unable to calibrate compass
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ninjapimp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 198222 ft
United States

every single time i go to fly the drone i get this problem. when i try to calibrate the compass is errors out stated bias differential too great, states drone is not on a flat surface.
but its 100% flat. on a paved asphalt street. no matter where i put it prevents calibration because it things surface not flat.

so far, i've never calibrated the compass and when i tap the RTH button it always comes back to right place
2017-7-14
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

They do not need to be calibrated every flight.  Doing so is more likely to lead to a bad calibration and fly away.  I would only calibrate if you've just updated your firmware or the app tells you to do so.

Have you tried calibrating in a different location?  It could be sewer pipes or rebar under the road surface that's causing the issue.
2017-7-14
Use props
ninjapimp
lvl.1
United States

no matter where i go, all in different places. i try moving down the road or another place. no matter where i go it never calibrates, states some msg that the ground is not flat despite it being flat.

despite never having calibrated the compass, its always returned to right place. but to be fair i usually fly it back myself. i dont have much of a need for the RTH function.
2017-7-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-7-14 12:29
no matter where i go, all in different places. i try moving down the road or another place. no matter where i go it never calibrates, states some msg that the ground is not flat despite it being flat.

despite never having calibrated the compass, its always returned to right place. but to be fair i usually fly it back myself. i dont have much of a need for the RTH function.

Aloha ninja,

You have Compass Calibration confused with IMU Calibration.  IMU Calibration requires a flat surface - and that is very important!  Compass Calibration is done standing and holding the Phantom while you rotate it in 360 degree circles.  We call this the Compass Dance.

Try to figure out which calibration the Phantom is telling you you need to do.  The instructions for Compass Calibration are on page 57 of the P4 Advanced Manual.  The instructions for IMU Calibration are in the Sensor System part of the General Settings option of the Flight Desktop.  The Sensor Systems option is in the Aircraft icon on the upper left.  There is also an IMU test on that page that will tell you if you need to calibrate the IMUs (there are two and calibrated at the same time).

The manual is available in the "Downloads" page of the DJI, P4 Advanced web page.  Here is the link.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ss

Now you know that you haven't been trying to calibrate the compass.
But why were you wanting to anyway?
It's completely unnecessary and you should go to the top of p57 in your manual to see what DJI recommends instead of just doing it because you feel like it.
Rather than improving your Phantom's performance and making flight safer, you could have the opposite effect.
2017-7-14
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

A couple of good tips;

Don't calibrate unless needed I have machines that I only get calibrated every 3-6 months unless I'm flying in an area such as close buildings or towers.

Don't hold your transmitter or set it close to the machine when calibrating

Move far away from your car or any obstruction during calibration.

Regards Mike
2017-7-14
Use props
ninjapimp
lvl.1
United States

every time i turn on my transmitter and drone, it nags me to do the compass dance. because it nags me i try to do compasss dance. the other nag is imu calibration which i've not been able to successfully do. i've read the manual and followed the steps, i just gets stuck like on step 2, never seems to get past it.
the bias differential error msg appears for reason i dont understand telling me its not on a flat surface. the nags dont prevent me from flying, they are just nags that always appear and thought best to try and calibrate to get rid but not having luck.
every time i do the compass dance it fails. i dont know what to tell you, i'm doing exactly as shown. my understanding is, your suppose to do the compass dance each time you fly from a different spot.
2017-7-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-7-14 17:24
every time i turn on my transmitter and drone, it nags me to do the compass dance. because it nags me i try to do compasss dance. the other nag is imu calibration which i've not been able to successfully do. i've read the manual and followed the steps, i just gets stuck like on step 2, never seems to get past it.
the bias differential error msg appears for reason i dont understand telling me its not on a flat surface. the nags dont prevent me from flying, they are just nags that always appear and thought best to try and calibrate to get rid but not having luck.
every time i do the compass dance it fails. i dont know what to tell you, i'm doing exactly as shown. my understanding is, your suppose to do the compass dance each time you fly from a different spot.

When you do the compass dance, always rotate a bit further than 360 degrees each time.
2017-7-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-7-14 17:24

every time i turn on my transmitter and drone, it nags me to do the compass dance
Unless you have something wrong with your compass (unlikely), this is an indication that you are close to a lot of steel (maybe reinforced concrete?) or electrical cables.
The appropriate action is to move away from the magnetic influence causing the issue.

my understanding is, your suppose to do the compass dance each time you fly from a different spot.
You need to go back and re-read the top of p57 in your manual because it doesn't tell you to do that at all.
2017-7-14
Use props
ninjapimp
lvl.1
United States

p57 clearly states
Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so.

so because i see a nag on the screen i try to calibrate compass.

i'm in the middle of no where!!! i'm way out int he stick, no homes nearby, no wires, nothing at all and yet it fails on compass dance. i've tried various styles of compass dance but everytime it tells me to retry.
i have latest firmware on the drone and the RC is also up to date. i checked last night. all is up to date.

i've tried compass dance is many places, in a park, parking lot, etc
meh at this point i'm giving up as it seems pointless but it a lil conerning because i get the nag and a red alert msg stating to calibrate hence why i make the effort when i have time or i think location is good for an attempt. I live in houston so i travel outside city limits to fly the drone.
2017-7-15
Use props
ninjapimp
lvl.1
United States

hello
i'm still trying to find an answer to my dilemma.
when i turn on the RC and drone, the RC does constant beeping. i see two obvious error msg, one is the calibrate compass and other abnormal firmware.

i try to calibrate compass but always fails with same msg saying strong magnetic interference, despite the fact i'm way out in the country with nothing near me, like farmlands, no power lines, nada yet it wont calibrate no matter how many times i attempt the calibrate dance.

the beeping is truly annoying, but i figured i can turn off RC, turn it back on and it stops beeping, and the error msgs just go away.

i dont understand why it says abnormal firmware?

is there a way to prevent the beeping? this always happens the first time i turn it on to fly the drone.
fyi - i travel and i was told when you travel more than 100 miles you should calibrate compass. thus far it has never been able to calibrate, no matter where i'm at it always says strong magnetic intereference.

is there a way to contact DJI for actual support? these forums look like they are run by members....how do i open a case number so i can get proper technical support and i suspect something is genuinely wrong with my unit.

2017-7-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-7-29 07:35
hello
when i turn on the RC and drone, the RC does constant beeping. i see two obvious error msg, one is the calibrate compass and other abnormal firmware.

When you attempt to calibrate aircraft, you are not wearing any watches or rings that may interfere, RC should ideally be at least five yards away from you.

As for the RC bleeping have you tried resetting it and calibrating the RC ?

* Turn on the controller, the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote if needed.

This can be done manually (without using DJI Go):-

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button (top left button) on the controller, then the controller will beep 'D-DD'.
*Let go all fingers, then press the wheel on the right side of the controller (It's a 'click wheel', similar to a mouse wheel) and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon.

2017-7-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-7-29 07:35
hello

i try to calibrate compass but always fails with same msg saying strong magnetic interference, despite the fact i'm way out in the country with nothing near me, like farmlands, no power lines, nada yet it wont calibrate no matter how many times i attempt the calibrate dance.

Go into your Sensor Data in the app settings and see what it shows for the compass.
You may have a problem with a compass disconnected perhaps.
2017-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules