Gesture controls are a joke
1308 14 2017-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparky Tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 442011 ft
United States

I have managed to get these to work a couple times. But more times than not, I am trying to show off for a friend and it just keeps failing. Embarrassing. I much prefer to fly with the RC and my ipad mini 4. Anyone have consistant good results from gesture control?
2017-7-14
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

No problems for me with gesture control. Only negative -> still waiting for a „start record“ gesture.
2017-7-14
Use props
WiredGuy
lvl.1
Canada

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-14 12:18
No problems for me with gesture control. Only negative -> still waiting for a „start record“ gesture.

It took me forever to get the "Away" gesture to work, but otherwise I think the gestures is actually the only thing about the Spark that I like. The rest of the flight modes are really flaky at best.
2017-7-14
Use props
Advan031
lvl.2
Flight distance : 161663 ft
United States

It's a bit finicky but hopefully it gets better with firmware.
2017-7-14
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-14 12:18

There's another thread about video working in guesture mode, so a guesture may happen in the future.
2017-7-14
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nixtoo Posted at 2017-7-14 12:35
There's another thread about video working in guesture mode, so a guesture may happen in the future.

That you can press record is nothing new in gesture mode.
A gesture for start recording will come. Dji confirmed this already.
2017-7-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried gesture control one time, I motion for the spark to take a selfie and it took of flying to the left in a circle, crashing into my porch. I'm going to wait till DJI squashes the bugs.
2017-7-14
Use props
fans639062c4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18399 ft
Belgium

Working good so far for me at the moment.

You have to mimic the gestures very precisely as described in the (video) tutorials and it definitely works.

Waiting for the video gesture as well ;)
2017-7-14
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

It doesn't work for me at all.
2017-7-14
Use props
LintStalker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36588 ft
United States

Before showing your friends Anything, I would practice in a large, open area, alone first!  I went to a park with only my wife around (to hold my RC, in case of a problem).  At first, Sparky wouldn't recognize me, but that's because the sun was directly behind.  Once I moved so that the sun was off to my right, it recognized me immediately.  It took off from my hand and the I was able to control it with my hand held up.  I watched the lights in the front.  Green, means it's tracking, yellow means that it has lost me.  I practiced that for awhile, and then landed on my hand.  I did this a couple times.  Then I took a selfie.  I would have done the fly away and active track, but it was a little windy so I decided to wait till better conditions.  Practice, practice practice.  Then show friends.  You will wow them!
2017-7-14
Use props
42green
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3323 ft
United States

I haven't had much success with my first Spark and gesture control. Finally got my combo and haven't even tried it. Remote is all ill use from now.
2017-7-14
Use props
meepmeep
lvl.1
United States

A lot of youtube videos I see that fail have multiple people in the shot, and sunglasses on. When i tried I didn't have issues but I didn't have other people in the shot. For group shots obvi this would be an issue but I think if people can keep their arms down it would work after the main person set up the shot. Post video of it not working so we can give you feedback!
2017-7-14
Use props
sagigeva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 576319 ft
United States

I've been flying DJI products for multiple years now and I am an advanced user. I've had partial success with this mode, it was working once and then at one time it just went really high in the air and stayed there until the battery ran out. Luckily for me I was in a field and it just landed on the grass.
I wasn't so lucky 3 days later, when I tried this mode by a lake. Spark took off my hand and then started flying away from me. Within 10 seconds it was hovering over the lake, and then just dove in it and disappeared.
I didn't have my phone connected to the drone at the time, so couldn't provide any logs for support, the biggest problem is that DJI won't admit that they have issues with this mode and won't take responsibility. $500 down the drain a week after I got it. I would recommend against buying or using the palm launch mode.

Shame on you DJI!
2017-7-14
Use props
Evel Knievel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 539852 ft
United States

I've had to practice at them quite a bit but now I can get them to work 80-90% of the time. Regarding the sunglasses, I haven't had any problem at all wearing them while doing the gestures.
2017-7-15
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

Monochrome Posted at 2017-7-14 13:19
It doesn't work for me at all.

I take that back. I tested it today so I don't know if it was lighting or clothes or maybe combination of both but I played with gestures two times and it worked flawlessly.
2017-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules