Any Washington, DC Inspire pilots do hands on research of the big safety flyzone
1098 5 2015-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dreday
New

United States

Been looking around the web, through this forum & other forums on the web but haven’t found anyone who has tried to fly an Inspire 1 in the 30 mile Washington, D.C safety fly zone yet. Anyone on here live in DC and have tried to fly anywhere inside this? I’m in the Midwest so I can’t test myself.

I’m curious since everyone has been speculating that all DJI Quadcopters can’t fly there but haven’t seen any legit info on it or if it’s only in regards to Phantoms. It seems by what every firmware release literature has stated that the Inspires are only only limited to the usual restricted safety fly zones and not the huge DC one too.

Reason why I’m curious is that I’m trying to help a friend shoot some crane/jib arm type shots for short he is shooting on a University campus, that he’s gotten permission from, that’s inside the huge DC safety fly zone. Not looking to get to high, probably a max of 100ft or so.

I’ve done test around my area in a safety fly zone areas but only to 50ft, and since I was getting the yellow flight restriction light sequence and didn’t want to push it. I’d really like to know what it’ll do in the DC area to a max of roughly 100ft. I’ve contacted DJI directly with a phone call and asked if I gave them an exact address could they tell me the limitations, they stated that as reps they don’t comment on safety fly zones besides what’s in the manual and on the website, big surprise and don't blame them.

So anyone out there have any chances to test this yet? It’d save me a long trip to DC if any has facts or especially hands on knowledge of this.

Thanks

2015-3-19
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

Good luck. Dji hates America. I'm,looking for new manufacturers without the over zealous no fly zones. Looking at hubsan or 3d iris as they don't seem to be so anal when it come to no fly zones.
2015-3-19
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

From what I understand you can't even start the motors within the 15.5 mile no fly zone. I live just within the no fly zone and fly my phantoms all the time but that was before the retarded firmware update. Everyone is over reacting to drones and grounding them at the latest news... The guy who flew the phantom into the White House blamed it on a fly away and the U.S. government after some forensic testing agreed he was not controlling the phantom when it crashed  and won't be charged.. Classic fly away...dji should be banned and grounded....lol
2015-3-19
Use props
sasalito
lvl.1

United States

I found some nice places to fly out in Manassas, I live in DC and I am always looking for fellow DJI and other Drone Pilots to fly with.  Add me as a friend on here.  
2015-8-4
Use props
b10lm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 643 ft
United States

I have been using an iPhone App called Hover that gives me some useful information. By the end of the year, the  FAA is coming out with their own App for us (I suppose) that will take some of the mystery out of the airspace restrictions  out. Is currently in Beta testing. Is called B4ufly or something like that.
2015-9-1
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

I live here and have flown with aluminum foil over the top middle. I use ATTI mode and get no orientation control. Peculiarly the flight logs say that the GPS is weak but it still tracks the flight somehow... apparently not enough to trigger the "No Fly Zone" blockage.  I have posted in another thread on this subject.
2015-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules