Securing Phantom SSID
12Next >
4211 41 2015-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Another question here - Has anyone connected to your phantom SSID before you could?  I understand that only one device could be connected but isn't it a linux kernel that others could conenct on and do bad things.  Is there a way to do secure connection only to your SSID with something like a WEP2/WPA or something?
2015-3-19
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

No one out there wants to steal your Phantom.
2015-3-19
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

There are third party apps out there that let you add a WPA password. FYI multiple devices can connect to the Extender and you can also connect more than one DJI vision app to the Phantom however only the first connected gets FPV and GS access.
2015-3-19
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-20 09:24

You are probably right Gerry.  Mine is simple out of the box unit - I bet you guys have modded it so might be a prime target   I'll get there one of these days haha
2015-3-19
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-3-20 09:27
There are third party apps out there that let you add a WPA password. FYI multiple devices can conne ...

Will modifying to do WPA void the warranty?  Can you recommend a few you've used?  If only the first connected gets FPV and GS then what does the second one get? Or, does it just lockup or crash the app?

Thanks
2015-3-19
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

tolanid@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-20 09:34
You are probably right Gerry.  Mine is simple out of the box unit - I bet you guys have modded it  ...

I'm looking to modify one of my Phantoms to an 8 motor Phantom this summer.
2015-3-19
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-20 09:39

I would love to master the ones that came with this   If not,  I will need 8 to fix these after I crash them
2015-3-19
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

tolanid@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-20 09:36
Will modifying to do WPA void the warranty?  Can you recommend a few you've used?  If only the fir ...

doubt it voids the warranty, just don't forget your password.  Do a search in the App/Play store for vision+   and look in the description if they include  Password protection of the Extender.  Other instances of the DJI vision App do still have access to the settings and therein  is the problem
2015-3-19
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-3-19
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

did you see the pics of my friends phantom with the 8 motors?
2015-3-19
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

Who cares if someone connects to your wi if video connection. It's not like your phantom is going to lose control and come crashing to the ground. I lose video connection all the time. Phantom sucks at wifi video
2015-3-19
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

United States

rdc4444@hotmail Posted at 2015-3-20 11:41
Who cares if someone connects to your wi if video connection. It's not like your phantom is going to ...

They still can gain easy access to the Groundstation programming .

A personal choice Just like password protecting your home Wifi and I think the OP received his answer for his choice possibility
2015-3-20
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

It will decrease your range by 10%  http://phantommods.info/effect-on-wifi-encryption-for-fpv-range/
2015-3-20
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

Are you gonna feed it steroids..lol.
2015-3-20
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

did you see the pics of my friends phantom with the 8 motors?

Gerry, I'd like to see it.. sounds cool!!
219ow2g_th.jpg
2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Thanks guys.  I just got my trackimo and I think that is enough to keep me busy for this weekend.  Just finished a flight with little snow.  Now I'll wait until the snow is done
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

TheRann4u Posted at 2015-3-21 05:28
Gerry, I'd like to see it.. sounds cool!!

Here is the photo below that I have.
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

This is a Phantom 2 on steroids.
158_u7sBYymPaL6trUpIyFJ9A3vGD73BXVu3.png
2015-3-20
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

There is an FPV Booster App (for iPhone anyway) that will allow you to password protect your wifi, and even use different channels.
That said, Gerry is right. How many people are there in the world right now that are walking around trying to steal drones, and then what are the odds that one of them will be where you are flying your drone?
RDC is right too. All they would be able to do is move your camera around and maybe access your SD disc (which, depending on what you film, could be a bad thing . It can't do anything to take control of the Phantom.

Barney
2015-3-20
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

This is a Phantom 2 on steroids.

Wow!!! that's Beastmode!!! any video of a flight???
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

TheRann4u Posted at 2015-3-21 08:34
Wow!!! that's Beastmode!!! any video of a flight???

http://www.flytrex.com/johnnytruesdell/

This is the guy that built and owns it.  He lives about 40 miles from me.
2015-3-20
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

That's Cool.. Thanks for Sharing Gerry. Make Sure your Post image's of Heathcliff or Gurtrude in .....BEASTMODE
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

TheRann4u Posted at 2015-3-21 09:05
That's Cool.. Thanks for Sharing Jerry. Make Sure your Post image's of Heathcliff or Gurtrude in ... ...

Heathcliff might be getting a rebuild this summer.
2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-3-21 08:26
There is an FPV Booster App (for iPhone anyway) that will allow you to password protect your wifi, a ...

Thanks Barney.  I have seen the FPV Booster App but have not used it.   Again thinking that could that interfere with anything else and could I lose my new toy in under one week   

Have you used this App Barney?  Any thoughts?

I agree with Gerry that nobody wants to steal my Phantom.  I am in the suburbs of NY/NJ and people have their doors open here.    I don't have anything that I don't mind people seeing in this camera   haha - just kidding.  hmm, Am I ?

I'll share my video from few hours ago in snow covered land

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wuosl ... f%20Spring.mp4?dl=0

I am trying to figure out how to make this a small size video so I can put it in the forums.  Again, Any thoughts?
2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-21 08:40
http://www.flytrex.com/johnnytruesdell/

This is the guy that built and owns it.  He lives about 4 ...

Hey Gerry - In that video on Flytrex's website there is audio recording that seems to be coming right on the phantom. Do you know what he is using?  I've seen some solutions but usually there isn't anybody to talk to up there at that altitude except for the prop sound but thought I'll ask anyway

Thanks
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

tolanid@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-21 09:17
Hey Gerry - In that video on Flytrex's website there is audio recording that seems to be coming ri ...

He edits his videos.  Not sure what program he uses.
2015-3-20
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

tolanid@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-21 09:08
Thanks Barney.  I have seen the FPV Booster App but have not used it.   Again thinking that could  ...

I have used it when planning on going a long way out from 'home'. I'm on the fence about whether or not it is really helping strengthen the wifi signal, but there are several things that will effect your reception, so hard to say there. It does, however, let you password protect the network and change channels. I believe it defaults to channel 1, but gives you up to 11 or 12 channels to work with. I do think I get better coverage on channel 11. For the price, I am glad I bought it and will probably buy another for my iPad now that I have one and can't use more than one device on the network. Nice video, by the way. You are brave flying in the snow like that. Not that I wouldn't, but....  

Barney
2015-3-21
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236230 ft
France

I have bought THIS
and set a wpa protection.
this protection is still there after a reboot
But after a reboot, wifi power is reset to it's standard value.

Now, all users thinking it's safe  not to secure your connection, because only the camera is involved  : NO your are wrong :
the mac adress inside the dji android app is the one from the PV drone, not from the camera
Id est, the one you can get doing ssh root@192.168.1.1 (password 19881209) ( just write ifconfig ):

A very easy way to check the mac address if you have a wrong qrcode !!!
Mine is F6:AD: 42:38:83:35

The drone speaks to the camera through it's network, camera address is 192.168.1.10. it's Mac is different, not used by dji app.
It also speaks ti the wifi repeter (192.168.1.2) (password 19881209)

The password  : everybody can find it on the internet (it's 123456 for the camera)
Then once connected, just type server stop ( I could mention something much more harmfull to erase all the linux filesystem )
An easy way to crash your drone.

By the way, ssh connections enable you to understand color correction used with this drone (an icc profile for those working with the raw format for example)
You can write files on the filesystem - I've written a file with my name, address, phone number.
But if you have some linux command knowledge, you can do much more.

So yes tolanid, les than 9€ is unexpensive - the bonus is you can fly up to 2.5 km without mofifying any hardware !
2015-3-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rdsb Posted at 2015-3-22 01:52
I have bought THIS
and set a wpa protection.
this protection is still there after a reboot

If someone has the knowledge to hack into your phantom network so he can steal a 1200 dollar machine, why would he do that?  He has the knowledge to hack into bank accounts and get a lot more than 1200 dollars.  Don't be so paranoid, no one wants to steal your phantom,  They have bigger prizes to go for.  Besides, the Earth is going to be hit by an 8  mile diameter asteroid next year and all life on this planet will be extinct.  
2015-3-21
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
France

Gerry1124 , you do not have to buy this piece of software.

I just answered to tolanid :
Is there a way to do secure connection only to your SSID with something like a WEP2/WPA or something?

Answer is yes, it's not expensive. I bought this sotfware because it's a VERY easy way to boost the wifi !
And if you do not want to spend 10 $ to secure it, it's also easy to secure it yourself with the ssh connection .

As you said , you spent +- 1200 $
10 more and your product is secured.
.8% : it's not that expensive - I'm not paranoid at all. Just curious.

And when I buy a product, I try all it's features. I know all I can do with the wifi and ssh connections. Few people have tried this type of connection on this forum.
For me, it's as interresting and useful as the Pc or mac software used to calibrate / upgrade this PV2+ drone.
I understand a command line interface is boring for 99% of us. You do not have to use it too !

2015-3-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rdsb Posted at 2015-3-22 02:56
Gerry1124 , you do not have to buy this piece of software.

I just answered to tolanid :

I get 2200 feet distance on stock equipment right now.  I don't need or want to go any farther.  I'm not worried about someone stealing my Phantoms.  I don't fall for the scare tactics of the government or anyone.  
I have my A+ certification and my Microsoft networking certification,  I know how to hack into a lot of things, but not interested in hacking into a quad copter.  It's not worth the time.  Just my opinion.
2015-3-21
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
France

Gerry1124  

You do not answer to tolanid. We are not allowed to give wrong informations to other members.
Can we make any unsecured PV2+ fall down for example ? YES. Will someone do it  is another question and answer does not really matter
You are allowed not to be concerned with the security (B T W,  I suppose you're using a password to connect on this forum and if I follow your point of view, who wants to write here with your login name, so, why do you  !)

If tolanid wants to secure his PV2+ wifi, this will not annoy any of us.
I did it, again very unexpensive, it's probably unuseful, but who knows.
You're A+ certified - this is a good point, but this will not help tolanid, unless he his your neighbour.
He is probably certified too, as I am, as many others are.

Security should be a concern for all of us, this is only my opinion (and probably the opinion of tolanid too.)
2015-3-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rdsb Posted at 2015-3-22 14:50
Gerry1124  

You do not answer to tolanid. We are not allowed to give wrong informations to other m ...

He can use anything he wants and scare anyone he wants.  I can also tell anyone I want that the  chances of someone actually stealing mine or your phantom for that matter is about .00000000000000001 %.  You are right, it is your opinion and my opinion also, and I never said he was giving wrong information to anything like you are now doing with me.
2015-3-21
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

China

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-3-22 01:00
I have used it when planning on going a long way out from 'home'. I'm on the fence about whether o ...

Hi Barney, you said "For the price, I am glad I bought it and will probably buy another for my iPad now that I have one and can't use more than one device on the network."

Are you talking about buying another copy of FPV Booster for your iPad?

When you buy this app in iTunes, it is registered to your iTunes ID. You can install it on other devices linked to your iTunes ID. And if you had in-app purchases like the flight tracker feature, just click "Restore In-app Purchase" in the "About" menu and they'll load as well. No need to purchase another copy. Cheers.
2015-3-22
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

godfrey.dayo@po Posted at 2015-3-22 22:09
Hi Barney, you said "For the price, I am glad I bought it and will probably buy another for my iPa ...

Yeah, I wasn't sure how that worked. I just got the iPad. Still looking for the "Phone" icon! Glad to know and appreciate you lookin' out for me.  I'm going to be trying it today if the sun will come out for a while.

Thanks!    Barney
2015-3-22
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
France

1. @Gerry1124
  2. I can also tell anyone I want that the  chances of someone actually stealing mine or your phantom for that matter is about .00000000000000001 %
Copy the code
A hunter guy in france found recently a PV2+ while hunting in the woods. He requested help to connect his camera. With the Wifi protection, no way to connect to the PV2+ Wifi  (We did not help him, but he can succeed) See this french forum
You're really too optimistic : in french we say " on ne vit pas dans un monde de bisounours"
Today, everything is stolen, some people are not honnest !
Today, people know "how to", robbers are not stupid
Today, some want what others have !

.00000000000000001 % ... even with 1 million worlds , earthes this would never happen.
And do not reply the PV2+ has not really been stolen, and we french people are not honnest.
Otherwise, the guy who encountered a flyaway could have found it, in the woods or just asking our french "gendarmerie"

Securing you PV2+ connection is a simple thing to do. If you do not want to spend 9€, install luci on your PV2+, and activate wpa : it's free.
Sorry for my english, I try to write the best I can, but I'm french- this point you can criticize !
2015-3-24
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rdsb Posted at 2015-3-24 16:06
A hunter guy in france found recently a PV2+ while hunting in the woods. He requested help to connec ...

Mine don't just fly away.  When I'm finished flying for the day, they go home with me.  You said he found it in the woods so he didn't hack into it to steal it.   There's a BIG difference there.
2015-3-24
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
France

Ok Gerry, now suppose one member (not you) lives near someone not so honnest. (upstairs, underneath, etc...)
While he is transferring his pictures and videos to his computer (we can suppose some PV2+ users shoot pictures and videos, and have no sd-card readers) ( of course, you have one), his neighbour connects to the Phantom_xxx network.
He can copy some pictures from the drone to his computer. And share this stuff on youtube.
Linux or Osx:
scp -r root@192.168.1.1:/mnt/sda/DCIM/100MEDIA/* /home/your account/yourFolder
Windows :
pscp -scp -unsafe root@192.168.1.1:/mnt/sda1/DCIM/100MEDIA/* C:\Dji
(pscp is a free software)

He can also erase the whole filesystem with Putty (windows) or a terminal (linux or Osx)
I agree, the PV2+ has not been stolen, but the owner will not be really happy.

With a wpa protection, his neighbour cannot do anything.
But who wants to copy our videos, as the world is "paparazzi free"
I would really love living in your world.
2015-3-24
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rdsb Posted at 2015-3-24 23:44
Ok Gerry, now suppose one member (not you) lives near someone not so honnest. (upstairs, underneath, ...

First, he is going to have to know within a minute when my Phantom is turned on.  Whenever I turn the Phantom on, I immediately connect to it.  
BTW,  I don't live in a city, I'm out in the country side.  If you live in the congested city, you can worry yourself sick.  I don't worry about it at all.  My house door is never locked, My computer network system is locked down so I don't think anyone could connect with it either, even when I'm gone.  Good luck with your health.  I'm done responding.
2015-3-24
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Jerdel Posted at 2015-3-21 04:41
It will decrease your range by 10%  http://phantommods.info/effect-on-wifi-encryption-for-fpv-range/ ...

What an odd little site.  They have about 4 articles and all are about WiFi.  All the other tabs are basically blank.  

Thanks for the link.
2015-3-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules