Compass error
1528 10 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Attila
lvl.1
Flight distance : 801 ft
Iceland

I got this error when flying my mavic , i am new to the mavic and trying to be safe pilot so thats why i decided to post question about this error ,  is it error from my site,  from drone or other ?

vlcsnap-error506.png
vlcsnap-error625.png
2017-7-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The best way to try to find out why this happened is for you to retrieve the DAT file associated with the flight from the Mavic, upload it to DropBox (or something similar) and provide a link to it in this thread. The directions for retrieving the DAT file are here and the correct one should have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size.
2017-7-11
Use props
Attila
lvl.1
Flight distance : 801 ft
Iceland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-11 10:23
The best way to try to find out why this happened is for you to retrieve the DAT file associated with the flight from the Mavic, upload it to DropBox (or something similar) and provide a link to it in this thread. The directions for retrieving the DAT file are here and the correct one should have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size.

Ok thanks , i will do this when i get home
2017-7-11
Use props
Attila_Ice
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19354 ft
Iceland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-11 10:23

i have few dat file in folder

folder for DAT
2017-7-11
Use props
Attila_Ice
lvl.1
Iceland

Attila_Ice Posted at 2017-7-11 16:53
i have few dat file in folder

I also had issue with account when changing email address ,  that's why you see me posting first as Attila because that was my old email and that account and points to post so.. but will use this account from now on
2017-7-11
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Do a compass calibration away from metal, concrete, cell towers, take out any keys, phone watch etc.and then try it again!
2017-7-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Attila_Ice Posted at 2017-7-11 18:11
I also had issue with account when changing email address ,  that's why you see me posting first as Attila because that was my old email and that account and points to post so.. but will use this account from now on

FLY106.DAT appears to be the correct file. I've looked at it and I doubt that a compass calibration would have prevented this. In fact, it looks very similar to what I saw here and possibly also here and in both those cases the pilot experienced compass problems even after calibrating the compass.

What all three of these have in common is that they were flights that occurred at high latitudes, and I believe that BudWalker's theory is probably correct that the compass wasn't reliable enough to consistently support stable flight in those areas. That theory seems to be supported by what I'm seeing in the DAT file from this flight and I've included a graph below.

What it shows is that even without rudder input (the turquoise plot), the magYaw value / compass reading (blue) oscillates a bit starting at around 445, and those oscillations roughly correspond to minor changes in heading detected by the gyro (green). In other words, it appears that when the Mavic's flight controller (FC) rotates the aircraft slightly to try to achieve a particular compass heading the compass indicates that it overshot that heading, so it rotates slightly in the opposite direction but overshoots again, etc. Eventually this triggers ATTI mode (around 467) and it recovered only after your rudder input (starting around 488) caused yaw and magYaw to converge, at which point it reverted back to P-mode and you were able to continue flying normally.

Of course this explanation is just a theory, but it's interesting that we've seen something like this several times in the past week and each time it occurred during flights at high latitudes. And of course even if the theory is correct it doesn't tell us whether this problem is specific to certain Mavics or is common to all of them, so it's not clear whether a replacement would work better than the Mavic you already have.

What I'd suggest is that you contact DJI about this, mention these findings, and see what they're able to figure out. Since I've seen several of these now I'm very interested to hear what their response is, so please do follow up in this thread and let me know how it goes. Good luck.
Compass_Error.png
2017-7-11
Use props
Attila_Ice
lvl.1
Iceland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-11 19:03
FLY106.DAT appears to be the correct file. I've looked at it and I doubt that a compass calibration would have prevented this. In fact, it looks very similar to what I saw here and possibly also here and in both those cases the pilot experienced compass problems even after calibrating the compass.

What all three of these have in common is that they were flights that occurred at high latitudes, and I believe that BudWalker's theory is probably correct that the compass wasn't reliable enough to consistently support stable flight in those areas. That theory seems to be supported by what I'm seeing in the DAT file from this flight and I've included a graph below.

OK thanks for your time to look at this,  i was in area that had no flight restriction,  and i had calibrated mavic close to the location i was at and made sure i had nothing on me and far away from car . There is nothing there in the area that should cause this issue and you can see in the video that the mavic is drifting a bit and rth home error comes regarding no fly zone.  I had read here in forum about canceling rth to gain control again and i think that saved my drone from drifting away , there was a point where i thought i was going to loose it. Only reason i have not flown my drone much is i read about lots of problem regarding mavic and i think P3A was much more stable device than the mavic  but was looking for compact travel drone .   again  thanks for looking in to this , much appreciated
2017-7-12
Use props
Attila_Ice
lvl.1
Iceland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-11 19:03

I have contacted DJI support and will give update as soon as i get them ,  regards
2017-7-12
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Attila_Ice Posted at 2017-7-12 04:21
OK thanks for your time to look at this,  i was in area that had no flight restriction,  and i had calibrated mavic close to the location i was at and made sure i had nothing on me and far away from car . There is nothing there in the area that should cause this issue and you can see in the video that the mavic is drifting a bit and rth home error comes regarding no fly zone.  I had read here in forum about canceling rth to gain control again and i think that saved my drone from drifting away , there was a point where i thought i was going to loose it. Only reason i have not flown my drone much is i read about lots of problem regarding mavic and i think P3A was much more stable device than the mavic  but was looking for compact travel drone .   again  thanks for looking in to this , much appreciated

I also looked at this flight. I can't add much beyond what DroneFlying observed. There was some TBE which often accompanies compass issues. See attached. The TBE occurred immediately before the COMPASS_ERROR_LARGE and YAW_ERROR_LARGE errors.

I'd like to emphasize DroneFlying's point that it's just theory that the high geoInclination help caused this incident. It's technically plausible but needs to be tested with more data. One thing that concerns me is that the Mavic has been around for 9 months now and we're are just starting to see this high geoInclination susceptibility.
AttilaIce.jpg
2017-7-12
Use props
Attila_Ice
lvl.1
Iceland

BudWalker Posted at 2017-7-12 16:10
I also looked at this flight. I can't add much beyond what DroneFlying observed. There was some TBE which often accompanies compass issues. See attached. The TBE occurred immediately before the COMPASS_ERROR_LARGE and YAW_ERROR_LARGE errors.

I'd like to emphasize DroneFlying's point that it's just theory that the high geoInclination help caused this incident. It's technically plausible but needs to be tested with more data. One thing that concerns me is that the Mavic has been around for 9 months now and we're are just starting to see this high geoInclination susceptibility.

Thanks for giving some time to look at this ,i do appreciate everyone's help.

I did sent question to DJI regarding this issue , default answer was to refresh firmware and update app, but I already consider that I have made refresh install of firmware due to battery loop problem, there I needed to downgrade firmware and install loop battery and re upgrade firmware.

I have requested if I can get detailed and logical explained answers but it´s like support service tries to avoid to answer any question about possible cause. I have given them all Dat files and video to maybe explain issue regarding to flight data but now support ask to have it sent to service center for analysis, I am skeptic about sending it in without getting some explanation about the error and why they think in need to be shipped to service center. I would think that they would look at data before requesting to send in the drone.

Just for the record support center has replied every email quickly and I am happy with their email respond time, I live in Iceland and very reluctant to send drone for service to the Netherlands without getting some idea if this is possible manufacture issue or not.
I purchased Mavic in may so I have not much flight time with it, mostly because I have had so many small issues,  and during the flights I have done with the Mavic it feels harder to control(drifts) compared to P3A, also all those falling down the sky post keeps me on my toes regarding my flights.

Everyone is talking about drones and flight safety then for sure it must be required that the manufacturer provides users service that also meets these safety requirements when problems are reported and give detailed answers.
2017-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules