then rotate into the backward position once you start flying?  TapFly sets a course that is confirmed in the forward direction.  Then like CourseLock you can turn around and into any other position with the camera tilted as you choose.  At least that is the way I understand it.

If this works, be sure to turn back around forward before you get too far even though the back sensors may indicate course clear.  And remember that side sensors do not work in TapFly.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-6
Use props
fanse2dc5394
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-6 14:59
Aloha Michael,

Have you tried to run TapFly forward and then rotate into the backward position once you start flying?  TapFly sets a course that is confirmed in the forward direction.  Then like CourseLock you can turn around and into any other position with the camera tilted as you choose.  At least that is the way I understand it.

Thanks, I never thought of that. But I would still lie to be able todo Tap fly backwards as it has been designed.

Cheers,
Michael
2017-7-7
Use props
fanse2dc5394
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-6 14:59
Aloha Michael,

Thanks, I never thought of that. But I would still lie to be able todo Tap fly backwards as it has been designed.

Cheers,
Michael
2017-7-7
Use props
fanse2dc5394
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fanse2dc5394 Posted at 2017-7-7 04:07

Cheers,

This illustrates the problem. Is the something wrong with the P4P?
TapFly Backwards Notofication.jpg
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fanse2dc5394 Posted at 2017-7-7 05:11
This illustrates the problem. Is the something wrong with the P4P?

Aloha Michael,

Did you test it.  From the warning, the forward obstacle sensing is what creates the route for TapFly.  That is the way it was designed.  What you are describing would not be able to use the full capability of the obstacle sensing regime.  The back sensors supplement the work done by the forward sensors.  TapFly is designed for the course set-up to be done by the forward sensor suite.  

Have you tried doing wheelies and camera spirals in CourseLock?  Same idea but with little to very little sensor assistance depending on the platform.

Hope this helps.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
fanse2dc5394
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-7 12:13
Aloha Michael,

Did you test it.  From the warning, the forward obstacle sensing is what creates the route for TapFly.  That is the way it was designed.  What you are describing would not be able to use the full capability of the obstacle sensing regime.  The back sensors supplement the work done by the forward sensors.  TapFly is designed for the course set-up to be done by the forward sensor suite.  

Hi, from all the video I have seen it is the backward sensors that control obstacle avoidance in TapFly backwards and none mention any effect for the forward sensors. In fact, all demonstrations show this mode as simply a reverse of Tapfly forward! So I am at square one here and have no idea why this notification/error message occurs.
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fanse2dc5394 Posted at 2017-7-7 14:34
Hi, from all the video I have seen it is the backward sensors that control obstacle avoidance in TapFly backwards and none mention any effect for the forward sensors. In fact, all demonstrations show this mode as simply a reverse of Tapfly forward! So I am at square one here and have no idea why this notification/error message occurs.

Aloha Michael,

OK, have you tried to test the backward sensors?  How about using another flight mode?  See if you can identify whether the problem is the backward facing sensor or the flight mode.  The flight mode apparently does not work for you but will the backward facing sensor work for other flight modes?

Have you tried the test I mentioned previously?  Videos are notoriously ambiguous to the point that they can communicate misinformation.  You have to test what you think the video is saying.  We had this problem with "Narrow Sensing".  Until you do the test, you will not know.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Michael,

OK, I just watched Ty's video on TapFly.  Let me go out and test the procedure now to see if it adds some new information.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Michael,

Well, I took my own advice and tested the video.  I was wrong.  My last time using TapFly was before the three options.  So, the test was quite interesting.

My TapFly worked as designed, at least as demonstrated by Ty.  But, I was really worried at first because it just would not start flying.  Finally, I realized that you had to tap the "Go" icon again as a confirmation in order to get the program to engage.  Are you using a double tap on the "Go" icon?

Another possible problem is whether you are having the camera face an obstacle.  When the camera faces an obstacle, you are able to use TapFly backward because the obstacle sensing "sees" an obstacle it can use to determine which way is straight back.  If the camera is looking at empty space, it is facing a " .  .  . direction is out of the Forward Obstacle Sensing range."  There is nothing, no obstacle, for the system to use for Backward TapFly.   So it says, "Tap a different direction."

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Michael,

Well, you have certainly gotten me to be much more proficient in the new TapFly!  In that process, I have learned how to get it to stop working and then get it to work again.  There are many other interesting benefits of the program that I learned about.

This brings me to the latest possibilities.  Do your Forward Obstacle Sensors work?  Do you have Forward Obstacle sensing enabled?  Have you tested them in other modes?  In that same area of the General Settings there are sliders for Backward Sensors and Backward Obstacle Sensing.  Are they enabled?

In the meantime, since you have not responded for a while, Mahalo for the thread.  At least I am learning a few new things that I had not gotten to yet.  I used it to fly a mile in 15 mph winds up to the Needle for a PAN today.  Very stable.  Beautiful!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-8
Use props
Flying Horse Im
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-8 23:25
Aloha Michael,

Well, you have certainly gotten me to be much more proficient in the new TapFly!  In that process, I have learned how to get it to stop working and then get it to work again.  There are many other interesting benefits of the program that I learned about.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while as I have been away on a job. Eventually my problem has been solved by recalibrating all the sensors using DJI Assistant 2 and I am now able to engage TapFly Backwards. Tried it out today after the last 2 days storms went away and it works perfectly. Thanks for all your help nonetheless, guys! Cheers, Michael
2017-7-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Flying Horse Im Posted at 2017-7-12 13:26
Sorry I haven't posted in a while as I have been away on a job. Eventually my problem has been solved by recalibrating all the sensors using DJI Assistant 2 and I am now able to engage TapFly Backwards. Tried it out today after the last 2 days storms went away and it works perfectly. Thanks for all your help nonetheless, guys! Cheers, Michael

Aloha Michael,

Good to hear it is working properly.  Your thread has gotten me back using it again.  I had not used it since it was updated to the three options.

Fortunately for me, I had all the avoidance options operational because the first flight I did in "Free" mode, I almost hit the mountain!  Whew, that was a close call.  Apparently, my speed and altitude were not as interesting as the view I was enjoying.  That could have been a very expensive viewing!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules