Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Asking for constructive criticism. .
2408 13 2015-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MainlineAerial
New

United States

Just finished my first serious attempt at a film with my Inspire and it be great to hear back from the community. I shot this footage over the last two weeks in my area and am really happy with the overall outcome. Most scenes were shot using the histogram and overexposure overlay for the first time, and after watching Jim Hare video's, (which im quite grateful for) I am getting a crasp on the basics. With that said, I know I have much to learn about the complexities of this equipment, but am eager and excited to improve with each shoot! I also havnt yet attempted shooting in Log and color grading I'd like to add, I'm taking one step at a time. . . So tell me what you think. . and yes I know I had two shots with the landing gear down and propellers in frame , auto landing gear up filmware update Tahoe Ed?

2015-3-20
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Cool!   That first clip could be the first shot in a movie, amazing!

You clearly already know about the landing gear and props in frame etc.    You know if you use the auto take off it automatically raises the landing gear right?   I do that as a matter of habit so I don't need to think about it.   It's easy to notice when the automatically retract when you are 1 meter off the ground so it reminds you to put them back up.

I noticed a lot of small movement corrections in the camera.  What camera mode do you shoot in?   For the best results you should shoot in FREE mode, which means the gimbal is compensating for all movement of the Inspire in every direction.   Or were you moving the camera with the remote during shots?   

My recommendation is to NOT move the camera during shots unless you have the rate slowed to a snail's pace.   To me these moves look robotic, unnatural, and instantly change the viewing experience from an art film to a hobby video.       I don't mean your footage specifically, just whenever I see camera moves in Inspire footage.  Yech!   

The other thing is look for opportunities.  I noticed in the snow footage there were some amazing tracks in the snow.  I would have totally followed them doing several passes with angles straight down and 45 degree angles at different heights.  Would make a cool edit.   So when you're in an environment look out for the most interesting thing and make it a focal point.

You did a very good job with exposure!   When you get into shooting LOG and then messing with the color in post you will have a blast.  Takes things to a whole new level.

Again, that first shot rocks!   Reminded me of Fargo!
2015-3-21
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Don't forget to raise the landing gear.
2015-3-21
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-21 19:01
Cool!   That first clip could be the first shot in a movie, amazing!

You clearly already know about ...

Hey, first just wanted to thank you for all the great input, greatly appreciate it! I was shooting in follow mode by default. I had played with the settings a few weeks ago but have to admit had not yet completely figured them out. I will make sure to use free mode going forward! I was disappointed with the movement, chalk it up to learning curve. Also never used auto take-off, will try that now!

I actually believe it or not had footage following tracks but in haste could not locate those few clips. I may have deleted them in fact sadly as I moved most footage off my MacBook to a 2TB ext drive I bought for footage. If I find them, I will def add them to it!

I'm starting to get a good grasp on exposure but still have much to learn! When you shoot early or late in the day, if you shoot away from the sun and then toward, I assume you have to change settings? You can tell at the dam shot, one clip looks better then the other, as It was 3pm and didn't change settings as I changed direction.

Funny you made the Fargo comparison, was exactly what my boss said   Thanks again!!!
2015-3-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

MainlineAerial Posted at 2015-3-23 09:20
Hey, first just wanted to thank you for all the great input, greatly appreciate it! I was shooting  ...
No problem at all, happy to comment.

I think follow mode keeps the movement/nudges of the Inspire but FREE definitely compensates for them and looks smooth as butter.

You have to check and be prepared to change settings on almost every shot.   Leave the histogram and overexposure meters on all the time and be sure to glance at them as you're setting up a shot.  The histogram should have the wave as far to the right without going off the scale.  Do some practice shots before getting amazing footage.   WIth the overexposure meter it's okay to have a few of the brightest spots slightly clipped, you just don't want the majority of the image.
2015-3-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Guys this is amazing talk about taking it to the next level!!
I learn something every time I log in here and from this thread I learned to shake the fear and use the free mode when shooting
Also I've been watching all the tutorials and may have missed how to toggle the histogram and exposure meters on the app.
Any nudge here would be appreciated..I know this... I as well as many here probably have been using test footage to edit via the techniques Jim has shared.
This opened up such a cool aspect of post I cannot ty you enough for sharing this with this community !
Funny, I also dislike when I see this cam pan it looks so unnatural .
2015-3-22
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Definitely very nice! I am drawn to water and simply loved your video
2015-3-22
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Great job! and since you are asking for observational criticism I won't feel bad. Jim is bang on as usual, but assuming you dial in the technical issues, and I know you will, then content becomes the next phase. I noticed the advert for property in there, but the main focus seems to be the water. You come back to the weir on more than one occasion, it is cool but I'm guessing the weir comes for free. So the property needs more focus. The land must be seen to connect with the water and the homes must be part of the land. How can you tell that story? Can you start with the drive through the trees?  Show the the front door of the home and fly backwards gaining altitude to reveal the spread of the land, then pick highlights and do mini focuses on them. Each focus could have interesting details like the tracks? Use features like fence lines and tree lines for perspectives. But for me the main problem, short of the technical aspects, is the content. Water is a natural draw, the real trick is to make the land stand out and use the water as an added bonus, icing on the cake.
2015-3-22
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-23 10:25
No problem at all, happy to comment.

I think follow mode keeps the movement/nudges of the Inspire b ...

Great advice, thanks again Jim!
2015-3-23
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-23 12:13
Guys this is amazing talk about taking it to the next level!!
I learn something every time I log in  ...

Glad you benefited from this exchange!  Jim made a great tutorial about histogram and overexposure, link below. Hopefully this helps!

2015-3-23
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-23 14:00
Great job! and since you are asking for observational criticism I won't feel bad. Jim is bang on as  ...

Thanks, gave me some good input to consider!. I appreciate the idea's on adding more depth to the shots on land. I will say however, as I don't know the homeowner, was a little reluctant to fly up to their front door But to be clear, I was flying over conserved wet lands and not the property owners. Thanks again!
2015-3-23
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Oh, I thought you were making a real estate movie. But I still say that water seems to be an easy target for most of the videos going around. It's an easy winner but it's much harder to get great land footage. Terrain choice is a tough one. I am going to buy a frame pack this week so I can hike up the Adams River trail, not far from my house. There is a beautiful canyon on the river that rafters shoot. But that is not the real reason I want to go there. In about two weeks the glacier lilies and balsom root start to flower profusely throughout the canyon. As it has been said many times, timing is everything. So I think that a normally boring chunk of trail can transform like a butterfly for 1 maybe two weeks a year.
2015-3-23
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-24 11:59
Oh, I thought you were making a real estate movie. But I still say that water seems to be an easy ta ...

I understand where you are coming from, and appreciate your critique. I think now I will give a little more thought to my shoots, til now its been mostly spontaneous. Although spontaneity can lead to great discoveries, a plan will provide better results overall!

I am looking to buy a pack soon, its a must have! Out of curiosity I googled the trail you speak of, Wow, what a great canvas! Look forward to you sharing some of your work with all of us here! Good luck with your film and thanks again!
2015-3-23
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Just noticed histogram is a toggle in the app I could find that anywhere...uh .

Jim Im making these video my religion!! Bravo sir!
2015-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules