Should DJI release flight capability "extension packs?"
941 10 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Officewallah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34869 ft
United States

Been running through the various forums over past few weeks and seen the number of mods that are currently taking place to both DJI Go and firmware parameters to extend use of MP beyond stock capabilities. Main reason seems to be is that users don't like being limited in the use of a product AFTER they have already purchased it under a different premise.
In this case, and to control use, would it be benficial for DJI to issue, for a price, a set of flight extension used within current app, that provides overrides to current limitations (still within the mechanical capabilities of the MP) such as speed, altitude, decent, alarms, sounds, RTH, NZF etc. to be used at "owners risk" with no warranty coverage etc.? Seems like the people who really want this would be willing to pay for it (and hence responsible users??). This allows DJI to issue controlled versions of the software (at no addtional liability to them), others can use it as it comes, think of overclocking a computer chip. Seems to me that they should be thinking about how to get ahead of the current trend, rather than trying to to fight a rear guard action. This would never stop determined hackers (who would always want more), but would take away some of the glory, and DJI risk, from them doing it in the first place and as well make the reason moot.

2017-7-8
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

Besides additional capabilities like "speed, altitude, decent, alarms, sounds, RTH, NZF etc." I'd also like the same intelligent modes that Spark has. I'd easily pay for them if they aren't going to add them for free. Video games have IAP "In App Purchase" to allow players to buy new elements. either DJI get's on it and makes money or they are going to have to deal with users hacking/modding their products.
2017-7-8
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

I think a $1000+ craft should have every flight mode a $500 craft has without extra cost (obviously not the ones that use face recognition)  it's pro and higher cost for a reason, so it should get any benefits and options, but looking at the forum posts the mavic needs some priority attention first.
2017-7-8
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I simply cannot condone anyone illegally modifying the Mavic to increase or change performance. If they want a drone with higher or different performance then they should consider buying a racing drone.
Everyone who buys a Mavic is well aware of its maximum performance.
And why should DJI spend time and resources on providing extension packs when the end results, even though the warranty is voided, could still give the company and the Mavic a bad reputation through resulting mishaps.
2017-7-8
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I am guessing any change in performance (beyond the preset limits), will increase wear to components such as the motors, airframe, gimbal etc., and will hence be more likely to break, and hence DJI will no do this.
2017-7-8
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
United States

dancopter Posted at 2017-7-8 23:52
I am guessing any change in performance (beyond the preset limits), will increase wear to components such as the motors, airframe, gimbal etc., and will hence be more likely to break, and hence DJI will no do this.

I am thinking the "no warranty" issue would deal with that, even though I would guess the components are tested way beyond their current "locked" capabilities otherwise DJI would not have these as options in the Administrator settings in Assistant. Even with current restrictions users seem to find ways to avoid compliance with the current rules and guidelines, hence the current mods that are taking place. Also, paying for the pleasure of having this may differentiate those who really want/need this function from those who are modifying the flight parameters because they are upset at DJI limitations.
2017-7-9
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-8 22:32
I simply cannot condone anyone illegally modifying the Mavic to increase or change performance. If they want a drone with higher or different performance then they should consider buying a racing drone.
Everyone who buys a Mavic is well aware of its maximum performance.
And why should DJI spend time and resources on providing extension packs when the end results, even though the warranty is voided, could still give the company and the Mavic a bad reputation through resulting mishaps.

I would argue that people currently buying a MP are well aware of the limitations, but those who purchased before the NFZ lockdown were not, myself included. This was what triggered the current demand to modify the flight parameters. And, users are already flying without regard to rules and guidelines.

DJI would be selling this solution, which is already available in the settings in Assistant. All they would have to do would be wrap this in a package, with what other controls they wanted... say, MP to be logged on at all times (can't use this in airplane mode for instance). So no real cost or resources, but possibly a commercial gain and more (voluntary) control over their end product?
2017-7-9
Use props
Erick705
lvl.2

Canada

If this would not include a warranty and people would have to pay for it, why wouldn't they just do it for free by themselves?
2017-7-9
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
United States

Erick705 Posted at 2017-7-9 07:53
If this would not include a warranty and people would have to pay for it, why wouldn't they just do it for free by themselves?

Use of the software would invalidate the MP warranty, use at owners risk. What you would be paying for could be; official vs unofficial versions, upgrades as new functions added, support, one would be correctly engineered within performance limits, and tested, peace of mind for the end user re expectations etc. The other would simply be "hacked", no certainty around performance, more prone to failure, potentially greater personal liability etc. Also, some people don't feel comfortable modding the software for various reasons, technical/moral, but would like the features.
2017-7-10
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

jamesw Posted at 2017-7-8 10:35
Besides additional capabilities like "speed, altitude, decent, alarms, sounds, RTH, NZF etc." I'd also like the same intelligent modes that Spark has. I'd easily pay for them if they aren't going to add them for free. Video games have IAP "In App Purchase" to allow players to buy new elements. either DJI get's on it and makes money or they are going to have to deal with users hacking/modding their products.

I wouldn't be with paying for extra modes, after buying a £1000+ model and then being asked for more money for a flight mode, it would be a bit of a cheek

I think it is within DJI's best interest to keep releasing new FREE features to their drones that are within the legal limit, DJI cannot stop hacks and mods and there is no point trying.

Apple have been trying to stop jailbreaks for years and the jailbreak team always win. I think its silly to hack a drone that can already do so much just to get extra altitude or speed, if DJI wants to improve a factor of the drone, I'm sure they will as making users pay for speed would really turn a lot of people away from DJI as it would be them limiting our hardware we paid for with software.
2017-7-10
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-7-10 14:16
I wouldn't be with paying for extra modes, after buying a £1000+ model and then being asked for more money for a flight mode, it would be a bit of a cheek

I think it is within DJI's best interest to keep releasing new FREE features to their drones that are within the legal limit, DJI cannot stop hacks and mods and there is no point trying.

Good points, but Apple eventually 'unlocked' their phones because of exactly that. By doing this they took away an incentive for the majority of people who just wanted the option to control which carriers network they wanted their device to sit on. Think NFZ's...

Not sure why DJI would see a business rationale in continuing to give away features that they could charge for, seems like simple supply and demand. There seems to be a demand for "unlocked" UAV's at the moment.
2017-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules