MP batteries on planes
1155 10 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tiredtim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51106 ft
United Kingdom

I'm about to fly to Italy from the UK and was considering taking my MP with me. I've had a gander on the airlines website and it appears that you can take Lipo batts on in your carry on luggage. They have to be less than 30% charged but can't find much more than that. As anyone taken MP batts on a plane?
If so, who precautions/ special measures did you take?
How many batts are you allowed to take?

Thanks
2017-7-17
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

OK. Just found this. each battery in a sealed plastic bag (or dedicated fireproof bag, for LiPo batteries) and having the exposed terminals covered with duct tape is mandatory. Both, Li-Ion and LiPo batteries are prohibited in checked baggage and are not allowed to exceed 160Wh
2017-7-17
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

each battery in a sealed plastic bag (or dedicated fireproof bag, for LiPo batteries) and having the exposed terminals covered with duct tape is mandatory. Both, Li-Ion and LiPo batteries are prohibited in checked baggage and are not allowed to exceed 160Wh
2017-7-17
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
France

tiredtim Posted at 2017-7-17 10:10
each battery in a sealed plastic bag (or dedicated fireproof bag, for LiPo batteries) and having the exposed terminals covered with duct tape is mandatory. Both, Li-Ion and LiPo batteries are prohibited in checked baggage and are not allowed to exceed 160Wh

That is all you need. You are good to good. I prefer the fire proof individual pouch and plastic covers for the terminals.

Post some vids!
2017-7-17
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-7-17 11:35
That is all you need. You are good to good. I prefer the fire proof individual pouch and plastic covers for the terminals.

Post some vids!

Cheers for that. Fingers crossed for some good weather!!
2017-7-17
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

tiredtim Posted at 2017-7-17 13:05

To put it simply:

- Mavic batteries are <100Whr - so you can take as many as you want,

- better to use a LiPo bag - one is enough for 3 for example,

- best to use plastic contact covers to appease the security people,

- you can put a Mavic in your checked-in luggage with the battery attached - as long as it is protected against shortcircuit (and it is if it is installed in the drone) - but I would advise against it because it doesn't make much sense,

- you can put your remote in your checked-in luggage - no worries there (non-removable LiPo - perfectly fine).

The above I've done quite a few times, no problems to report till now. Cheers!
2017-7-17
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Mavic battery is 43.6 Wh rating so well below airline restrictions.  No need for any sort of bag, stick some tape over the contacts if you really must but its not essential.
2017-7-17
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tiredtim Posted at 2017-7-17 13:05

Good luck mate!
2017-7-17
Use props
pgaryga
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30295 ft
United Kingdom

Did you have any problems? I'm hoping to take a phantom 4 pro on a flight from the UK next week.

Thanks,

Pete.
2017-8-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just flew domestic last week, I brought two batteries with me in a lipo bag with covers on the electronics and one battery in the MP all with about 30% charge on them with no problem.
2017-8-25
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

pgaryga Posted at 2017-8-25 02:56
Did you have any problems? I'm hoping to take a phantom 4 pro on a flight from the UK next week.

Thanks,

Hi, Just back from my trip to italy.
As advised I had all 3 batteries at 30%. 2 where in a safe guard battery bag (for the MP batts) with covers on the terminals. The other was on the Mavic. The controller was also down at about 40%.
I had absolutely no issues. Neither of the security checks showed any interest.

Hope your trip goes well.
2017-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules