1083 8 2017-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just received my Spark yesterday. Got the batteries and RC all charged up.  I got the 'fly more' combo, so I had those two batteries and also purchased a thrid from B&H (I consider them a trusted source). I really like the 'panel charger' that lets you charge 3 batteries at the same time. That's going to be a great help.   
Today, spent the morning updating the RC, and AC, then the firmware, then finally activating the Spark to my account.  I decided to give it a test flight.
After reading the several posts here of problems, I was concerned about several possible issues and VERY watchful of this little guy (Not that I'm usually not with my other UAV, just being a little extra careful).  I had my iphone 6s connected to the RC via wifi (I have a cable, but wanted to do this the way it's laid out in the book for this flight) and started up the AC. I got a green GPS lock and was good to go. As soon as I took off, I noticed that the Spark started to just turn on its own. I was like.... "what is this"... I glanced down at my phone and, sure enough, a compass error.

I powered it down and moved several feet. I was a few feet from a metal building (trying to stay out of the heat!)  LOL

Powered everything up again and this time good GPS again, checked the position of the arrow in the small 'radar' screen and even moved around a bit to make sure it stayed steady.
Took off again and didn't go any higher than a few feet. I was also over grass for most of the flight (NO WATER!).
The battery wasn't at 100% after all the updates and activation, so I only got to fly for about 5 minutes. The battery was at 28% when I landed it, so I could have gone a little bit longer as it was very close to me the whole time. I did manage to get it out to a distance of just over 100 feet (that's distance from me, not altitude).  I had no disconnect from the RC to the AC and everything seemed as normal as my other drones.  So, so far, so good. I know it's WAY too early to be confident and I'm not.  Just wanted to share a good flight experience on this Friday!  

The Spark holds it hover position very well and it's very quiet -  I like that. I love my P4P, but that thing is LOUD!  I'd like to do work for clients with the spark and I can't image trying to fly over an outdoor wedding with the P4P. Talk about being a distraction! I doubt anyone will even know that the spark is there!  

I did shoot some video while it was flying around just to check the quality. I haven't done that yet, but if there is anything to report there, I will. I know it's not 4k, but from what I've seen online (Youtube and such), the quality seems very good.

Again, I've only had 5 minutes in. Way too soon to celebrate a problem free machine, but at least I didn't have any issues out of the box. That's a good sign (I think).

Have a good day fellow pilots!   :-)

2017-7-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's amazing how many get caught out taking off from unsuitable location, at least you were vigilant and had plenty of time to correct. Enjoy.
2017-7-21
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

I have to shoot next Sunday and I do not know if 2 batteries are enough.

Can I buy a third fourth battery?

Or Spark falls to the ground?
I'm confused

2017-7-21
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks. Yeah, I firmly believe that there is one (or more) issues with this product. Too many experienced users with similar problems for it to be just user error.  However, Like any product, there will always be a percentage of 'lemons'.  Hopefully, mine isn't one. That's all I can hope for.  But, yeah, it's up to us to do our part of course.  :-)
2017-7-21
Use props
DroneinMI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27536 ft
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-21 07:50

I have 6 batteries and never had a problem.

However, I make sure to let the Spark cool down 5 minutes between flights which is very important.

For those flying on multiple batteries and experiencing problems, I'm not sure if they allow the Spark to cool down between batteries/flights.
2017-7-21
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-21 07:50

There's really only one way to find out.  I would certainly avoid flying over water and extreme heights for the time being. Just my opinion (and plan).
2017-7-21
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like a good beginning.  I have had my Spark for  1 month now, and flown at least 20 days.  So far no problems.  I connect my iPhone via the RC wifi.  I don't worry too much about range, because I do stick with line of sight flight. With my eyes, about 300 ft. is my line of sight limit.  My Spark has performed flawlessly.  I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.  
2017-7-21
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-7-21 10:50
Sounds like a good beginning.  I have had my Spark for  1 month now, and flown at least 20 days.  So far no problems.  I connect my iPhone via the RC wifi.  I don't worry too much about range, because I do stick with line of sight flight. With my eyes, about 300 ft. is my line of sight limit.  My Spark has performed flawlessly.  I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks!  I hope so too!
2017-7-21
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

DroneinMI Posted at 2017-7-21 08:13
I have 6 batteries and never had a problem.

However, I make sure to let the Spark cool down 5 minutes between flights which is very important.

I really doubt the shutdowns and the subsequent crashes are related to the drone's temperature , since in a lot of cases it happened around the middle of the first flight. I really suspect  a sudden spike in power draw or some wrong readings from another sensor (temperature ?) that confuses the "intelligent" battery processor and causes it to shutdown. Also, a cold battery on a hot drone is better than an almost empty but hot battery on a hot drone.

That being said, I have around three hours of fly time and I've almost never flown less than two batteries. No breaks in between. Today, it was five. I do have my own share of strange things happening (compass calibration error, wrong location on the map with GPS on & locked - probably glonass related) but I try my best to avoid taking off with warnings and such. Heat ... not a concern imo.
2017-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules